Fruit & Carbs!

Options
brendac72
brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
I love fruit, pretty much all kinds and before joing MFP I never realized how many carbs are in fruit. Whats up with that? So, needless to say with summer coming and all the yummy fruits coming into season I will be over on carbs a lot! You think you're doing good and making the right choices by eating fruits and then you log it in. :angry:

Replies

• coold
    coold Posts: 85
    Options
    Hopefully they are "good" carbs!! guess it's because of the natural sugars.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Going over on carbs because of fruits and veggies doesn't count. You're good to go! Our bodies process natural carbs and sugars differently than a carb-loaded candy bar... you get the picture ;)
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ohh Gawd I know!!! And watermelon is one of my faves and its really just loaded with sugar : (
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    They ARE good carbs and you need them to be fit and healthy. Eat your fruit. Stay away from carbs that have no nutritional value and you will still lose inches and weight and probably lose cancer cells as well. Eat your veggies and some lean protein while you're at it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There is no fruit AND carbs. They just ARE carbs.

And if you're body uses them as an energy source...it counts.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I think your carb intake can deviate from mfp as long as you keep hitting your overall caloric goals. I personally have modified my goals to be high on carbs and protein and low on fat. I eat tons of fruit and veges, tons of good carbs ( no processed sugars) and I easily lose my 2 lbs a week and always feel full. I do agree that fruit sugars are essentially sugars but if you are counting calories and eat healthy foods and come in with a defecit I'm sure you will be ok.

What I would never suggest is the consumption of processed carbs since they can really negatively impact your blood sugar and make you hungry later (think white rice). Most fruits have low to medium glycemic indexes and/or low glycemic loads and should be ok in my opinion.
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Alright! thanks for all your responses and I will keep eating the fruit. My bad carbs are under control so I think I'm good .
  • freakincampers
    Options
    Fruits are nutrient dense foods. Even if you go over with fruits, it is okay. The vitamins/minerals that they bring to the body is better than eating a chocolate bar, which is an energy dense food.