Diet Pop

Options
I am really, really trying to give up diet pop but finding it very hard. Any suggestions for scary health stats to frighten me off of it for good? :happy: Feel free to add me as a friend, I am fairly new and looking forward to motivation and support from others trying to get healthy for life.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Can you consume it in moderation? Like, limit yourself one can a day to start?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I have it rarely for a treat; can't imagine drinking it daily.
    It makes me kind of headachey if I drink it more often than rarely.
  • 0408boys
    0408boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have tried, but feel like I always end up drinking way to much. Had about half a can today, but would love the other half. lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you have PKU? (relevant for aspartame)

If not, there really aren't any credible ones that show causation (as opposed to meta-data that shows correlation).
  • Monrae07
    Options
    OMG that is my next thing to work on! Diet Pop! LOL Wish I could help with it, but I will wait to hear what people say. Good luck!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have a can almost every day - I lost 60 lbs while doing just that and kept it off for 5 years...I am still not mummified, embalmed and have not grown a second head.....Go have the other half of the can!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    No scary stats, but alternatives, information and references:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's not great for your tooth enamel. Other than that, enjoy.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Also, be conscious of what you are going to replace it with.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Personally I've drank it for 25+ years with no health issues arriving from it other than a headache from people who claim it's gonna kill me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShrimpMe
    ShrimpMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had to get off it completely as it literally was eating at my stomach wall. I was hooked. Alot of diet **brand name withheld*** every day! Now while one might think this alone would make you loose weight, not so much. Just felt crummy.
  • Black_Widow1976
    Black_Widow1976 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    While we've been busy blaming our ballooning bellies on carbs,fat and white sugar,there's been another nasty villain lurking in the shadows. Who's the dirty rotten scoundrel that's helping to make us fat? It's high-fructose corn syrup (aka HFCS), the sweetener used to replace sugar in many processed foods. Manufacturers love it because its cheap and doubly sweet. Problem is, our fat cells love it,too! Research shows that its more easily turned into fat than any other carbohydrate,and it also shuts off the switches that control appetite. Your liver bears the sole burden for metabolizing HFCS,and it simply hasn't evolved to handle the kind of fructose load we get when we chug 12oz cans of Coke daily. So it responds to the fructose flood by shipping it directly to our fat cells. In high levels,HFCS also boosts triglycerides (fatty compounds that circulate in the bloodstream and are stored in the fat tissue) by as much as 32%. That's a heart attack waiting to happen! And you'll find it just about everywhere: soft drinks,candy,BBQ sauce,fruit-flavoured yogurt,even some breakfast cereals. The only way to avoid the evil wrath of HFCS is by reading labels carefully. If high-fructose corn syrup,fructose,glucose/fructose or corn syrup appears near the top of the list of ingredients list,you can bet you're getting a hefty dose of trouble! -From The Loonyspoons Collection.

does this help?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    zomg diet soda is teh devil
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    While we've been busy blaming our ballooning bellies on carbs,fat and white sugar,there's been another nasty villain lurking in the shadows. Who's the dirty rotten scoundrel that's helping to make us fat? It's high-fructose corn syrup (aka HFCS), the sweetener used to replace sugar in many processed foods. Manufacturers love it because its cheap and doubly sweet. Problem is, our fat cells love it,too! Research shows that its more easily turned into fat than any other carbohydrate,and it also shuts off the switches that control appetite. Your liver bears the sole burden for metabolizing HFCS,and it simply hasn't evolved to handle the kind of fructose load we get when we chug 12oz cans of Coke daily. So it responds to the fructose flood by shipping it directly to our fat cells. In high levels,HFCS also boosts triglycerides (fatty compounds that circulate in the bloodstream and are stored in the fat tissue) by as much as 32%. That's a heart attack waiting to happen! And you'll find it just about everywhere: soft drinks,candy,BBQ sauce,fruit-flavoured yogurt,even some breakfast cereals. The only way to avoid the evil wrath of HFCS is by reading labels carefully. If high-fructose corn syrup,fructose,glucose/fructose or corn syrup appears near the top of the list of ingredients list,you can bet you're getting a hefty dose of trouble! -From The Loonyspoons Collection.

does this help?

no
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I did a cutdown from 6-8 a day to 3. I love diet Dr Pepper and diet dew.......
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options

does this help?
    Sources?studies?
  • Emsevers
    Options
    While it may not affect your weight loss I do believe it can affect your health.

I drank it for years and recently have had a lot of nausea and headaches and sometimes I would have blurry vision. I had no idea what it was from. I had heart palpitations as well. I quit drinking diet Pepsi about a week ago and everything has cleared up. I was actually really surprised how quickly it all went away. I had convinced myself that I was just a sensitive person and had a few problems but I think aspartame was my problem. I'm not sure why everyone is so eager to encourage diet pop when we can be healthier without it even if it doesn't affect our weight loss. It's not only about our weight it's also about what's going on on the inside.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

does this help?

Errrr... ignoring the hyperbole...there is no HFCS in diet soda so how is this even relevant?
  • rozzay28
    Options
    Aspartame is more addictive in sugar & can cause massive mood changes. I am seriously addicted to diet ****. Can quite easily drink around 2L A DAY! Since stopping though my tummy is not as bloated, my head feels clearer and I have more energy. Am on day 2 of no soda and although I could quite happily kill for a glass, in the long run its better not to
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Can I count it as water is the real question here.