NO Carb diet? Help Please!!!

My doctor has put me on a 60 Carb a day diet. Now she is complaining that I am not eating enough calories....oh yea, and I am not allowed Gluten or Dairy....
Any suggestions?
By the way, Cardboard IS Carb/Dairy/Gluten free....or at least that is what everything is starting to taste like!
Help!!!!

Replies

• 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Beef Jerky, avocado, kale, spinach, eggs, fish...... hmmm... this is hard :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    steer clear of cereal grains, starchy vegetables and legumes.

eat lots of fish, eggs, meat, low carb veggies like greens

have some almond milk with egg white protein powder in it

By avoiding dairy and gluten, it's actually HELPING you keep your carbs down.

I have even found that if I'm careful, I can enjoy a nice glass of green juice and still come in at under 50 grams of carbs for the day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I'd be asking what her reasoning is for this. Sounds extreme without some sound medical reasoning behind it.
  • High protein, high fat, no carb. Veggies, Meat, some fruit. Can you do any dairy at all like cheese or yogurt? I am doing the same thing by the way. Diabetic, Celiac's, allergic to milk and sunflower oil. But, I can eat yogurt. There are other dairy alternatives, you just need to check the carbs. If you want to send me a friend request you can view my diary. Eggs, fish, chicken, lean burger meat, I even eat pork or ground pork. I have been snacking on pork rinds cause I miss potato chips. High in fat and protein but no carbs. You'll just have to watch your sodium intake.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    By the way, Cardboard IS Carb/Dairy/Gluten free...

For what it's worth - I'm pretty sure cardboard is a carb. :)

But as fiber, she should let you remove those carbs...

Prime rib or ribeye have a few calories...
    Bacon is tasty...
    Mushrooms?
  • This website might help. If you add good fats, you can easily get your calories to healthy 1200.
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf,
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    NOT a doctor but CARBS = BRAIN POWER. Maybe why you're having such a hard time thinking of things to eat. Yikes.
  • My insulin levels are CRITICAL. She wants me less than 60 for 2 months, then recheck.

I thought I was doing great yesterday....eating fresh vegetables......Broccoli was the killer!!!
    I am going to ask if it matters about "good" carbs...such as Broccoli.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    So easy. Eggs, fish, beef, chicken, lamb, nuts, oils, avacodos, vegetables, I mean, there's so much food. It's easy. Not hard at all. It's only arc to figure out how to not fill your plate with carbs because that's the majority of the idiotic American diet. But, once you adjust, it's so dang easy.

Look up primal and Paleo websites. They all have lots of recipe ideas. It will help you figure out combinations. I'm proud of your doctor. So awesome! Seriously.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Join the Low Carb group for some recipe and meal ideas. A lot of people post pictures.

I have insulin resistance, so I have to reduce mine, but I get 100 - 130 carbs per day. 60 seems pretty low. Has she put you on Metformin as well?

These are from my Most Frequent Foods list. I don't eat them all at once. They're just some ideas for you.

Breakfast: omelet with cheese, spinach, and some kind of meat; Greek yogurt (low sugar variety); Atkins protein bar

Lunch: Tuna salad on Slimwiches, Ham roll-ups with swiss cheese, cucumber slices with prosciutto and cheese (like little sandwiches), veggie sticks

Dinner: Chicken or turkey, more veggies, brown rice if I still have some carbs left over, sometimes I make scrambled eggs, cauliflower pizza bites (Pinterest has the recipe)

Snacks: raspberries or a banana if I want something sweet, celery with peanut butter (low sugar variety), string cheese, almonds, dry roasted peanuts (without salt)
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    NOT a doctor but CARBS = BRAIN POWER. Maybe why you're having such a hard time thinking of things to eat. Yikes.

Funny, you seem to be lacking in that area. Some people have medical conditions that require them to keep their sugar and carbs low.

Also, you can get BRAIN POWER from many, many, many other foods.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Sauté those veggies in olive oil, they will hold you over longer!
  • MissyI30
    MissyI30 Posts: 382 Member
    Maybe try adding syntrax nectar protein shakes or the premier protein shakes or about time shakes I mention these ones because they are either really low carb or no carb protein shakes. Fage Greek yogurt and lean meats. Almond milk is good to use for no carbs I even use it in recipes.
  • So easy. Eggs, fish, beef, chicken, lamb, nuts, oils, avacodos, vegetables, I mean, there's so much food. It's easy. Not hard at all. It's only arc to figure out how to not fill your plate with carbs because that's the majority of the idiotic American diet. But, once you adjust, it's so dang easy.

Look up primal and Paleo websites. They all have lots of recipe ideas. It will help you figure out combinations. I'm proud of your doctor. So awesome! Seriously.

While it is easy to find food to eat, and you are correct about the American diet, I have been doing this similar way of eating for 3 going on 4 weeks now. And I can tell you that when you eat more fat and protein, it is harder to WANT to eat more to fill the calories. Carbs have more empty calories and for those who are low at the end of the day they could eat a baked potato or something. Those with insulin resistance can not. So I feel her dilemma as far as the caloric intake.