BIRTHDAY CAKE

Options
AggieLu
AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
I love to bake and I'm currently looking for a unique birthday cake idea.... (cake, icing, filling, anything.. please HELP!)

Replies

• Zandia_1
    Zandia_1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to know the age of the B-cake recipient.
  • cobleshuffl
    cobleshuffl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you can use boxed cake mix and just add 1 can of any type of diet soda to it- nothing else. Bake as directed. It"ll save on the oil and egg calories, and it comes out really moist.

I've also done angel food cake with light coolwhip and fresh strawberries to top it off.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to know the age of the B-cake recipient.

31: it's for my birthday party.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I love to bake too.

Diet-ish: Angel food cake with fresh strawberry filling and Lemon Glaze made with lemon juice, powdered sugar, and lemon rind (or if you like the diet sweeteners you could try the one that claims to measure like sugar).

Go for broke: White cake with strawberry jelly or smuckers simply fruit spread and regular vanilla frosting with coconut pressed onto sides.

Blend: Angel food cake with coconut flavoring added, then bake as usual. Smuckers simply fruit spread in strawberry then topped with vanilla flavored yogurt or some greek yogurt concoction. Served fresh of course because yogurt topping is perishable unlike frosting which can stick around all day. I'd make this as a bundt shape and then drip the yogurt over the sides and then probably sprinkle a little coconut or slivered almonds or cinnamon on top for prettyness depending on your eating plan.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Chocolate silly
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    you can use boxed cake mix and just add 1 can of any type of diet soda to it- nothing else. Bake as directed. It"ll save on the oil and egg calories, and it comes out really moist.

I've also done angel food cake with light coolwhip and fresh strawberries to top it off.

Really? That sounds weird! I might have to try that.
  • melinda3792
    Options
    My birthday is Saturday! :) Not to ruin your festivities of course, I always opt for cupcakes. They are set portions. I have requested anything low fat with low fat cream cheese topping. Of course the chef (me) always listens..HA!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    What kind of cake do you like? It's your birthday :) Have your fave!

Red velvet with cream cheese icing?

Carrot cake, cream cheese icing? (I'm a fan)

Chocolate cake with chocolate ganache (chocolate overload, very rich)

Tiramisu cake? (my favourite. very boozy and light but rich tasting)

Aaaaaand...now I want cake. :grumble:
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    bump
    looking for an idea for my husband's birthday cake as well!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Found a great link!

http://bit.ly/XyehS7

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • pgrant0328
    pgrant0328 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Really? That sounds weird! I might have to try that.

Any flavor of cake mix and any flavor of diet soda? Oh what possibilities. :smile:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    flaxseed cake with a protein sludge icing
  • Burtowski
    Burtowski Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I was decorating cakes, my most popular seller was a french vanilla cake with a lemon mousse filling, and buttercream frosting. The mousse is made with a pint of whipping cream and a box of instant lemon pudding mix. Easy and when paired with the french vanilla cake not overly lemon-y, just a subtle lemon flavor.
  • healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I second this recipe. I made it last week for a co-workers birthday using chocolate devils food cake, cherry coke zero and 2 egg whites (don't need them but it helps make the cake fluffy) - bake as directed on box. FF Cool Whip with Duncan Hines Frosting creation packet (cherry vanilla) mixed, spread on cake. 97 calories (24 servings). Delicious.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
  • SoontirFel
    SoontirFel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake. Just don't put any raisins in it. Fruit of the devil, I tell you.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yellow Cake (makes one cake layer)

Updated on 12/12/12: Removed the step of oiling the sides of the pan.
    Updated on 11/4/12: Changed the amount of vanilla extract to 1 tablespoon.
    This tip from Mila in the comments section is great: Use a spring form pan, line the bottom with baking paper as suggested, but do not oil the sides so that the cake clings to it and rises higher. When the cake comes out of the oven, invert it on the pan so that it can maintain its height during the cooling, then run a sharp knife around the side and release from the pan when the cake is completely cool.

Ingredients
    3 large eggs
    4 tablespoons of honey (or other sweetener)
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    1 teaspoon of vinegar (for the egg whites)
    1 tablespoon of lemon juice
    1/4 cup of oil (or melted coconut oil, unsalted butter, or ghee)
    1 tablespoon of vanilla
    1 cup of almond flour (finely ground, blanched almonds)
    Preparation
    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
    Prepare an 8 inch spring-form pan (or a round cake pan) with a circular piece of parchment paper to place on the bottom of the pan. This allows you to remove the cake from the pan without it sticking. To yield the circle size I need, I place the cake pan on a piece of parchment paper and trace a circle around the pan.
    Separate the egg yolks and whites. Place the yolks in a separate mixing bowl, and then beat the egg whites with the vinegar until it’s just starting to get bubbly and soft peaks form.
    To the yolks add the honey, baking soda, oil, vanilla, and whisk to blend well.
    Add the lemon juice to the egg yolk batter and whisk to blend well.
    Fold the whipped egg whites into the yolk mixture, and then finally add the almond flour to the batter and whisk to blend well.
    Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the center is not soft and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
    Optionally, you can invert the cake when it comes out of the oven in order to retain it’s height, and then once it’s cool run a knife along the sides to remove it from the pan. Otherwise, cool the cake and run a knife along the sides and remove the cake from the pan. If you’re using a spring form pan, you probably won’t need to run a knife along the sides.
    Finally, remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake, frost and enjoy!
    http://comfybelly.com/2011/03/yellow-cake-using-almond-flour/#.UPQilR1lFQD
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    it's your birthday! Eat what you love most and screw the calories! (or exercise first to give yourself a good calorie berth)

I make a lot of cakes (side business) so if you're looking for visual ideas check out my site: http://www.facebook.com/MiraColeCakes

and am always happy to share recipes- toss me a message with your favourite flavours and I'll send you my best recipe for that flavour with instructions!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    One simply can't mess with cake! LOL.

Oh, I tried that whole mix a can of pop with a box mix thing...FAIL.

I did one time have great success making cupcakes that were free from eggs and dairy for my daughter to take to daycare a few years ago...kind of like a "depression" cake, where you mix everything in the pan itself. But I can't find the recipe anymore.

Just have full out cake...It's your birthday, and you only get so many!