Protein shakes as meal replacements?

Options
I have decided to try to replace no breakfast with a protein shake as it is quick and something I can drink on the go. Plus instead of taking the easy way out and eating a high calorie/fat lunch I am having another protein shake. These shakes are just under 400 calories each and seem to keep me full until it is time for the next one or dinner.

What I worry about is whether this is a good approach or not, or even a healthy way of going about my weight loss as I have over 100 pounds to loss. Can anyone give me advice on this? Any help would be much appreciated! I would consult a doctor but I have no health insurance so I am stuck with resorting to internet searches and chats.

Thanks in advance!

Just to clarify what I mean about a protein shake it is more than just the powder and water. Here is what my shakes consist of:

6 table spoons of half and half
3 table spoons of carnation instant breakfast
1 1/2 cups of vanilla soy milk
1 scoop of vanilla protein

Replies

• ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I found that planned meal replacements didn't work. I like protein shakes - but I use them for the days when I'm in a hurry or there is nothing available that will fit my eating style - ie:no leftover meats, no veggies as its grocery day tomorrow, etc. I personally didn't see any success at all when I purposefully replaced meals with shakes. It got super boring and I enjoy eating food too much! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My only concern would be vitamins/minerals. Real food is so much more than just calories and often times protein shakes don't give you all the other good stuff.
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Hi,

I bought a whey protein shake today and I will be using them in place of breakfast as sometimes I can't face anything to eat in the morning.

As for you using it for two meals of the day, I have always been told that it's not advisable as your tummy gets used to mainly fluids being inside it and when you lose what you want to and you go back to eating even sensible meals, you will put weight on as food is not fluid.

I am very new to this and like I say, I am in no possition to advise people but it's just what I've always been told (Dr, if I remember rightly) and that's why I won't do it.

Annie xxx
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You could go with an energy bar instead. Most protein shakes are not balanced in the least from a standpoint of macro-nutrients or vitamins/minerals. I know that Clif Builder bars are pretty much all in the neighborhood of 40/30/30 calorie distribution. Still probably not as good as eggs and toast, but a lot more convenient.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a protein shake is not designed as a meal replacement - it is just extra protein....

plus, are you going to drink shakes twice a day for the rest of your life...??? take the time to learn portion control and follow a balanced diet - your health is the most importnt thing you have, after all!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do:

scoop of protein powder of choice
    1 cup fage fat free yogurt
    1/2 cup milk
    sometimes a banana or 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed, generally not both
    Blend and put in a go-cup

It is anywhere from 275 to 455 calories, depending on the powder and the banana. Good punch of energy and great punch of protein.

On days I add this, I generally hit my micros and not just my macros.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories generally aren't very filling.