P90X Frustrated

Options
I have been doing P90X for 8 weeks now and I love it!! However, when I started doing it I developed a little bit of knee pain. So I began modifying all of my moves and working with a rehab trainer to make it better and keep it from getting worse. Now I have fluid on my knee :( and my trainer told me I can't do ANY Plyo or any other jumping for at least 2 weeks and after that I have to modify everything even more. I am SO frustrated!!! I have been doing so well, I have been losing weight, getting stronger and I have seen a real difference. I just feel so discouraged in that I am doing something to better myself and it is causing new problems. I know I can (and will) do other cardio in place of Plyo, I just don't feel that I get as good of a workout doing anything else. I just don't want to lose my motivation. Oh yeah, and I asked my trainer what would happen if I didn't listen to him, he said I would have knee surgery within the next year. I guess I will listen. ;) Thanks for listening to me vent!

Replies

• natspoiledbrat
    Options
    You need to listen to your trainer and have to know the limitations of your knee. I know! It sucks. If you push yourself too hard even though your knee is telling you to stop. Maybe as far as cardio, you can try interval training on an arc trainer or elliptical. I have found interval training to be very beneficial for weight loss.
  • lzam
    lzam Posts: 6
    Options
    Everything will be okay. You dont want to hurt yourself. All great things happen in time... Like Tony Horton says " Rome wasnt built in a day... KPP
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I can't jump either (shin problems), I still do my Plyo DVDs, I just modify and stay low.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I know that having to modify the exercises can be discouraging and frustrating BUT you have to listen to your body. I have Lupus and often suffer with joint pain, fluid on the joints and have to take cortizone on a regular basis just to keep me walking... but I am following the P90X program. Some days are great and I can push myself further but other days I just have to LISTEN to my body... that doesn't mean sitting on the couch, I just modify the exercises so that I can still feel the burn, push myself to go as far as I can go and most importantly I am seeing results too...

Chin up! Your knees will heal and you will be back at it again... BRING IT!

Marge
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You'll bounce back. It's not like you can only do one round. Take it easy and build yourself back to health, then BRING IT!
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My knees bother me also. Especially after Plyo. I would just modify the moves and bring it as best as you can.
  • ktmunchie
    ktmunchie Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks you guys for all your support!! I know I will make it, it just seems like a huge setback right now. I will keep my head up and "Do my best and forget the rest!" :happy:
  • tenaarnett
    tenaarnett Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to read everything you are going through. It is important that you listen to your dr though. I am a coach on beachbody and in my 8th Round of P90X. About 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and have undergone 3 surgeries. I am happy to say that I am now CANCER FREE. Recovery consisted of alot of modifying for me. I could not do any jumping or jarring type workout or weightlifting. I did other various workouts like RevAbs, Slim in 6 and Tony's 1 on 1 workouts plus some of Tony's P90 workouts! At first I had to ride a stationary recumbent bike and elliptical trainer and slowly I returned back to normal. Now I am back on P90X and on my third week of Round 8.

I wish you the best!!

Tena
  • ktmunchie
    ktmunchie Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Congrats on being cancer free!!! That is huge. You really put things into perspective for me. If YOU can do it I can do it. :smile: You look amazing! Thanks again for your encouragement. I will modifiy and keep plugging away.