Yes or no?

I am going to start Jillian's Ripped in 30 DVD (for 30 straight days - yes, I will stick to it this time) and I also have her Killer Abs. I was thinking of alternating the 2 for 30 days to help with the weight loss since the workouts are only 20 minutes or so for each DVD. The issue I'm confused about is my belly. I have 2 kids, both were c-sections and I do have the "shelf" belly. This is my MAIN concern that I hate more than anything and I know lots of cardio and my diet (mostly) is what will help, but will the Killer Abs help too? Will focusing so much on abs do any good if I haven't slimmed that area down yet? (building muscle in that area before I've dropped the fat/weight)
Anyone else have experience doing this?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    No, ab isolation exercises do not help with belly fat.
  • I'd like to know the answer to that also... My stomach is definitely my worst area lol. I've always thought that you have to work out the muscle underneath the fat to see any results, but I recently read this article about Britney Spears Syndrome that was posted by another MFP user....

http://joeysgymclass.com/?p=158

So no, ab exercises will not work. The abs are muscles like any other, and they will get bigger underneath the fat! I'm focusing more on dropping the weight first, then building muscle. (I'm also 203 lbs at 5'5")
  • If you are on a calorie deficit you will not build muscle. You need to be in a deficit in order to lose the belly fat. Doing weights or ab exercises will burn a few calories and will help to strengthen muscles. You will notice a difference in your appearance as you lose the fat because you will be able to see the muscle better, this does not mean you are building muscle, you need a calorie surplus to do that.
  • Just to add to my last post, the ab video will not directly help with the belly fat any more than the other video will. They will both burn some calories and that is what will help get rid of the belly fat.
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    If you are on a calorie deficit you will not build muscle. You need to be in a deficit in order to lose the belly fat. Doing weights or ab exercises will burn a few calories and will help to strengthen muscles. You will notice a difference in your appearance as you lose the fat because you will be able to see the muscle better, this does not mean you are building muscle, you need a calorie surplus to do that.

Great answer. Thank you.