home exerice

Options
Im someone who has major self confidence issues at the moment due to my weight and I want to exercise but not confident enough yet to go to the gym. Im not very athletic and exercise isn't something that I enjoy yet. Ideas from at home work outs besides walking out doors on pretty days?

Replies

• Ashleysclever
    Ashleysclever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lol just noticed spelled exercise incorrectly!
  • Jday71
    Jday71 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am on day 10 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It is a great workout with great quick results!!!
  • vandergraaf56
    Options
    I have too many temptations at home so I don't work out in that setting. :/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Check out YouTube for exercise video or go to your library.
  • luvya7sandra796
    luvya7sandra796 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi, There is a walk at Home program that I do. Look Up, Leslie Sansone walk at home, you can find her videos in You tube, or Face book,,(Walk Social) Great Program,, is very easy to do. I have seen the results, doing this at home. Then , I take my walks out doors. I love to walk! =)
  • brig_1_g
    brig_1_g Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 day shred as well then I bought a stationary bike over the holidays with a place to put your laptop on it and I've used it quite a bit while I work on the computer. I get bored without something to do so being able to work and play on the laptop really helps.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Bob Harper's Yoga Warrior dvd and his Fat Burning Cardio dvd and love them both, they can be easily achieved from the comfort of a large lounge room too! lol Another great thing to do to increase your metabolism before breaky is a quick 10 minute workout such as:

30 squats
    10 push ups
    30 star jumps (jumping jacks)
    20 tricep dips
    30 mountain climbers
    1-2 minute skipping with a rope or running on the spot
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i have a Schwinn 140 exercise bike that i ride every day. i think i paid about $300 for it.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like the 30 day shred as well. It is short but really gives you a nice work out. Other than that look for body weight strength training videos on youtube.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Dance around to music you love for 10-20 minutes, then build muscles:

Pushups (against the wall or on the floor)
    Dead bug - lay on your back and hold your feet up in the air, knees bent for beginner, straight when you're advanced... hold as long as you can, as long as your breathing is relaxed
    Tri-dips - sort of backwards pushups, hands on a step or on a chair
    Squats - slow and steady, always make sure you can see your feet
    Tiptoes - up and down slow

It's a fine line between challenging your body and hurting your body, so build up reps gradually.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym but for different reasons then you. I just don't want to pay for a membership to a gym knowing I can do things for free. I own a few exercise dvd's, a yoga/pilates, a dance jam, and a tae-bo one, yes they are dated but honestly they work at giving me a good cardio workout. I also use EA Active 2 for the PS3. I change it up so I never get board. I also have some 5 lbs weights. A few other tips would be to park your car far from the entrance, use the stairs whenever possible, every little bit helps. I have a dog so I have to take him out all the time, but if it's raining or too cold I take the stairs with him so he still gets exercise. I live in a 12 story apartment building so we take one flight and then walk to the other end and take another flight and repeat until I'm on level 12, then take the stairs down to my level (6).
    In the end just move and find what works for you. Good luck.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you have a gaming system, check out Zumba, Just Dance, etc....these are fun, they get you off the couch, and soooo fun! You wont feel like you are working out!
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There are heaps of websites you google exercise at home you can get lots of ideas. I have a stack of work out dvd's and rotate through them so I don't get bored, but you can also do star jumps, lunges, burpee's push up's, squats, skipping etc.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    grab a jump rope or get your house spotless and bust a sweat! Walmart has weights, stretch bands and other exercise items u can use also.......
  • bunks1003
    Options
    I'm not confident to go to the gym either, but I dusted off my treadmill and walk on it while I listen to Pandora. I have a specific station that is upbeat and keeps me going. I also like to box. Since I'm in school and work full time, I have fustrations that build up and wants me to eat. So, when I feel like this, I go out and punch my heavy bag for about 30 minutes and by the time I'm finished, I forgot I even worked out. I also do have some Wii games that keep me going and one is the Outdoor Challenge besides Dance Revolution.
  • Ashleysclever
    Ashleysclever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, Im taking in everyones suggestions. I ran out and bought the 30 day shred to give it a try and Im borrowing Walk away the pounds from a friend. Im going to look into the wii zumba game, Id love tredmill but its just not in the budget right now.
  • BluBecca
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering what station you use on pandora??
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When I first lost all my weight (8 stones) I was too embarrassed to workout in public so I started literally with the Wii Fit Plus, doing their jogging, skipping and hula hoop. I then progressed to buying a second hand treadmill and now run regularly in and out plus do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred regularly and now am happy to attend classes or gym but childcare and work schedule don't really allow as a single mum so tend to still exercise mostly at home.
    Good Luck Jules xx
  • missy204
    Options
    I use the rubber workout ball for crunches or when I feel lazy I do the plank with it. I also use an arm band. reps of 12 three times. Plank off the floor 2 mins 30sec intervals. Wall sit same reps as the floor plank. You can youtube zumba vids as well as kick boxing. Both are fun!
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hey i posted this a few weeks back looking for the exact same thing suggest you check out this thread some helpful tips..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/838384-workout-at-home-what-do-you-do

jullian michaels does seem a good bit place to start have ordered it myself :) good luck!