Using all calories/starvation mode

My target intake is at 1300 calories for the day. I usually am going below this amount and get that notification that my body might go into "starvation mode" if I don't eat enough.

I'm definitely not starving or even hungry since I nom on mostly fruits and veggies throughout the day.

Should I be aiming to eat all 1300 calories even if I'm not hungry??

Thanks!

Replies

• I don't know- good question though because most days I am under my calorie intake also. If you aren't hungry I don't think you should eat.
  • If you dont eat enough calories, your metabolism slows, and your body goes into starvation mode. This means that EVERY SINGLE THING you eat gets stored as fat.
    Muscle burns approximately 70 calories per pound (lb) whilst fat on the other hand burns approximately 10 calories per pound (lb). When your body is convinced it's in the middle of a famine, its main aim is to keep you alive for as long as possible. Therefore, it begins to break down your muscle and protect fat stores. When losing weight, you want your metabolism to be as fast as possible
    So its best to hit that mark ....hope this helps :)
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Hi! don't worry too much as long as you are eating at least 1100-1200 calories a day which includes lots of fruit, veggies and lean meats/proteins, you'll be just fine! You're body will only go into starvation mode if it isn't getting the nutrition it needs. Follow the mfp guidelines for a healthy daily intake of vitamins and minerals also make sure you're getting enough carbs, protein and fat (higher fat and protein than mfp says is fine as well as long as you're having enough dietary fibre). I have been losing on this for two months now :) Good luck!
  • cheerchicksie
    cheerchicksie Posts: 51 Member
    If it's a 100 calorie or so difference, I wouldn't worry too much. There's no way to know the "exact" calorie counts in the food you eat anyway - (nutrition labels are not perfect and exact - for instance, no two bananas are the same, even if they look about the same length, you still can't really know if one has more calories than the other.)

Starvation mode depends on other factors too. If someone is overweight, and they go a few calories under their goal, it's unlikely they'll actually "starve." the body will just eat off of existing fat stores. but on the other hand, if you're underweight, exercise alot, or both, your body will probably start storing calories and not burning them.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Take a look at your minerals for the week too. Don't short yourself on stuff you need. My problem areas are iron, calcium, and potassium. Personally, when they put that warning out I think a person should heed it. That warning doesn't come up (I don't think) if you eat 1500 but work off 500.. putting you at a net of 1000 for the day.

I can't even imagine not being hungry at those calories.
  • cindyhanson58
    cindyhanson58 Posts: 11 Member
    before my pregnancy I worked with a trainer and lost 40 pounds.... it seemed like I just couldn't lose for a while... then I tracked what I was eating, which I thought was more than it was... but was actually in the 900- 1200 calorie range. For my activity level, my trainer mapped that I needed b/n 1500 and 1800 to lose optimally. Skeptically, I increased my intake, and I kid you not, weight started dropping faster than you can imagine. It's worth it to try and reach those goals... that said... I'm always under as well. it's not that easy. I get it.. I understand. I am there!!! : )
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Eat well, eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not. You are in ZERO danger of starvation mode. In our society it's almost unheard of.
  • there are many ways of adding in calories the healthy way :)
    having a small handful of almonds as a snack,

adding in advocado, nut butters, olive oil and coconut oils to your meals (all healthy fats that assist in weightloss)