Woke up at 5 AM with Hunger Pains.. Need Advice!

Options
Hi Everyone, I started MFP on Monday and have done a pretty good job at sticking to my calorie intake. Lord only knows how
many calories I ate before... now I am down to 1250 calories a day. Big Change..

Was the first week the hardest for you too? I woke up at 5 am with extreme Hunger pains. I ate some oatmeat and am now going to attempt to go back to bed.

I eat dinner at 7 everynight and then do not eat again for the rest of the night.. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good night time snack that will hold me over all night? Thanks for the help and encouragment! Sarah :flowerforyou:

Replies

• beccasetsfire
    Options
    I heard that eating a little bit of fruit before going to bed it good... Half an apple, a few grapes, etc...
  • mkwade7380
    Options
    I heard that eating a little bit of fruit before going to bed it good... Half an apple, a few grapes, etc...

I have heard this as well. I also try to dring at least 8 oz of water before I go to bed. What time do you actually go to bed? I try to make my last meal or snack 2 hours before bed.
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    I'd do the water - I think.

The concept of hunger pains has always interested me. I don't think I've ever felt them (or maybe didn't recognize them).

Don't get me wrong, I've been hungry but never felt any sort of "pain" from it. I believe they are mostly psychological (except in extreme conditions) and, as I've never been fixated on a food regimen or schedule - I don't get them. I've always eaten when the time and food were available.

I'm sorry that you do get them and hope that, as your body adjusts, they go away!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I keep a big glass of water on the stand next to my bed. If I wake up and am hungry I just drink, that usually helps.
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    I like to eat about 30g of cheese before bed, this is a fairly high calorie/fat snack so I only eat it if I have enough left but it because of the protein it keeps me full through the night, I used to wake up with hunger pains and this stopped it!

A mug of warm milk is a good option too.

xx
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How are you consuming your daily 1250 cals? Are you splitting it into small portions and eating them at regular intervals?

Eating small portions often will keep your hunger at bay. I don't know if I believe the - don't eat anything after 6 or 7pm.

Divide your 1250 by 5 = 250 cals per meal.

eat one when u get up. then eat a meal every 2 hours or so. This will keep your metabolism high and keep your hunger at bay. Say your waking day consists of 10 hours and you eat a meal every 2 hours you should find it a lot easier.

Try not to eat anything heavy too close to bedtime (say an hour before you go to bed) - as Lady C said - eat protein b4 bed - this will keep hunger at bay and not be stored as fat.

Then drink a glass of milk or water just before bed should line your stomach or fill it for a portion of your sleep.

Then when u wake - u can eat your 250 cal meal again.

Hope this helps.

:)
  • powdery
    powdery Posts: 1
    Options
    I do the water trick, in my opinion the first week when I'm sorting out what I'm putting into my body is always the hardest while you get used to not feeling full all the time! I used to do all my snacking at night and would often awake feeling hungry in the middle of the night, but having a glass of water helps. If not, then I think maybe some vegetables or fruit is the way to go, as they are low calories and will put enough in your stomach to keep you going until breakfast.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I wake about 3-4 times a week extremely hungry. I listen to my body and eat. Sometimes cereal, yogurt, fruit, granola bar, etc. Just log it into your calorie intake.

If you are waking up that hungry, it is because your body needs fuel and not getting what it needs.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I find 1200 calorie too low for me. I am really hungry at that amount. I would eat more calories and make sure u are eating 5-6 times a day.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Since youa re on week 1 you may find that you need a bit more then 1250 calories...but, since it is your first week your body might also just be mad at you for not feeding it :smile:
    Have a small protein/carb snack before bed - that should help you get through the night .
  • LeanJon
    LeanJon Posts: 3
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal and it will fill me up for about 3 hours.
    1/4 cup Oatmeal
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    few dashes of cinnamon
    Jon