Body fat scales...?

Options
Does anyone know if a metal on metal hip replacement affects the reading from a body fat scale?

I'm (slowly) losing weight but my body fat reading was 32.9% last week and is 34.4% this week. I weigh 147lb. Don't have any pics that I can post on here (I take my progress pics naked)

I'm 5'7" tall UK size 12

Replies

• mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    They arn't very accurate.

Here is some info: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128802671&page=1
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if that particular variable factors in, but there are soooo many other variables that I don't trust those scales at all. They can change daily depending on your level of hydration, for example.

No body fat tests that you do at home are 100% accurate anyway, they are basically to show you progression and to make sure it is going in the correct direction. I prefer the Navy method because measuring circumferences is easy...it is far from accurate, though...but at least it gives me the obvious answer of "I'm losing body fat" when the inches in my waist and hips go down.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My guess is the metal would make an already unreliable method even more unreliable. They work by sending an electrical signal from one node through your body and to the other node. The signal travels faster through water based tissue and more electrolytic solutions go even faster, so hydration plays a big part. Fat moves slowest. Add to that, the signal takes the path of least resistance from one node to the other, so it's never going to measure your whole body. Now you've introduced a conductor to the mix.

I would ditch the BIA scale and get a tape measure and a pair of cheap calipers. FWIW, 30+% sounds kind of high (but not unreasonable) at your bodyweight and height. It might be off.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Okay. PM me the progress pics and I'll give you my private opinion on if your body fat levels are increasing or decreasing. I'm dead serious