you will weigh xxx in 5 weeks

Options
Why does this number never change? Is it still calculating from the day i started or is it a new five weeks every day?

Replies

• ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine changes every time I weigh in.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Mine changes but in just over a YEAR it has NEVER been correct, lol!
  • cheerchicksie
    cheerchicksie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you have to change your weight on your settings, every time you weigh in. (if the numbers are different that is)

for instance, say if someone is 120 pounds, but it says 130 on MFP, then MFP is assuming that you still weigh 130. and it bases your calorie goals/nutrition needs/weight predictions off of that
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Is that what does it? Then why calculate it at food. I have bren doing this for two weeks, only lost four pounds but exercising a lot and lost almost two inches on waist and hips, so i know it works but not seeing the pounds change is weird.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It's based off the weight you have in MFP and the number of calories you eat for that day. If you're eating close to the same number of calories it will be the same if you haven't weighed in.
  • successgal1
    Options
    Oh thanks. Hopefully one of these days the pounds will go down on my scale.
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Is that what does it? Then why calculate it at food. I have bren doing this for two weeks, only lost four pounds but exercising a lot and lost almost two inches on waist and hips, so i know it works but not seeing the pounds change is weird.

No, that's a good thing!!! It means you are losing fat while putting on muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so the scale stays the same while your fitness improves. Additionally, more muscle = higher metabolism, so you will burn fat more quickly :)
  • successgal1
    Options
    Sigh, yeah I get the theory, or the reality, but I could use the psychological effect of a scale loss.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Why does this number never change? Is it still calculating from the day i started or is it a new five weeks every day?

It should change as you update your current weight. The more you lose, the lower that number will get. The problem is, it's calculating based on your current day's diet/exercise, but not every day is exactly the same. You may be that weight five weeks from now, but chances are, you won't. I've just gotten to the point that I ignore it because it does nothing except set up unrealistic expectations.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That is the only part of this site I do not like. It is never right. It makes me feel awful. If I had the power to change 1 thing that would be it.
  • successgal1
    Options
    That is the only part of this site I do not like. It is never right. It makes me feel awful. If I had the power to change 1 thing that would be it.

I agree, its discouraging not encouraging. I've updated my inches but get no "yay" out of MFP for it, lol. And no my shirts are looser but my pants are still tight, all that dang muscle. So still not feeling the effects of slimming. Lots of stuff going on in "life" today, like I said I could use the scale going down emotional boost. It was actually 2 oz higher than my last low. I know, muscles. I suppose if I rested for a day it would be lower tomorrow, but I have 3 more workout days before going out of town for the weekend so I'm trying to make them count.