WII FIT

Options
Anyone use the WII? I have some "games" for it including the WII FIT and some jillian michaels thing. I used them right after i had my son and thought about doing it again, just to add a little more movement to my day on top of the exercise I'm doing.
Anyone find it to be somewhat real exercise? burn any real amount of cals on it? Its been so long since i've used it.
I just dusted it off and pulled it out of hiding, but I cant seem to get the balance board to connect to the system.

Replies

• Shweet_heart
    Shweet_heart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use it when I'm feeling a bit lazy. I have Wii Fit, too, and I find that if you use the strength training part, it can be alright.. there is a site.. wiifitroutine.com that has some exercise routines that are pretty good. Better than randomly clicking through!

Hope it helps!

Edited to say: In the last year I dropped 10 lbs with it.. not great results, but I did over eat a lot, and didn't do much other exercising, so it may have helped. :)
  • Zampa13
    Zampa13 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have one and its been sat gathering dust under my tv for too long. I have actually been thinking of using the wii fit game recently...the hula hoop game always killed me out.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    It's great for beginners. But for intermediate and expert exercisers, those in great shape, it's really nothing. But if you're just trying to use it to add a few more movements to your day, it should help a bit. It's just not really intense, so it doesn't push you all that much. If you have Wii Fit Plus, there's an option to put together a workout that I like. Depending on how you do it, you'll get a 15-60 minute workout. I enjoy doing that more than anything on there.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    any form of movement is 'real' exercise, although you get out of it what you put in. so if you are half assed about it then your workout will be half assed.

I would use a HRM instead of any calorie counts given on the screen though.

We have a wii-u and Ive done my kids "Just dance 4" in the "just sweat" mode, and its very very easy to make the game congratulate you and give you big numbers for calories burned simply by waving one arm around, but really if you put the effort in and do all the kicks and the like then you will end up with a much better workout.

although thats no real comparison to actually hopping on a real bike and doing 10 km.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I was going to use mine tonight but sadly the game-case is empty, not sure where the disk went but I'll use it.
    It's got to be better than just sitting on your butt watching the games, or what passes for entertainment on the tube..and we had fun recently with a cheesy fishing game on the Wii so many laughs that we decided to dig out the balance board.

If ours doesn't connect it gets fresh batteries and moving of the receiver they seem to need line of sight to pair up, and the stronger signal from the fresh batteries heads off the other problems.
  • BlueLadyBug22
    BlueLadyBug22 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do wii fit plus almost everyday, I also do zumba wii and and wii sports for a little extra. I want to get other games. I wouldn't use that as a main source of exercise but I like to use it on lazy days, for warm ups every day and to keep track of weight and progress. I also incorporate other exercises into that though such as weights and walking, Jillian Michael, yoga. Whatever I feel like doing.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have recently fallen back in love with my wii!! I do wii fit for the yoga stuff when I'm sore from other workouts. I also do the free step when I'm watching a stupid tv show...gets me moving for 30 mins while watching tv. I also LOVE EA Sports Active 2 which provides a great, legit, workout. And my boyfriend recently bought me Just Dance 4 and that is so fun I played for an hour tonight and when I was done I was dripping in sweat. Love my wii!
  • landgrimtham1977
    Options
    used to play Wii fit with wife and kids but the game got too dull for me so I stop playing it. Like some gals mention you can actually cheat if u swing your remote alot so that's kinda bummer especially for running and stuff.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use it every day. Actually started the free running in my lounge by running up and down the passage-way. I built up enough muscle and stamina through running in my house that I can now do a 20 minute run outside. I wasn't confident enough to start running outside, but the Wii helped me a lot. I also dropped 10 Kg's in 5 months by only doing Wii exercises and correct eating. So I'm a big fan of the Wii!
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do this. I have the Wii Fit Plus, and use it for a lot of reasons:

1. I just wasn't getting to the gym;
    2. It's too flipping cold outside to get in a walk or a run outside;
    3. I wasn't doing anything else.

I weigh in everyday on it, and keep track of how things are going that way, along with other markers of health (steps, waist measurement).

The calorie count is similar to what MFP gives me, and I don't have a HRM, so that works for me.

I love the boxing, the running, and the mind-body games. The latter helps me to shake off a stressful day, and those happen a lot.

I don't cheat, I know how I could, and that would be silly.
  • sarahmichelle91xx
    sarahmichelle91xx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love mine I use it daily, I have wii fit plus and I also find biggest loser is a great work out.
  • Trishab415
    Trishab415 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Wii Zumba nearly daily since the first of the year and I really like it. I am hoping to builf from there. I questions the amount of calories it says I am burning (ex: 611 calories after an hour workout). I think it is too many. But either way, I am working out, sweating, laughing at myself and having fun.
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    I used mine a few years ago and lost a fair bit of weight with that as my main exercise.

I did think of getting it out again as I don't ALWAYS want to go to the pool.

I agree with the free step on the balance board and the free running activities. I'm definitely NOT a runner but I did enjoy the jogging around the room and it definitely made me sweat.

My favourite activities were the ones where you were constantly moving (as opposed to balancing). The bicycle, boxing, marching and kung fu.

My favourite Wii activity though is Wii Active. I love the boxing (and the boxing on the Wii Sports is sweat worthy as well) and the volleyball is great if you do it properly (you'll be doing squats without knowing it). Tennis is fun too. The Dance is great too ... I set it on the hardest level and I bought myself some pompoms and attached my wireless motes to them. Instead of just moving one arm I'd move both and add a few shakes. By the end I was happy and sweaty!! LOL

I've got Biggest Loser but I found it HARD ... maybe it's just the challenge I need ... From memory though it was frustrating that you couldn't chose your routine/time.
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fit plus 6 days out of 7, I have 1 day off mid week.

Mon to Friday I do 30 mins total , 10 mins free step and 20 mins free jog.
    Sat and Sunday I do 1 hour total, 20 mins free step, 10 mins hula hooping or some muscle stuff, and a 30 minute fee jog.

Loving it. and am losing approx 1lb per week when before xmas I was at a bit of a plateau and only losing about 1lb per month

If you are having a problem connecting the board try new batteries and re synchrinizing it by pressing the button underneath and the red button under the flap on your wii within 5 secs of each other with the game running, that is quite important that the game should be starting.
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i cant get the balance board to connect!! i checked the batteries twice, even with brand new ones it still wont connect. could I be missing something obvious? (Im pressing the button in the front like it says... it just blinks a couple times and goes dark)
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    press the little button underneath and the red button under the flap on your wii when the big button is flashing. It should re synchronize it. You must have the game running though when you do it

It took me a few times to get the timing right the first time I did it
  • DawnM411
    DawnM411 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Iv'e started using my EA Acitve 2 again and I can certainly feel it. But for some reason when I do the hammer curls it almost always thinks that I am not doing them. But other than that, I can feel the burn in my arms, legs, and abdomen. I am doing the 9 week program, and it keeps adding exercises as I continue to work out. I also love doing the step aerobics although I have not synched it to my wii fit board I use it and I can really feel it. Since I have been pretty much LAZY for the past year, I think it is helping. Once spring arrives, I plan on walking (maybe even running) outside, its just been to dang cold for me - I HATE winter :wink: !!
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    i cant get the balance board to connect!! i checked the batteries twice, even with brand new ones it still wont connect. could I be missing something obvious? (Im pressing the button in the front like it says... it just blinks a couple times and goes dark)

Are you synching it with the game? If I press the board button before I start my game it goes black .. but is fine once the game prompts me to press the button.

I did have a nightmare when I first got the board getting everything to synch, but I think it was because I was too impatient to read the instructions!! LOL