how many kcals

Options
can someone tell me how they calculate their calorie intake, i mostly make homemade meals and the foods in the database rarely match up, not to mention that they are probably made with other ingredients that i don't use. also i have to adapt my meals to what i make for my family (my husband and two teenage sons), ok, they'll eat "my healthy" one day but the next day they probably want something else, although i try to cook as healthy as possible for everyone.

Replies

• BeautyNBriefcase
    BeautyNBriefcase Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    you'll need to start measuring your ingredients and maybe indexing your recipes so you know for next time.
  • nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    u can enter your recipes at dailyburn.com, go to nutrition, then my recipe
  • Firefrog76
    Options
    Try breaking down the meals you have into single elements when you log your food for the day.
    Or if the recipe you are using has a caloric breakdown already, then you can add the food into the database manually and it'll be there for the next time you have the same meal.
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

I use this one a lot to determine calories... it also gives a TON of additional nutritional information...
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    example: you're making spaghetti for dinner....

under your dinner you log each ingredient that's in the sauce and the exact amount you used...

under the meal you'll notice "remember meal"...

name the meal and save it. Now this spaghetti sauce is in your meals.

go back to your food diary and delete the items in the sauce.

lets say you made 4 cups total of sauce and you eat 1 cup on your noodles.

when you enter the sauce again into your diary you will enter 0.25 into the amount as you've only used 1/4 of the meal you just created.

that's it.

simple.

no more guessing and trying to get foods close (which isn't usually close enough in my opinion)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    can someone tell me how they calculate their calorie intake, i mostly make homemade meals and the foods in the database rarely match up, not to mention that they are probably made with other ingredients that i don't use. also i have to adapt my meals to what i make for my family (my husband and two teenage sons), ok, they'll eat "my healthy" one day but the next day they probably want something else, although i try to cook as healthy as possible for everyone.

A site that will help you figure out the numbers in homemade recipes.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • nehadi23
    nehadi23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    thanks, thats much better, it hadn't occurred to calculate it that way, i suppose the more meals i add the quicker it'll be to fill out my food diary.
    :bigsmile:
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    thanks, thats much better, it hadn't occurred to calculate it that way, i suppose the more meals i add the quicker it'll be to fill out my food diary.
    :bigsmile:

it's the only way to go. You dont need any other site to calculate recipes for you. I tried on other one once before I knew how to do it on here and honestly it wasn't easy. I find it very easy to do on MFP. Plus if an ingredient isn't already in the database, just add it. It's great!