Device that keeps track of calories burned.

Options
Hi everyone! So what is the best device to keep track of calories burned?

I strength train 4x a week
I run 6x a week
I even do yoga once a week.

I have no idea how many calories I'm burning in these workouts.
I do cardio 6x a week but the machines usually tells me my
Calories burned. Which brings me another question to mind: how accurate are the machines in the gym? :I

Thanks! Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a device that will accurately tell me how many calories I'm burning.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to 100% accurate but a heart rate monitor is what I would recommend. I like the Polar brand.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    There are no devices that are "accurate." However, a heart rate monitor is "consistent." Therefore, if it is "wrong," it's the same "wrong" all the time. The calorie counts at the gym, if you set them up with your weight and age on the treadmill, bike and elliptical are actually pretty good. I will say that my Polar also syncs to the Precor gym equipment that I use.

A step counter is not going to know if you climbed Mt Everest or walked along the people mover at the airport.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor ... Polar is great... I have a PF7
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I like HRMs for calorie calculation during exercise and also use a fitbit to see what I burn throughout the day regardless of exercise. Both are useful, but of course not 100% accurate.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You don't need any device. And no affordable device will give you an accurate count. Maybe a $10,000 machine would.
    Precisely counting # of calories isn't the name of the game. A good ballpark estimate will get you there, and you can fine tune as needed based on results.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor. I would suggest that. It will give you a fairly accurate reading of your burn.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just save your money, enter your work into mfp, and track your food. If you are losing weight (assuming that's your goal) keep steady. If you're gaining weight or holding steady, adjust your calories down. No one needs to know accurate calories burned to lose weight.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    HI, I bought the heart rate montor that Walmart sells for $50, it includes the wrist band and the chest strap. I didn't want to spend a lot and all the ones I saw were $80-$150.
    I have been using it now for about a year and LOVE it! Battery is still good, never have any problems with it and set up was easy!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Your body.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit that tells calories burned, steps, and minutes of vigorous and moderate exercise.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    I like HRMs for calorie calculation during exercise and also use a fitbit to see what I burn throughout the day regardless of exercise. Both are useful, but of course not 100% accurate.

I too bought a FitBit and LOVE that!!! But it is about $100. But my favorite feature is it syncs with MFP!
  • meggolego
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. I don't even notice the chest strap and the watch is a good size for my wrist. love it!
  • chickkee
    chickkee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit which I have found to be pretty accurate.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You don't need any device. And no affordable device will give you an accurate count. Maybe a $10,000 machine would.
    Precisely counting # of calories isn't the name of the game. A good ballpark estimate will get you there, and you can fine tune as needed based on results.

This.

Just save your money, enter your work into mfp, and track your food. If you are losing weight (assuming that's your goal) keep steady. If you're gaining weight or holding steady, adjust your calories down. No one needs to know accurate calories burned to lose weight.

...and this.

Not only do you not need to know, you are never going to know using the devices so many recommend on this site. Don't buy into the hype (literally).
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the accuracy of any gym machines as far as I could throw them. One piece of equipment at my gym told me I was burning four times as many calories as my HRM told me.
  • preciousmi
    Options
    Polar has lots of good options for HRM and I also have a BodyMediaFit that I really like but you do have to pay 7 bucks a month for the use of its software. I think both are worth it..I know some think they arent but to me personally they do help. May not be 100% accurate but it shows me im on the right track and helps keep me accountable.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    A good heart rate monitor is your best bet for the mot accurate read. I have been using them for 10+ years and swear by them and they are very accurate. Polar is the best brand IMO and the FT series has great price points and features. Good luck!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 as well, but the only reason you need to know calories burned is if you're eating them back. MFP overestimates, but so do machines. An HRM is the best way to keep track, but I'd still only eat about 50% back unless you're really hungry.
  • shoggatt
    shoggatt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ON BodyFit - can you see calories burned right after workout?