Whats the deal???

Options
Is it bad to exercise when your sick (cold/flu) or is it ok?
Everyone says rest.... but i just want to gym and get back into my routine after all my bad new year and Christmas eating :(

To work out or not to work out? Is it bad or ok?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you are willing and able, then work out.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    maybe its not bad to workout, but Id do it on my own, I wouldnt like if I got sick just cause the ´neighbor´ in the gym gave the the virus :)
    Try working out at home, or take a walk instead.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, how sick are you? If you have the urge to work out, maybe you are well enough to. If you get too exhausted when you try to work out, or have a huge coughing fit, maybe you aren't. There are lots of moms who will tell you to just rest and I don't know the medical answer. You don't want to wear yourself out and prolong being sick. I would say, be sure you aren't starving yourself if you choose to work out, and you can do a lower intensity workout than you would otherwise. Just remember that your body is using energy to fight the bug, too.

Having said that, I googled it and there are (of course) conflicting answers. Some even say moderate exercise when you have a cold can be beneficial. Just don't force yourself to do too much. (And don't get other people sick by sneezing all over them at the gym.)

The flu is bad news this year. If that's what you have, maybe check with a doctor.

Edit: Here's a good answer - don't if you have a fever or chest congestion.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    maybe its not bad to workout, but Id do it on my own, I wouldnt like if I got sick just cause the ´neighbor´ in the gym gave the the virus :)
    Try working out at home, or take a walk instead.

I agree with this.

I've exercised while I was sick before, and it didn't make me feel even more sick...in fact, the symptoms seemed to ease while I was working out. And I was doing things at home, like using workout DVDs. I have cardio DVDs as well as Bowflex adjustable weights at home for those days when I can't make it to the gym.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I dont know the 'True' answer to this, but ive always worked through my sickness (if i can)

A few years back i went to bed knowing something bad was coming. The next morning, i was drained, hot, cold, sweating. Horrible fever.

I decided to go to work in track pants, jumper and beanie during a warm day ,and pulled up pavers all day long. Sweated like a :huh: and drank loads of water.

By that evening i was coming good and by the next day, i was great.

From that experience, I've always tried to 'work' through my illness.

The above doesnt apply to 'Icky Tummy' or 'Squigy bum'. :laugh:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A Dr. told me it was ok to work with a sinus infection, but I didn't feel well enough. If you can and want to, then do, I'd say.
  • trudob
    trudob Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    Yay first time Ive posted one of these and had replies so huge Thank you.

Yeah I Don't want to put people off at the gym. Maybe a gentle walk is the answer.

I just have a cold I think? the usual head cold and 'snottiness' ......

I think I will do the walk maybe add some press ups etc on my way.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The old saying is if above the neck ( nasal congestion cold) its ok. Below( chest congestion) no. How true i cannot say. I do know for myself, if I am nasally congested without a headache a MILD workout opens things up and I feel better

Its common sense, if you have a chest cold and have breathing issues, maybe listen to yourbody and let it heal itself.

Though lately I have heard from my trainers at my gym NOT to workout while sick. Even rest a good week or two depending on how long sick to give the body time to heal. Especially if there is fever involved. Some studies supposidly have shown that strenous exercise with fever can do organ / heart damage that can pop up later. Which agai. Is common sense. With a feverthe body is busy doing other things
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I workout with a cold, I've worked out while having food poisoning, I've even worked out while being injured with shin splints.

A cold is nothing. If you can still breathe..... then there is no excuse :) those who state they can't...are just wimps.