early morning workout the best time ?

Options
Do you think working out early morning helps you achieve more results than working out on an evening like I do ?

Replies

• tattoobabe
    tattoobabe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to workout in the morning. Having 2 small kids and working full time its the only time i can get it in. Also my energy level is up. Whenever u excercise it doesn't really matter as long as you are moving. But if you feel its easier to get a workout in say 5am over say 5pm then make getting up early a habit and working out.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    not sure if its true or not but they say you burn more morning wkouts prior to eating :)
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    No. It's whatever time works best for YOU.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It's not true that it's better to work out in the morning.
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to workout in the morning. Having 2 small kids and working full time its the only time i can get it in. Also my energy level is up. Whenever u excercise it doesn't really matter as long as you are moving. But if you feel its easier to get a workout in say 5am over say 5pm then make getting up early a habit and working out.

I totally agree with this. I find that if I put it off until later on in the evening I am so completely exhausted by the end of the day I will not do the exercise I intend to do. It also puts me a in a much better mood for the rest of the day
  • AllyLouB
    AllyLouB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above..morning is usually best as by evening you re so tired and ready to sit down that you rush through the workout and don't give it 100%. That's what I do.

I work out either while daughter is at nursery, or non nursery days when she's in bed after lunch. Then by the evening, I can get her in bed, get my own pjs on and be as lazy as I like :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think it matters. However, often times if I skip the morning workout something will come up with the kids, or my husband will come home late from work, etc., and I don't get to the gym. I'd rather get it over and done with. Plus, I notice when I work out I eat better throughout the day, some of it is because it works as a natural appetite depressant for me, the other part is mental...i.e. workout = healthy = good foods.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    One theory says that you get your metabolism burning if you workout in the mornings,

Another theory says that you should workout in the evening to burn off calories you have eaten during the day.

The science says that you should workout at whatever time of day you will do it consistently. Some people will be more consistent in the mornings because there isn't any time to come up with excuses and no one ever calls at the last minute to see of you want to go out for a glass of OJ. Other people are more consistent at night because the burn off the stress they have built up through the day.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Timing of exercise as well as eating is irrelavent except MAYBE if you are an elite althlete looking to get a .03% increase in performance.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    The best time is the time you will stick to it. For me, that's early morning. Between two kids and a full time job, it's the only time it's getting done. I also enjoy getting it up and out of the way and having more energy the rest of the day. It's a win-win!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It works for me, but that doesn't mean that it will work for everyone.

I like to get my run done at 6am before the kids are up and before my husband leaves for work. I find I have loads more energy during the day if I do. I find exercising in the evening harder to fit around the kids and their activities, and I also find I am tired and so can easily make excuses and not to it. Some things have to be done in the evening though - the pool doesn't open early enough to do that before work and school so I have to swim in the evenings.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have read that fasted training leads to better performance because your body accomplishes more when it is not preoccupied with the digestion of food. Anecdotally, I have found that to be true for myself. I always seem to be able to lift more when I am fasted, for example. So if you are training for some level of performance or strength, it may make a slight difference to train when you have gone without eating for a while. For most people, that would be in the morning before breakfast, but if you're an intermittent faster, it could easily be in the afternoon or evening.

But in terms of metabolism and overall weight loss, I don't think it matters at all. You don't get any more of a metabolic boost from working out in the morning than you would in the evening, all other things being equal. I train in the evening after work. Sometimes I'm fasted, sometimes I'm not. But after work is a time I can easily commit to. Early morning, not so much.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this, as I was just wondering myself. I definitely am NOT an early morning exerciser! I prefer to plan my day and drink my coffee before getting to work. I enjoy an evening workout, as that helps me sleep at night. I used to need a sleep aid, but am finding a good, hard work out has the same calming effect on my body and brain.

The only downside to this is, at the end of the day and a hard Zumba workout, I end up with 600 cals I have to eat back at a time in the evening I really don't want to be eating. Oh well, as long as I'm working out, it's all that matters.
  • mmusashi
    Options
    It all depends on what you are going for. I have read that early morning workouts are best for weight loss (due to the fact that you more than likely are working out prior to eating) and consistency (because it is easier to stick to a workout routine when you workout prior to other daily activities). However it is also stated that workouts later in the day yield less risk of injury and better muscular growth.