HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Options

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    WHY HAS IT TOO ME SO LONG TO FIND PEOPLE THAT UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS IS LIKE! thank you guys to have helped me understand what my body needs i think i will start at 1200 then slowly work it up to 1600 im so scared of gaining more weight its unreal but as least i have MFP to help me through if i do gain THANKS GUYS you have stopped me from starving myself lol

Keep in mind that when you first increase your calories, you may gain a few pounds at first. Don't panic! This is normal as your body adjusts to the increased fuel. Just be patient, and the scale will start to decrease again. This may take 3-4 weeks, so wait at least that long before you decide if it's working for you. Good luck!
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The cliched "you didn't put it on in a month/quickly don't expect to take it off quickly" is a cliche for a reason... It's true! I didn't lose weight at 1200 kcal, I was hungry a lot and I didn't have energy for my runs. It just seemed counterintuitive to me to eat more, I was like Hmmm if my BMR is 1450 and I eat LESS then the amount it takes to sustain my vital organ function.... Well then the weight will FALL off. That kind of anorexic ballerina girl thinking in my 20s really screwed up my metabolism, and yet I returned to that thinking when I realized my weight was at an all time high. I quickly plateaued and rather then RESTRICT more I started eating like the thin person I wanted to be (i.e. the TDEE of a 5'6 120-130 lb woman) and voila it worked. Maybe I didn't lose it as quickly as some and I still have a ways to go but I'm happy and I've accomplished new fitness goals r/t running, cycling and training and the changes I've made are sustainable.
  • Black_Widow1976
    Black_Widow1976 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    if you really want to see the weight gone...you need to workout 5-6 times a week. sorry but 3x a week won't do it. I used to weigh 265 lbs and at the moment i weigh 158 lbs. I am also 16yrs older than you :ohwell:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if you really want to see the weight gone...you need to workout 5-6 times a week. sorry but 3x a week won't do it. I used to weigh 265 lbs and at the moment i weigh 158 lbs. I am also 16yrs older than you :ohwell:

false
  • Black_Widow1976
    Options

false

how is what i said false ( keep in mind women do lose weight differently than a man would)?
  • Black_Widow1976
    Options

false

how is what i said false ( keep in mind women do lose weight differently than a man would)?

No, calories in vs calories out. the same for everyone.

that is true but men do seem to lose weight faster *shrugs*

every trainer i have talked to tell you to work out for 5-6 days a week even if its just a 30 min walk.
  • taso42
    Options

false

You said "if you really want to see the weight gone...you need to workout 5-6 times a week. sorry but 3x a week won't do it." This is false.

You don't have to do any exercise to lose weight. You simply have to control your calorie intake.

every trainer i have talked to tell you to work out for 5-6 days a week even if its just a 30 min walk.

Exercise has great benefits and everybody ought to d it. But there is no magic weight loss thing that happens when you've hit 5 exercise days a week vs 3.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

false

^^^^this^^^^

It is calories in vs calories out. You do not need to workout every day. The deficit is built in for the activity level you choose. If you can not work out due to physical limitations you can still lose weight with a calorie deficit.

You work out to improve your health not you weight. Cardio helps with heart health and endurance but strength training helps your balance and bone health. It also helps change your shape and strength training can help you lose inches/sizes.
  • Black_Widow1976
    Options

false

You said "if you really want to see the weight gone...you need to workout 5-6 times a week. sorry but 3x a week won't do it." This is false.

You don't have to do any exercise to lose weight. You simply have to control your calorie intake.

Exercise has great benefits and everybody ought to d it. But there is no magic weight loss thing that happens when you've hit 5 exercise days a week vs 3.

are you a certified trainer?
  • Black_Widow1976
    Options

false

^^^^this^^^^

It is calories in vs calories out. You do not need to workout every day. The deficit is built in for the activity level you choose. If you can not work out due to physical limitations you can still lose weight with a calorie deficit.

You work out to improve your health not you weight. Cardio helps with heart health and endurance but strength training helps your balance and bone health. It also helps change your shape and strength training can help you lose inches/sizes.

if you have some physical limitations but are able to walk...15-30min 5-6 times a week WITH cutting back on calories will get you to your goal faster than sitting on your butt. i started out with just walking 15-30 mins 5-6 days a week with eating less calories.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options

false

I can say yes. I can also say most trainers are full of crap.
    Oh snap!
  • Black_Widow1976
    Options

false

I can say yes. I can also say most trainers are full of crap. Reminds me of a debate I got in to with my biochemistry friend. She said "talk to me when you get your PhD" i said "what does it matter? Dr.Oz has a PhD"

i was in the same boat as OP and i was working out 3x a week...it got me no where..lol when i increased my works to 5-6 days THAT is when it really started coming off.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

This might help. More is not better, anymore.
    http://www.theiflife.com/cardio-priority-fat-loss/
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the OP (original poster), and good luck with your weight loss. A good tip is to measure yourself regularly, once every couple of weeks or so, as you will find with exercise, your shape changes, even when the scales don't seem to move.

