NSV - c25k

Options
girish_ph
girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
I did it. Today I completed my c25k course. I finished Week 9 Day 3 (30 mins running). I plan to stay at that level for some time.

Unfortunately, my speed is slow - a mile in 14 mins. I want to get it to 10 mins as per c25k standards. Any idea how I should do it?

I am Male, 50 yrs

Thanks

Replies

• irapino65
    irapino65 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great Job !! keep up the good work. What is a C35K?

Rick
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Great Job !! keep up the good work. What is a C35K?

Rick

Sorry. Typing error. Rectified it.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    HI! Congrats on completing couch to 5 K! I am not a trainer, but I think that you can increase your speed is by doing speed interval training. There are lots of programs you can find on the Internet.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. The more you run, the more conditioned you'll get. I used to run a mile or two every few days in college. When I first started, my time was 14:30. Within a few months or so, I got it down to 12:30, and then 11:00 a couple months later.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Work yourself up to 45-60 minutes running by increase the time 10% each week. So if you're running 30 minutes now, for the next week try 33 minutes, then 37, then 41 and so on. In about a month you can hopefully run 45 minutes comfortably and likely even notice that your 30 min time is faster than it was.
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    I have a friend who ran a 50K in the mountains in just over 9 hours. Most of those who ran this ultra tough race were taking it nice and steady. Maybe 12 min miles? Anyway, their endurance was incredible!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have increased my pace (by around 90 seconds/km) by simply going back to the start of the C25K and pushing much harder on the running parts.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm in the same boat as you. I finished C25k at the end of December and also do 14 minute miles. My new goal is to try to reduce this in the next 3 months, so I've started over on C25k and set a goal that the running parts have to be at least a 11:00 min mile pace. I've only done the first week so far...but have reduced my time by over 2 minutes from when I first started C25k last year.
  • thefitmess
    Options
    Interval running helps, as does cycling! Run so many minutes at one pace then push, then back down then over and over. Increase similarly to the C25k Running plan except do it running at the lowest then at the highest, etc. My husband is in the Air Force and an avid over achiever and he's done similar running plans to improve his pace to compete with his friends. I've gone through C25k before but chickened out. :'( I had to slow my pace from a 10:00 to 14:00 just because of shin splints. I'll be done soon and start doing interval runs to help me feel more comfortable.

BTW!!! CONGRATS!!!
  • taschulz
    taschulz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am on week 6 of C25K. I am very slow as well, but I am running a lot further than I was 6 weeks ago! I think perseverance is the key. Happy Running!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!