Wrap Ideas

Options
I love wraps since they are simple, easy and a good way to get vegetables in. I make one every day for supper usually that consists of turkey breast from the deli, mustard and various vegetables. I know everything is in moderation but I have been reading articles about the nitrates in deli meat. Does anyone have wrap ideas to get protein in with out deli meat? Or should I just continue with my daily intake of the meat..

Replies

• samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I make wraps everyday for school with deli turkey as well. If you are concerned about the nitrates you can always ask the people at the deli which of their meats have no nitrates.

I also make wraps with hardboiled eggs made into a eggsalad to get the protein if I am out of turkey/too lazy to go to store.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Boneless chicken breasts baked & cut are good in wraps. I make some extra when it's the meat entree for a meal. Rotisserie chicken works, too. You could, also, bake a turkey breast & freeze packages, if you love the turkey.
    I don't worry too much about the nitrates, but I don't have deli meat weekly. The sodium can be alarming, especially combined with the sodium in the wrap itself.
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When my youngest daughter was pregnant I was waiting for her at the Dr's office. A show came on to help with school lunches. The lady took a wrap spread some pb on it then a banana. Roll it up like a enchilada. I was actually really good and filling. Haven't tried it with counting calories though so I don't know the counts.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Maybe cook up a turkey breast or a chicken and use that meat instead to avoid the nitrates? Easy to freeze & you will probably save some pennies in the long run. I used to really love tuna with some celery, pecans, cumin, and just a touch of mayo w/ lettuce. Hmmm... might have to look in to seeing about making me some now... LOL
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    When using meat in wraps I prefer fresh meat, such as chicken breast, lean beef, shrimp, or lean pork that is sautéed or baked. If you cut the meat into thin slices it will sauté in just a few minutes. You don't need meat in every wrap for it to be satisfying. Add quinoa, beans, or and/or humus for a quick kick of protein. Quinoa goes great in almost anything, and can take on whatever flavor you want. I like to make a couple of cups of it on Sunday so I have it ready to put into my lunch wraps or salads throughout the week.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I make a southwest chicken wrap. I just grill up some chicken breast, weigh out 4 ounces, put in veggies (usually green and red peppers then some Kale or spinach) and a half serving of southwest dressing. It is so good and filling for under 500 calories. You can also cook extra chicken and then just reheat it and throw it together the next day.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I make one with chicken breast, olives, onions, walnuts, and avocado! It is so yummy! Shred the chicken, cut up olives, onions. Add a little olive oil, cracked pepper, greek seasoning. mix in the walnuts, slice half of an avocado, wrap it all up and enjoy! I use the carb control wraps!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I make wraps frequently as well. I use Yves veggie bologna or veggie turkey slices. (I'm not a vegetarian, I just like them haha). I will also use any turkey breast or chicken breast chopped into pieces for the wrap. My wraps usually have garlic hummus, tomato, avocado, veggie meat or fresh turkey/chicken breast, onion, arugula or spinach, flaxseed (ground), and whatever else I happen to have in the fridge for veggies that would taste good.
  • ChazMikoyan
    Options
    I agree with the others that homemade is the best-made - no nitrates or excessive sodium, and it's cheaper per serving. I love roasted or sautéed chicken - it is easy to make and is affordable.

If you still want deli-sliced type lunch meats and don't want to cook, then the Hormel Naturals might be the way to go. We use them at home and I haven't seen anything negative about them.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    and don't forget the avacado:bigsmile:
  • amrozes
    amrozes Posts: 26
    Options
    I use Boar's Head deli meats (I get migraines from nitrates --- most of theirs are Nitrate Free). Posting a list just in case. BOAR'S HEAD NITRITE AND PRESERVATIVE FREE PRODUCTS

HAMS:
    Seasoned Fresh Ham
    Fresh Ham (Caramel Glazed)
    Prosciutto – Traditional Riserva Stradolce
    Skinless / Shankless

CHICKEN:
    Bar B Q Sauce Basted® Chicken Breast
    Golden Classic® Chicken Breast
    Hickory Smoked Chicken Breast
    Maple Glazed Roasted Chicken Breast

TURKEY:
    Ovengold® Roast Breast of Turkey
    Deli Dinners® Ovengold® Roast Breast of Turkey
    Golden Catering Style Turkey Breast
    Our Premium Lower Sodium Turkey Breast
    Ready To Cook Turkey Breast
    Hickory Smoked Black Forest Turkey Breast
    Mesquite Wood Smoked® Roasted Breast of Turkey

BEEF:
    Deluxe Roast Beef – All Cuts
    Cajun Style Seasoned Eye Round
    No Salt Added Roast Beef – All Cuts
    Italian Style Seasoned Roast Beef
    With Classic Braciole Seasoning

SAUSAGES:
    Bratwurst
    Italian Sausage – Sweet & Hot
    Breakfast Sausage

CHEESES:
    All Cheeses

Italian Items:
    Prosciutto Panino
    Prosciutto di Parma®
    All Natural Salame with White Wine
    All Natural Salame coated with Herbs
    All Natural Salame coated with Coarse Black Pepper
    All Natural Smoked Uncured Ham
    All Natural Uncured Ham
    Aroastica® Seasoned Chicken Breast
    Blazing Buffalo® Style Chicken Breast
    Lemon Pepper® Chicken Breast
    All American BBQ Seasoned Roasted Chicken Breast
    Cajun Style Oven Roasted Smoked Breast of Turkey
    Salsalito
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Chicken salad wrap made with chicken breast, not deli slices. Tuna wrap. Egg salad wrap. Add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers...etc.

Or something different....peanut butter and banana wrap.
  • gappletree
    Options
    Besides deli turkey (which you can find without nitrates), I use chicken breast, egg salad, or peanut or almond butter with fruit.

Try hummus instead of mustard sometime (or both!)

I also intend to try greek yogurt and fruit in wraps one of these days.

Then of course there is left over Mexican stuff....taco meat, beans, etc....

Basically anything you can think of will work!
  • 4hummingbird
    4hummingbird Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chicken Parm wrap- Grilled chicken breast, spaghetti sauce, and mozzarella!:smile:
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    tonight i used a new wrap, ole xtreme wellness spinich and herb was so good! i used 1 oz chicken and 1/4 c brocoli slaw yummmm. the wrap itself is 74 cal
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    tonight i used a new wrap, ole xtreme wellness spinich and herb was so good! i used 1 oz chicken and 1/4 c brocoli slaw yummmm. the wrap itself is 74 cal
    i also like chicken avacado and alfalfa sprouts
  • wendrz
    wendrz Posts: 118
    Options
    Strawberries and Nutella...... super yummy! Ok, so i have a sweet tooth!