If you're losing slower than you would like to....

Options
I see all the time on this site, "I'm ONLY losing XYZ a week."

I just want to put that into perspective a little because I've done the same things and given up over and over because of it.

The truth is, if I had kept going, I would have been at my goal weight 6 years ago. EVEN though I was losing slowly, I would already be there.

NOW, I think of it this way: Where do I want to be in a year? In two years? if I lost 1/2 a lb a week, for a year, I will be 25 lbs smaller at the end of the year. 1lb a week? 52 lbs by the end of the year! That's nothing to sneeze at people.

Or, I can let a small loss discourage me, and be this weight or larger by this time next year. I can look back at the 25 lbs I COULD have lost (albeit slowly) and wish I had stuck with it. OR, I can just go ahead and keep plugging away...and in a year I can be proud of my fitter body.

You have the same choice to make. You can keep plugging away and be happy with any and all progress you make, or you can give up. But just know that if you choose to let it discourage you, and you choose to give up, you will be where I am in a few years. Looking back and saying, "Dang it....if I had just stuck with it I would be at my goal by now. And then some!"

I'm finally plugging away, sticking with it, and finding what works. Yay!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Preach it!

I always tell this story, but I"m gonna tell it again.

I had a friend who started her diet at the same time I did. She lost the same amount of weight I did. It took me three years to lose my weight. It took her six months, and she gloated. (incidentally, we're no longer friends)

Six years after we started, guess who's still kept the weight off?

(hint: it's me...she's since regained back that loss and then some.)

Slow and steady, people...slow and steady.:flowerforyou:
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    Slow and steady is right.
    I know I have had my days when I beat myself up.
    I think, "If I would have kept at it before...."
    Well all I know is that I am trying to keep at it now.
    So good luck to all of you.
    Let's stick to it this time!
  • MelissaLu
    MelissaLu Posts: 83
    Options
    Awww, thanks for this. This is exactly how I was feeling. Only I haven't lost any weight for a while. But I have to really stand back and laugh at myself cause I've only been doing this for what? Four weeks now? xD
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Amen, tutu! There's a song I really like that keeps everything in perspective for me. It's "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus.

There's always gonna be another mountain
    I'm always gonna wanna make it move.
    Always gonna be an uphill battle
    Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose.
    Ain't about how fast I get there.
    Ain't about what's waiting on the other side.
    It's the climb.

Relax and enjoy the journey, people. It's an amazing one, and the closer you get to your goal, the better the view!
  • Rishawna
    Rishawna Posts: 9
    Options
    I really needed this. I stress about this every day. But thanks for helping me put things in perspective.
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think most people forget that they didn't gain the weight in 6 months (unless maybe they were pregnant - certainly not my excuse!), so how can you realistically expect to lose it all and keep it off in that short period of time...I lost 70 pounds over 10 months about 5 years ago doing Atkins...and guess what, as soon as I went back to eating "normally" it all came back and brought 20 "friends" with it...slow and steady wins the race!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Very good point. A year ago, if you'd told me I'd be down 24 pounds and training for a 5 K I'd think you were nuts lol
  • Meekaah
    Meekaah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this story! I have struggled with loosing weight for the last 2 years (motivation, commmitment to exercise) but now that I am getting married, I am determined to get these 20 pounds off! I have to go slow and steady and not rush it because eating right along this journey has been a lifestyle change for me. So, thanks again!
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    BuMp!!~!!~
  • buttercupke
    Options
    Thanks so much I am one of those people who was upset about not losing enough in a week. It really helped me put things into reality.
  • freakincampers
    Options
    1-2 pounds is a safe amount of weight to lose.
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've probably lost over 200 pounds in my 38 years on the planet, but I still need to lose about 65 more because I've always pushed too hard too fast or gotten frustrated when the scale doesn't move for weeks on end.

Tracking calories on MFP has helped me see that my body goes in fits and spurts and that those fits and spurts sometimes are my body and sometimes they are caused by what I do or do not put in my body. When I drink my 8 cups of water per day and get 30 minutes of exercise, I lose weight. When I don't, well, I don't!

Thanks for the post and I hope everyone will keep plugging away one step and one bite at a time!
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm with you guys!! can't count the number of times I was losing slowly only to give up and looking back, I could kick myself. My goal now is to lose 1/2 lb a week. I've lost more than that some weeks but I've always lost at LEAST that so I'm content. If I plateau. I'll wait it out. I know I'll start to lose again and I plan to hit 54 a lean mean fighting machine. I'm 51 1/2 now so I've got plenty of time.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I needed this...of all days I needed this today!!!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I knew this, but it sure helped to read it. I always set fairly relevent goals for myself but when I see I won't reach them, not only does my weight loss slow, but it stalls completely. It's like I get mad when I don't reach those goals I set for myself. But why do we even make timelines anyway? It doesn't really matter when you reach your goal as long as you're trying and you're getting there! But then again, they work for some! I've noticed that they just intimidate me. Now I just want to lose the weight and take how ever long I need to get there. The sooner the better, but I have to remember every pound lost is a pound I'm not carrying around anymore! And, when considering how many times over I could have reached my goal, I just remind myself that the past is the past and in order to make changes I need to focus on what I do daily and make the best of each day, not stay stuck on what I should have done!!

Thanks for the post!
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    Awesome post! And how absolutely true it is. Thank you for reminding all of us that progress is still progress and to keep plugging along at it!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks for such a great post!! You're so right. As long as the scale is moving in the right direction, I need to be happy with it! I haven't really set any "goals" yet, I seem to make daily goals, like water, exercise, food choices, and "hope" I get where I want to be in a timely manner. In the past, I've spent so much time while dieting, counting weeks on the calendar and anticipating losing X pounds by X day.... and inevitably that was so much pressure on me, that if I didn't make a goal for a week or two, I was "off track" and gave up. I'm finally starting to enjoy the process and not just expect my life to start on X day when I've lost X lbs.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    True dat! Thanks for reminding us of what we know is true! Slow and steady wins the race pals! :heart:
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Slow and steady is my motto! Hey...we would all like to do things quicker than we do, but weight loss can't be one of those. It takes a long time to unlearn a behavior that we have had a long time. Sure, I can eat a cheeseburger after I go to the drive thru...or I can take some time and make something healthy...see it takes longer to prepare the feast...so worth it in the long run!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for the post. I need to remember this :flowerforyou: