How many calories am I burning by doing the 30day shred?

Options
I'm currently on day 7 of the 30 day shred level 1- I'm just wondering if anybody knows a rough guide to how many calories I'm burning off?

Replies

• dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way to figure it out is to get a heart rate monitor. Since everyone has a different body composition and the amount of effort you put into each routine will drastically change the amount of kcals burned during a session. On a VERY generic scale, you can look at 100 kcals burned for every 10-15 minutes if you are pushing it.. But honestly, the only way to know for sure, is to use a heart rate monitor.
  • julietcrooks
    Options
    Because it's quite a short workout I usually conservatively log 200 cals and really push it....and anything else is a bonus :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Most folks log it under the "circuit training, general" listing in the exercise database. The calculation seems to be pretty accurate for that one.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You should definitely get a HRM, it makes such a difference! I usually burn 200 - 300 something. I started burning less the more I was doing one level, so since you are on day seven, you are probably starting to burn less because it's getting easier. When I started level two, I started burning 300 something again.
  • ksfischer
    ksfischer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What HR monitors do you use?? I have been reading about the different ones but not sure which ones are the most accurate and user friendly.
  • KattKitty
    KattKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on the Internet, after asking this very question, that even though it varies for everyone, it was designed for 157 calories burned (in general). There were several articles alluding to this magic number.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What HR monitors do you use?? I have been reading about the different ones but not sure which ones are the most accurate and user friendly.
    I have a very old Polar F1.. Only a couple buttons and only holds 1 workout's worth of data. Can't get much more user friendly than that. :) My wife has an F7 (FT7?) A little more to it and it holds a lot more data.. But, we really like our Polars..
  • rhiannonjh
    rhiannonjh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tend to burn about 180cals on level 2 with my HRM (polar ft7)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit, which shows calories burned.

I used 6 lb weights when I did the shred, and the BMF showed I burned 165 to 180 calories per session.
  • zombiekookie
    zombiekookie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I add in 20 mins of general aerobics.
  • MommaToFour
    Options
    I use a HRM and typically burn 200-230 each time.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    The "circuit training, general" number is usually the closest for people.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on the Internet, after asking this very question, that even though it varies for everyone, it was designed for 157 calories burned (in general). There were several articles alluding to this magic number.

On level 1 I burn about 135-155 cals (according to my hrm) but I'm near to goal weight and exercise regularly.
  • kcsaville
    kcsaville Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 HRM and love it. I tend to burn right around the 300-325 calorie mark doing 30 day shred when I really push it through the whole workout.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with getting a HRM, just got one and found out I was burning way more calories than it was estimated, which was a surprise for me since I assumed I was burning less because of my knee issues, I am unable to do a lot of the high impact stuff. I got an Omron strapless, not top of the line and I have to touch it with 2 fingers to get a reading, but it was only $30 on Amazon, and so far a good beginner model.
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My HRM (has a chest strap) shows me 450-500 calories per 30 Day Shred workout. That seems high. I guess my HRM isn't a very good one?

It's a T5G981 model. I loed it up, and other people on the forums have the same issue. Guess I wasted my money :(
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't know for certain but I would imagine that the amount of calories burned is different based on a number of factors. I am thinking that a 300 pound man doing it and a 200 pound man doing it are going to burn differently so you might really need a HR monitor that takes that into account to be close.
  • joprincessporter
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies - I will deffo look into buying one of those!