How did I gain???

Options
Okay so I weighed myself last week before I started going to the gym. Did some serious workouts on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. Couldn't make it Friday but that one day should'nt be why I've gained 2 lbs since Wendesday. I've stayed right around my calorie and fat intake, I've burned hundreds of calories, and I still managed to gain weight. This is NOT what I'm trying to do. This is where my old self is kicking in and telling me I'll never lose the weight and that I should just stop trying.

Replies

• fevermaps
    fevermaps Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle?
  • fatyoga
    fatyoga Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Very likely that you are retaining water. When you first start working out, your body tries to hang onto all the water it can to help your muscles recover. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and give it time. Are you feeling better since you started working out? Don't let the scale rule your life. Focus on the positive and hang in there!:smile:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Very likely that you are retaining water. When you first start working out, your body tries to hang onto all the water it can to help your muscles recover. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and give it time. Are you feeling better since you started working out? Don't let the scale rule your life. Focus on the positive and hang in there!:smile:

This.
  • itsmaymee
    Options
    You're definitely NOT gaining muscle. Maybe you're carrying bit of water in your muscles from the workouts. I noticed you said you were staying "around" your daily calorie intake. Push yourself to stay at or under it. And keep burning those calories! You will start dropping it like crazy if you do! Keep it up! You're doing great!

By around I meant at or under. One day I did go over by like 30 calories. This site has me at 1200 calories which is hard to get used to considering it means changing a lot of the things I'm used to eating.
  • itsmaymee
    Options

I never thought about it being water weight. I'll keep that in mind as I push on. Thanks!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You're definitely NOT gaining muscle. Maybe you're carrying bit of water in your muscles from the workouts. I noticed you said you were staying "around" your daily calorie intake. Push yourself to stay at or under it. And keep burning those calories! You will start dropping it like crazy if you do! Keep it up! You're doing great!

By around I meant at or under. One day I did go over by like 30 calories. This site has me at 1200 calories which is hard to get used to considering it means changing a lot of the things I'm used to eating.

What is your goal. 1.5 pounds per week, right? Change it to 1 pound per week.. You need food!
    The gain is most likely fluid, as others have said.
  • itsmaymee
    Options

I'm a very impatient person and yes, I have it at 1.5 per week. I get very discouraged if I don't see results fast. Yes, I know that it takes time and it's not healthy to lose a lot of weight fast. I just feel like I put it on over night and I want to lose it over night. But maybe I will change it and see if that helps. Thanks!
    What is your goal. 1.5 pounds per week, right? Change it to 1 pound per week.. You need food!
    The gain is most likely fluid, as others have said.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle?

^That's very, very hard to do on a calorie deficit. Building/gaining muscle takes a lot of effort - and you typically have to eat at a calorie surplus.

Most likely, your muscles are retaining fluid from your recent workouts. Drink plenty of water and take a rest day.