Weight Lifting Help

Options
Ive been lifting weights on machines and steadily has increased my weight when I can no longer feel the burn. But the question is: Is it better to use heavier weights and so less sets(70lbs 10 sets of 10) or less weight and complete more sets(50 lbs 20 sets of 15)?

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article (and I wish I still had it maybe someone else does!) saying that anything over 15 or 20 reps is only building endurance and is not properly working your muscle enough to gain strength (or mass). So To build mass you want to max out (cannot lift anymore) at 1-5 reps and you can increase strength at 6-12 reps but more than that isn't really doing much in terms of muscle building. Does anyone by chance have this or a similar article to post? It was really good. In the past 3 weeks or so I've really taken to maxing out on a particular muscle group at 6-8 reps and I do each set 3 or 4 times depending on the exercise - and have noticed a HUGE difference in the tone of my body!! :happy:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've heard both can be effective. The point is to switch up your routine to keep your muscles "confused." If you always go in and do 3 sets of 15, you'll get used to it and won't get the changes you saw at first.

There are different styles to lifting. Heavier for shorter and the lighter for longer, as you pointed out. But you can also start light, with a lot of reps, and keep increasing weight until you can only lift a couple times.

I'll let the trainers in the bunch give you better details on how to do them properly. :)
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Muscle confusion is propaganda. People in the fitness industry will say anything to sell sell sell.

Stylist is correct... 15-20 reps will build endurance and not muscle. Endurance is beneficial, but if you want to put on lean mass it isn't the ideal. I personally do 15-20 reps once a month... if that. Stick to heavy or hypertrophy workouts at either 4-6 reps or 10-12 reps.

I would decide what you want your workout to be... total body everyday? upper body day and a lower body day? Depending on your experience and level of fitness will determine this. Make it a goal to get 10 total sets in for an entire workout and work up to 20 total sets.

Example--Total Body Workout

Chest Press 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Lat Pulldown 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Squats 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Lunges 3 sets of 10-12 reps
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    One more thing... the Body Sculpting Bible for Women is a phenomenal tool for learning all of the information you need to know to become a well informed lifter! It also has sample workouts.. highly recommend it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Muscle confusion is propaganda.

Thank You!
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Variety is good...

You can alternate heavy lifting/low rep weeks, with light/high rep weeks. I did that for a while and saw some nice changes.

Don't get stuck on a rut of always lifting heavy or always lifting light... Change things around and introduce variety to your workouts.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Variety is good...

You can alternate heavy lifting/low rep weeks, with light/high rep weeks. I did that for a while and saw some nice changes.

Don't get stuck on a rut of always lifting heavy or always lifting light... Change things around and introduce variety to your workouts.

I'd trust this girl! Look at her guns!!! :happy:

My personal trainer has me doing "low" weights (15-25 lbs. on the machines) doing 20-25 reps (depending on the machine) and in the first month, I lost an inch off each arm doing no more than 20 reps. This last month I've been doing up to 25 reps and I'll know at the end of the month if it's still working. Right now, I just want to burn fat and strengthen, versus sculpting my guns since they're still flabby.
  • Zakiya23
    Zakiya23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that to build muscle (like a body builder) you do heavy weight which usually means fewer reps. But to tone muscle you do lighter weight and more reps. I think you start with 10-12 reps of whatever weight you can do those comfortably at. eventually you should be able to do 15-20 with that weight but you shouldn't get heavier. Or something to that sort. I know when I played basketball we were trying to get stronger/be "built" and we'd do max outs and all that and in cheerleading we'd do more upper body max out type stuff to build upper body strength to lift the girls which ended up with bulky arms (not a good look) but we toned our legs and we used our own body weight more often then actually lifting weights.

But I'm no expert...
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would suggest either sets between 8-12 reps, higher the reps the leaner and more endurance you will achieve as long as you do not pass 14 reps.

There is a thing of "over-doing" your muscles as well. I would never ever go over 100 reps of combined reps for a single muscle, ie. chest, tris, bis, etc. Light weight, is great for toning, but with that you also want muscle ideally. More muscle, more cals burned, more sculpted you will look.

I do not know what you intend to look like, but it seems that you are getting stronger. Some women are afraid of this, but this doesn't mean you will get bulky. Good luck and message me if you have any questions
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I love this website for weight lifting information aimed at women, but good info for men too: stumptuous.com

I also love this book: New Rules of Lifting for Women (Schuler)

If you want to get stronger, lift heavy. Try mixing it up. Lift a very heavy weight that you can only get 5 reps from. Go for sets of 5x5. Scale back the weight and try 3 sets of 8 reps.

There is a saying -- "Toning has no meaning. There is only stronger and weaker." Don't fear your muscles. Don't be afraid you're going to turn into some femme-Schwarzenegger lifting heavy and developing your muscles. It doesn't happen like that without eating extra calories and "hormone therapy".
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agree with hill242. stronglifts or rippetoe 5x5 is a great place to start. Concentrating on the compound exercises, squats and deadlifts. Throw in a few isolation exercises and some ab work and you have a great full body workout.

I don't believe there is such thing as toning with high reps. Being toned means you have a low body fat % and some muscle definition. You get lower body fat % from diet & cardio/HIIT.
  • MystAKAlKonceit
    MystAKAlKonceit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow I thank everyone for all of their suggestions....soo much to take in! Im gonna pull bits and pieces in from everyone and see how it works....I def do more cardio than weight lifting so I guess that accounts for fat loss..but this far from and average of 2.5 hrs of cardio a day and abt 30min a day of weight lifting along with a 1200 cal intake I have lost about 5lbs in 23 days =)
    Thanks Guys ♥
  • ekrueger002
    Options
    I have had success with variety. Navigating the line between strength training and body building.

5 sets of 6 - exerting 100% (almost failure on last rep of each set)
    4 sets of 8 - exerting 80% (burn on end of each set but completing all reps)
    3 sets of 10 - exerting 60% (burn only on last set)

30 min cardio warm up
    2 excercises per muscle group (i.e. chest - bench press, cable flies)
    4-5 muscle groups per training session
    same muscle group no more than 2 times a week
    Change the set / rep approach every 2-3 weeks
    4 weight training sessions per week
    At least 2 days in between muscle group training (i.e. chest - Mon and Thur)

I have found this routine to work for me. Build lean muscle without getting too bulky. The caveat here is during a diet or calorie deficit it can be difficult to build muscle. The diet oncovers the muscle you have already and the training will help with strength.

Do the diet and cardio to burn the fat....then concentrate on body composition (adding muscle for desired appearance)

Just my 2 cents....everyone's body responds differently so don't be afraid to experiment :-)