Medicine and weight??? Help please!!!

Options
I've gained a lot of weight lately, and most of it is due to medicine I sorely need, but makes me gain weight and shoots my prolactin up the roof. The catch is, I need to lose the weight, but I also need to take my medicine. Anyone here who's losing weight while on medicine that makes you gain weight or makes it difficult to lose weight? How do you do? Are there any tips to follow? Pretty please!!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I understand if you don't want to tell us what particular ailment you're suffering from and what medication you're on, but without that information I can't give you much advice other than watching your calorie count.
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    I'm on escitalopram, clonazepam and I've been on ariprazol, risperidone, etc... on and off, because they're trying to find the right medication and dose for me :(
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I was on Seroquel when I was detoxing and it's somewhat similar to risperidone. The weight gain people experience from these drugs are typically due to increased appetite. Are you taking multiple doses per day or just once a day? When I switched from taking Seroquel 3x a day to 1x a day (at night) it helped me control my appetite. I would just take it right before I went to sleep so I wouldn't have a chance to experience the "Seroquel munchies".
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    I'm taking escitalopram once a day, in the morning, clonazepam 3x, and abilify at night. That's a good idea, switching to night to avoid the munchies...
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Anti-psychotics are known for weight gain usually through overeating. Watch your calories and stay away from sweets. I absolutely could not control my sweets. Once I started I could not stop myself. I know they make you tired, but try to keep moving throughout the day. I'm glad your concerned about it. I just didn't care about anything and gained 100 lbs from them.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I take Depakote as an anti-convulsant, but the drug is also an anti-depressant. It is one that can cause weight gain, or make it difficult to lose weight. My doctor told me to lose the weight that was causing high blood pressure readings, or he would put me on a different anti-convulsant so I could lose the weight. Needless to say, after about 18 years of being seizure free on Depakote, I was not thrilled about the idea of switching. So, I joined MFP and the rest is history. Was it easy? No. But I counted my calories religiously, started exercise a couple of months in, and lost 20 pounds. My blood pressure is down, my strength is up, I'm sleeping better, and I feel great. You have to just do it. It is hard to sit across from hubby eating a salad while he is wolfing down wings and fries and beer. But, it is worth it. And every once in a while I have a couple of wings and a beer, too. That's the beauty of a life-style change.
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am on Depakote, Lamictal, and being weaned off Lithium. I agree so hard with the poster who suggested staying away from sweets. If I can avoid chocolate/pastries all together, it is easier than having a little bit, because that little bit makes me crave them so much.

Definitely stay on your meds, as you already know. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 3 1/2 years ago, and it's only been in this past year and a half that we've hit upon the right 'cocktail'. Hang on for the ride during the meds adjustments, and you'll make it. You can always add me as a friend, if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    Anti-psychotics are known for weight gain usually through overeating. Watch your calories and stay away from sweets. I absolutely could not control my sweets. Once I started I could not stop myself. I know they make you tired, but try to keep moving throughout the day. I'm glad your concerned about it. I just didn't care about anything and gained 100 lbs from them.

I'm glad too, I'm the heaviest I've ever been, but I noticed as soon as my normal clothes started feeling too tight. It's hard work trying to lose weight when you're on medicine that makes you gain weight, and you're taking them because you have a debilitating issue that prevents you from having the will to do it (or any other thing), it's kind of a catch-22, but I guess fighting it with less success than others is better than not fighting at all, therefore failing miserably.
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    I completely understand what you are going through! I have Lupus and have been diagnosed Bipolar I for 12 years now. I take Zyprexa, Haldol,Lithium, Klonopin, Cogentin for Bipolar. I cannot change my meds because this combo is the ONLY one that works ( I have tried everything and have been hospitalized several several times. This is the only combo that keeps me out of hospital). This combo SUCKS for everything but my brain because it hurts my kidneys and has made me gain over 120 lbs!!

My Lupus meds are no better. I take steroids about every 3 months and pain killers like Hydrocodone to keep symptoms at bay. I exercise as much as I can (which is nearly every day), but when I have joint pain it makes it a real challenge.

Because of my weight, I have high blood pressure too. My Lupus attacks my sack around my heart, lungs,kidneys and joints.
    I desperately want to lose weight to look and feel better but my health and meds make it so hard.
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    I wonder if there's a group for people trying to lose weight while on medication/illness.

Yeah, this does suck. Now I have to take Invega, to see if it has fewer side effects than Abilify. And it just goes on and on. I truly admire you for being on the weight loss wagon with bipolar and Lupus.
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    Im not sure if there is a group for people on meds trying to lose weight, but there really SHOULD be. That is a good idea. So many are like us and it is an uphill battle. Not to diminish other weight loss battles (because all have their challenges and I look up to anyone who makes it through such struggles and prevails) but these medicines make us gain weight. We cannot stop them either and actually need them to function and live. This makes our uphill battle harder than most, in my opinion.

Thanks for the compliment.I am encouraged and inspired by your efforts (I know how hard it is with taking medicines like Abilify) as well :) I hope you find medications that work well for you so you can get the peace, happiness and health you deserve