Eating Lots but Losing Too Fast

Options
So, I'm about 6' tall and I weigh 340. I want to get down to 140 eventually. I know people say to lose 1-2 pounds per week, but I started a vegan diet last week and already lost 14 pounds. I realize it will slow, but is that ok to start out? I drank plenty of water and ate around 1300 calories. Is that dangerous or am I losing so fast because my starting weight is so high?

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Water weight. It will slow down
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont think there is any need to eat so little - 1500-1800 would probably still see you lose a couple of pounds a week, but if you dont feel like you are struggling with 1300 then thats fine.

the high amount of weight loss this week was probably mainly water, and you wont lose that much each week. but keep at it and you will see results in no time!!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    1300 is too low for someone who is 340. You might want to up your intake a little or be ready for a wild fast ride of weight loss.
  • ashleylmp
    ashleylmp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1300 is too low for someone who is 340. You might want to up your intake a little or be ready for a wild fast ride of weight loss.

I mean, I'm definitely ready haha, I'm just concerned if it's safe?
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm short, and I'm a girl, and I NEVER had to eat less than 1500 to lose weight :glasses:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, at the very beginning you may lose very rapidly (usually water weight). Give it a few weeks, the rate should level off.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    1. It's water weight and will slow down.

2. 1300 is too low for you and you will be starving weak and miserable soon if you keep it up. I suggest 1600-1800.

3. 130 is too low a goal weight for your height. I am 5'2" and 124, look at my pics. That would be like me saying me goal is 90 pounds. Shoot for 160-170 and re-evaluate when you get there.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    If you weigh 340, you are definitely eating far too little. I'm a 252lb female and I eat 1800! Read this link, this will give you all the info you need to lose it healthily.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Also, you are in the first week so it will be fast. The majority of that will be water, and for bigger people, losing it fast in the beginning won't do you any harm. It will slow eventually.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think given your high starting weight it is ok for the time being.

When people say that it is "unsafe" to lose more than 1-2 lbs a week it is because for the average person the implication is they are losing predominantly muscle rather than fat. if they experience more than 2lbs loss a week. This in turn is because of the different energy yields from 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat and how it relates to calorie deficits.

However, obese people are the exception to this. Given their abundant fat stores, their bodies can handle a much steeper deficit and will use fat rather than muscle to power itself despite how large the deficit is that has been established.

I would suggest slowly upping your calories though to find the highest calorie level that you can get away with and still lose weight at a reasonable level. I know you probably want the weight gone like yesterday but if you train your body to survive on so few calories when you plateau due to a metabolic downshift (and its very likely you will) you have very little room for maneouvre. You can't cut realistically cut more calories if you are barely eating anything to begin with and exercise is generally much less efficient in establishing a deficit than diet. Less sometimes is very much more.

Bonne chance!
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My doctor wasn't concerned about rapid weight loss at the beginning. I'm still losing about a half-pound a day.

I am well aware that this will decrease as my weight decreases. I'm just enjoying the ride for now.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    1300 seems really low for your heights and weight. Maybe double check your BMR on www.fat2fitradio.com/tools and adjust to a few hundred above that? That being said, for your weight that much at first can be expected, however you can also expect that number to drasically slow down in a few weeks. Just remember to measure because the scales lie, and to keep at it! Weight loss is not linear but is more of a 'scribble'. Good luck!
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Most of it is Water weight
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I will recommend u to up ur calories to 1800 to 2000 a day u still will lose a lot fast so that way when u have less weight and ur weight platou u can do changes and get on track so do your 30min walks at least 4 to 5 days a week and will see great results and steady weight loss drinks lots of veggie and lean proteins lots of water and keep track of ur cabs u will do great
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do u feel faint, weak? Does it affect your routine eg, sleep, concentration etc? If yes, you may need to adjust upwards. Ensure you get a good balanced diet.
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    And don't weight yourself all the time
  • ArtemisMoon
    Options
    I am 5'8, 280 and can lose a pound or two a week at 2000 calories. More if I avoid processed sugars, ease back on carbs and get most of my calories from proteins and veggies. You are eating really low.