And good for you for listening to the advice... many of us have been through 'diets' of all sorts, and then when we went back to 'normal' eating, the weight crept right back on again. What most of us are doing now is trying to re-educate ourselves into a healthier way of living, sensible eating, sensible exercising. That way we hope the weight we lose will never be found again!

One other point that might help is to be aware of your portion sizes. You don't need to be obsessive about weighing everything, but just do it once with each sort of food get an idea of how much a 100g serving of pasta or potato looks like. Sometimes people who aren't losing are actually eating much more than the portion they are entering on the food diary. We are very good at fooling ourselves that we are only having one scoop of icecream, when we are having a huge scoop, and it all mounts up!!!

So I am not 'dieting' but learning to control my 'need' for biscuits and crisps - I still have them, but not in anything like the quantity I used to, and the weight is coming off slowly, with some weeks when nothing comes off at all - usually because, if I am honest, I have sneaked an extra biscuit and not recorded it faithfully.

So persevere and you WILL achieve the shape you want to be for the rest of your life!
  • taso42
    Options

non-sequiter.

are you a chef? how were you able to make dinner last night?

are you a professional driver? how do you drive to work?

get a grip, use some common sense and critical thinking.

by the way, sure, I can take the exams and get my personal trainer certifications. that won't make anything I say any more credible. I can still tell you complete bull****, and people like you will buy it.
  • taso42
    Options
    i was in the same boat as OP and i was working out 3x a week...it got me no where..lol when i increased my works to 5-6 days THAT is when it really started coming off.

Keeping calories constant this makes sense as this would have increased your deficit. Like Pu said, you could have just as well dropped your calories.

Or are you just trolling? Damnit, you got me.
  • Black_Widow1976
    Options

false

^^^^this^^^^

if you have some physical limitations but are able to walk...15-30min 5-6 times a week WITH cutting back on calories will get you to your goal faster than sitting on your butt. i started out with just walking 15-30 mins 5-6 days a week with eating less calories.

There is a limit to how much calories you can be in deficit from(exercise and/or diet). You can't get away with massive burns. What you're saying is generally correct. It really boils down to calorie burns. For me I burn about 1000 calories 3x a week. That's the same as working out 6 days a week and burning 500.

As I mentioned before there have been times I didn't workout and I still lost weight. Taso is saying "you don't have to exercise 5-6x a week(or whatever you said) you have to be in a calorie deficit" that's the point he's trying to make.

well..instead of saying false he could said what you did..lol i have the opposite happen when i don't workout..i gain. OP seems to want to get rid of the weight fast..perhaps for her increasing to 6x a week would do the job. i find if i change my workout every 2 weeks helps a lot.
  • taso42
    Options
    well..instead of saying false he could said what you did..lol i have the opposite happen when i don't workout..i gain. OP seems to want to get rid of the weight fast..perhaps for her increasing to 6x a week would do the job. i find if i change my workout every 2 weeks helps a lot.

I'm not a trainer, remember? You're not paying me a consultation fee. I am under no obligation to spoon feed you or anyone else here. Those with the motivation and critical thinking skills will be able to sort things out with just a little nudging here and there.
  • Black_Widow1976
    Options

non-sequiter.

are you a chef? how were you able to make dinner last night?

are you a professional driver? how do you drive to work?

get a grip, use some common sense and critical thinking.

by the way, sure, I can take the exams and get my personal trainer certifications. that won't make anything I say any more credible. I can still tell you complete bull****, and people like you will buy it.

dude..chill out:huh: you are being a jerk about this. if you don't like what i am saying than just ignore me. I posted what i did cause it worked for me and to give OP some ideas to help her get closer to her goal.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    WHY HAS IT TOO ME SO LONG TO FIND PEOPLE THAT UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS IS LIKE! thank you guys to have helped me understand what my body needs i think i will start at 1200 then slowly work it up to 1600 im so scared of gaining more weight its unreal but as least i have MFP to help me through if i do gain THANKS GUYS you have stopped me from starving myself lol

I think this is a good plan considering the feedback. I'm glad you are smart enough to take the suggestions offered to you and brave enough to make a change. I can't imagine surviving on 800 calories but the fact you have been doing that says something about your commitment level and discipline. So now that you have the right numbers and are armed with the facts it should be easier and funner to start your new and improved MFP member approved plan and I can't wait to hear from you in a couple of months saying you feel great and are having success! Good Luck you can do it!