I am having the gastric sleeve on Jan. 25, 2013.

Options
Hi, I am having the gastric sleeve on Jan. 25, 2013 and I am excited, but scared. So, if anyone is getting ready to go through the surgery or has already been through it and can help me by encouraging me, helping me with my daily menus, or just good advice for me to do from the start would be very much appreciated. I am new to this website. Thanks!

Replies

• melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I got the sleeve in late November. The nausea lasted about 2-3 weeks for me. It was impossible to keep down anything including water the first 3 days. Drink the ISOPURE protein as soon as you can handle it. It took me all day to drink one 20 oz container but it totally gave me my strength back. And helped get me through the first couple of weeks
    The smell of food also really bothered me for the first 2-3 weeks but that has passed as well.
    Best of luck to you!! Friend me so we can share tips!!
  • LORIANN1108
    Options
    Hi...I had my Sleeve on 11/08/12. I love it. I have already lost 40 pounds. I was a little tuff in the begining, I am not going to lie. It does get easier. The first 3-4 weeks are a little ruff. I used unjury protein chicken broth for the first week. You are going to be sooooo happy. Just remember it might be a little hard for the first weeks but it is well worth it. I have 40 more pounds to go but i feel like i lost 100. Good Luck!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    best of luck!
  • Fair2bslimLady
    Fair2bslimLady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I amdown to get my sleeve Jan 28 please feel free to add me, cant wait :)
  • Alissat
    Alissat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi There!
    I just wanted to share my blog with you just in case you might be open to trying to lose weight without surgery. I did it and it's very possible! I've lost 120lbs without surgery, taking medications, any fancy support groups, or even joining a gym. I'm not saying don't get the procedure, just wanted you to know that it can be done without surgery if you are still unsure about your decision. Either way, I wish you absolutely the best of luck in your journey!

Here's a link to my blog about how I did it. :)
    www.trulylovethyself.com
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There is a sleeve group here called VSGers. The main forums are not necessarily bariatric surgery friendly, but there are a lot of successful sleevers here to offer support.
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your date. I hope you LOVE your sleeve. Most people do! I was sleeved on March 13, 2012. I have lost about 91lbs; started at 226lbs, currently 135lbs, size 18/20 to size 5/6. My goal is about 110lbs, but I'm not working so hard on the actual weight loss now as much since a size 5/6 is quite comfortable right now. However, I want a healthy BMI and I'm still currently considered "overweight."

I would encourage you to stay on your doc's plan. Protein and zero calorie liquids for you will be key. Stay as active as possible to assist with toning, cardio, etc. I have loose skin right now that I wish i didn't have. It makes me feel like I'm not really a size 6! :( I realize that my head has not changed as much as I'd like. I still want to snack and graze out of habit, even when I'm not hungry. I say I still have my "fat girl" syndrome. I think cautiously every day about my intake. At 10 months+ out, I can eat whatever I want, the same things as before surgery. I may not be able to consume the same amount as before, but that is still dangerous. Over time, your ability to take in more foods will increase. The sleeve heals, swelling will go down, muscles relax, and you will have more room for food. Also, not every sleever looses their hunger. I never did. I kept my appetite from day 1 up to now. I wish I got that advantage but...oh well. The sleeve requires you to be fully accountable for the food choices you make. If I grazed and snacked all day, I will be right back at square 1 and gain that weight back. I NEVER want to go back. I pray never to underestimate the ability to regain. I'm sure you have heard all this before. The sleeve is a great tool that will always be there to ASSIST you.

During the 2 week liquid diet and the first couple months post op, I used Isopure, the clear bottles. Then I moved to the powder protein. My fav one due to cost effectiveness and great taste (no whey "proteiny" taste), is Body Fortress from Wal Mart for $14.99. The cookies and cream and peanut butter chocolate are my fav flavors.

Also, my main daily staple even now is plain 0% greek yogurt (Fage/Chobani), usually sweetened with a sugar free syrup and/or splenda, sugar free pudding mix, etc.

I wish I'd been on top of this earlier, but I just now recently fell in love with Tilapia fillets. I didn't realize how good they are and easy to make. This will be a main staple for me now also.

Whenever I talk to people going through the surgery process, I say that once you find foods that you love, you will never feel deprived and it should be a wonderful journey from then on! Once you hit goal, maintenance will be for life. I don't think I will ever be a normal skinny person. That's not a bad thing. It's just a forward thought/reminder that I need to always be on point. I wish you easy recovery, smooth transition, great results and healthy thoughts/feelings/habits for life. :)

P.S. Do you use obesityhelp.com? Their sleeve forum is great. I'm on there everyday for a wealth of wisdom and encouragement. It reminds me that I'm not the only one with the same thoughts/feelings and decisions to make every day and it makes me feel good to be accountable with fellow sleevers.
  • MrsKTillman
    Options
    Hello.... i had my sleeve done Dec 28th... feel free to add me to your friends list. if you have questions hollar:)
  • katrinacolemire
    Options
    Can you give me like a detail of things you could eat for the first weeks with the liquid, and then some details when you were in the different phases. Also, Any tips of things I need to buy before I have the surgery to have it waiting on me. I am a planner, but I am so scared that I won't be prepared enough for it.
  • katrinacolemire
    Options
    Thanks for everyone for offering support, I am going to need it. I will definitely will be asking for pointers along the way.
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Can you give me like a detail of things you could eat for the first weeks with the liquid, and then some details when you were in the different phases. Also, Any tips of things I need to buy before I have the surgery to have it waiting on me. I am a planner, but I am so scared that I won't be prepared enough for it.

I had sugar free popscicles, sugar free jello/pudding,sugar free apple sauce, oatmeal, grits, greek yogurt at the beginning. Then i moved to heavier soups, chicken/tuna salad, tilapia, etc, then to more solids. It was a very detailed plan but my surgeon didnt use a "mushy" phase. It was like liquid to soft to gradual solids. U may wanna get baby spoons n tiny bowls/plates, a child sippy cup if its too hard to drink from a regular cup/bottle (this helped me to control the amount of liquid coming n my mouth-u may think u r taking a sip but with a new sleeve, it could feel like a painful gulp) and a food scale if u dont already have one. If i think of anything else, ill let u know!