Addicted to the scale

Options
I'm becoming obsessive with my weight. I don't mean like daily, I mean basically every time I eat or walk into the bathroom. I understand how absolutely ridiculous this is but I just can't get over it. I've always been overweight and am trying to change it but the numbers seem to hardly ever move. I'm eating between 1200-1400 cal a day, not eating back my burns, and lose and gain the same 5lbs. I'm not trying to make this a pity party, I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong and how I can get over what the scale says.

Replies

• tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hide the scale. Put it in a hard to get to place that you are only willing to dig through once a week.
  • Jessmiloo
    Options
    I agree. Remove the scale. Resolve to measure and rely on how you fit in your clothes. Also by how much energy you have!
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would worry more about inches rather than weight, as you can be weighting water, food, or other stuff if you need to go to the toilet :)

Also, eat back your exercise calories, see this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1 and esp this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Maybe change up your exercise routine too? And your diet?
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with the scale..so, I actually dropped it off at my parents house last week..

I find that I actually eat better when I can't weigh myself all the time - because I want to do the best I can..however, I recommend dropping it off after having a good weigh in. The day I dropped it off, I stepped on the scale (when I wasn't supposed too) and had lost 7 pounds - so, I felt really good.

My plan is to pick it up January 31st, weigh myself Feb 1st..and drop it off again..
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm becoming obsessive with my weight. I don't mean like daily, I mean basically every time I eat or walk into the bathroom. I understand how absolutely ridiculous this is but I just can't get over it. I've always been overweight and am trying to change it but the numbers seem to hardly ever move. I'm eating between 1200-1400 cal a day, not eating back my burns, and lose and gain the same 5lbs. I'm not trying to make this a pity party, I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong and how I can get over what the scale says.

I'm concerned about the not eating your burns with that low of a calorie count. Not being able to see you, your diary, or know much about you, I'm not sure how much advice we can give other than to hide the scale. Of course since I'm a daily weigher myself, that would make me a bit of a hypocrite.

For me, my MFP goal calories are 1560 on a sedentary lifestyle. I eat back most of my exercise cals and try to get pretty close to that calorie goal every day (some days I am a bit lower though). I'm set to lose 2 lbs a week. Maybe we could help you better if we had more info?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Can you give the scales to a friend or family member for safe-keeping? It sounds like you need a break from the hateful thing!
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    yep,,, ditto,,,, can't walk past the darn scale.
  • Valetta09
    Valetta09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, have a love hate relationship with the scale and weigh almost every time I walk into the master bath. However, for me it helps keep me accountable no matter which way it spins. I'm also measuring to help see my changes that way too.

Best of luck!
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2 and at 194 lbs. In order for me to lose 2lb a week MFP says 1200 cal and when I use a calculator my resting metabolism is around 1400-1500 cal. That's why I eat between 1200-1400 and I find if I eat any more then that then I hardly lose anything. I don't have my picture up because I'm kind of afraid someone will recognize me... And I don't have my food diary viewable because I actually only eat like 800 cal a day. I know I know. Your all going to say that's too low... I just cant seem to get any of the weight off so I keep dropping my cals... : / That's me I guess.
  • joslin2005
    Options
    Hide the scale. Put it in a hard to get to place that you are only willing to dig through once a week.

This. I went through this. My husband actually hid it for me. So you might ask someone to hide it so you have no clue where it is. This kind of behavior is not healthy. Stressing about what the scale says can actually be prohibiting you from losing weight. Measure yourself instead. Or simply go off of the way your clothes fit.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2 and at 194 lbs. In order for me to lose 2lb a week MFP says 1200 cal and when I use a calculator my resting metabolism is around 1400-1500 cal. That's why I eat between 1200-1400 and I find if I eat any more then that then I hardly lose anything. I don't have my picture up because I'm kind of afraid someone will recognize me... And I don't have my food diary viewable because I actually only eat like 800 cal a day. I know I know. Your all going to say that's too low... I just cant seem to get any of the weight off so I keep dropping my cals... : / That's me I guess.

Be very careful or you'll end up with an eating disorder. You have to find a way to eat more and stop obsessing about the weight loss. Go by size of your clothes or tape measurements more and photos. 800 calories will make you very unhealthy in the long term and is going to hind your weight loss too.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Sometimes increasing calories will make you start losing. Although I agree with those who have suggested taking measurements.
  • bettywin
    Options
    I was in the same boat before christmas. It was ruining my spirit - I wasn't noticing much of a loss and so I thought "what the heck" and lost my focus. So, my boyfriend has now hidden the scales. I weighed myself on 1st January, and not weighing again until 1st Feb. It is very hard as I want to know how well I am doing but I like a challenge and I think so far it's very effective as, as mentioned above, it keeps you on track. You want to do the best you can, rather than weighing and thinking "I've lost 1lb so I can have a little treat" I know that I don't want to ruin the big moment on 1st Feb!