Vegetarians/Vegans

Options
I recently switched to a vegetarian lifestyle; and I mainly did it just to see the outcome (how I felt, any changes in health, health benefits, etc.) Then I got interested in wondering why people decide to do it- and why they stay that way. I have been doing research and I have come to the decision that I might want to go fully vegan! I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who is vegan and if they have any advice or want to share their experiences!

Replies

• Linzbit
    Linzbit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went to vegan a few months ago, with a slight difference, I eat fish and egg whites. I suffer from ms and the diet has been designed to help with the symptoms. I feel so much healthier, and I look healthier too. My skin is glowing!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian many years ago, when I was 10 years old. As expected I had quite childish reasons: I found the idea that my food used to be walking around just like me very disturbing, and I thought it was somehow disrespectful towards the animal if I ate it (I was never religious so I don't know why I thought that - I guess just out of comparison with people).

I'm still vegetarian because I believe that if you can avoid killing, hurting or causing damage, you should. Eating meat isn't necessary for my health and survival, so I won't.

I've tried going completely vegan several times but found it pretty difficult to go without any eggs at all, so I prefer free-range eggs. One day, when I move out of the city and back to the countryside, I'm planning to have some hens in my yard, treat them well and enjoy the eggs they lay. Yeah, apologetic much.
  • morganfox5
    Options
    Thanks! I live in a super small town- so I'm worried I wont have access to enough vegan foods to be able to do it!
  • spreag
    spreag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I became vegetarian just a few weeks ago! and i have been totally veggie (despite a few bits of cod) but I am cutting out the fish totally too!

I became vegetarian for health reasons! i'm not one of these people that believes humans are not supposed to eat meat, I just think people eat too much meat!

Years ago, the majority of your meal would be grains, vegetables and a small portion of meat/fish. These days its more meat/fish with the vegetables as a side or smaller amounts.

There's research that suggests high levels of red meat in peoples diets can lead to heart issues, diabetes, weight gain etc.
    So much meat is processed and beefed up with water that it just isn't appealing!

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner I absolutely love being vegetarian and I am putting it down as the reason for my recent weight loss. I haven't replaced the meat with breads and high carb/fat foods, it has made me more aware of what I eat and has me thinking and planning on how to make my meals as nutritious as possible! I love being vegetarian and i actually feel cleaner on the inside, I know it sounds stupid but I really do its a weird feeling I just feel better for it.

I can honestly say I will not be eating red meat and chicken ever again, as for the odd bit of fish I've had the past few days, my mother had bought lots of fish products and I hate to waste food. I actually think from tomorrow I will cut fish out also (having cod mornay tonight) haha
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I try to live as vegan a lifestyle as possible. I eat a completely vegan (no animal products whatsoever--no gelatin, dairy, eggs, fish, meat, byproducts, carmine, etc) diet, and products I have control over are vegan. (Clothing, cleaners, hygiene products, etc.) I'm a vegan because of the way animals are treated in order to produce dairy and eggs, and I'm a vegetarian because I don't see a reason for an animal to die for me to eat when there are so many other choices available to me. It's pretty easy for me to adhere to because it matters to me as much as it does. If it didn't, it would probably be a lot harder. However, foodwise, now is a great time to be a vegan. 15 years ago, there wasn't such a plentiful array of foods to choose from. Now, you can find all sorts of vegan foods, from healthy to junk to somewhere in between pretty easily. Even if you don't have a grocery nearby that sells them, if you want something badly enough, you can just order it online. Many products are labeled vegan, which helps a lot.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I live in a super small town- so I'm worried I wont have access to enough vegan foods to be able to do it!

PETA has an "accidentally vegan" food list of commonly found foods that are actually vegan. But even in a small town, you can go vegan without any ill effect on your health. Keep in mind that many, many, many foods are actually vegan, including:

Beans and lentils
    Nuts and seeds
    Oatmeals and other grains, including many breads and noodles, rice
    Fruits and veggies

By the way, I probably won't check back into this thread after this morning because so often these threads have people come in just to make jokes or question others. If you have any questions, feel free to PM! :flowerforyou:
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian/pescetarian (I'm a pescetarian when visiting family) for almost a year now. I started one) to feel better and two) because I don't think the meat industry is sustainable and I wanted to decrease my carbon footprint. It's done a good job of keeping me vegetarian.

I was briefly vegan and dropped a bunch of weight, so if that's your motive then..
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is a timely topic for me, too. About a month ago I thought I would give it a shot for health only reasons. I feel plant strong diet is the healthiest way to go.

But my timing was awful because I have had a horrible bout with Sciatica the last month or so and have been trying different medications to help with the pain. Then I was put on prednisone and that completely messed up my eating.

I'm not sure if the out of control bingeing, craving, overeating is from eliminating meats, as a comfort from being in pain for over a month or mental from feeling like I'm making too many restrictions in my diet.

But, hopefully, this will all resolve itself and I'll get back to a more plant based diet again.
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I watched the documentary Forks over Knives and it convinced me to look into a plant-strong diet. I suffer from a mental disorder and several physical issues that can have some symptom relief (I'm not looking for a cure) by cutting out animal products. At age 27, I also have high triglycerides, and I'm hoping for a positive benefit in that area as well.

The animal rights aspect is an issue for me, as well. I have worked in 2 different pet stores for the last 5 1/2 years. I have owned hermit crabs and rats, and still own fish and a cat, none of which I would ever think about eating. My shifts are spent teaching people how to take care of their animals to the best of their abilities. Unfortunately, around 10% is spent trying to explain to individuals why they shouldn't cram a fish that gets huge into a tiny tank, or put a guinea pig or rat in a small cage, etc, and having way too many people argue with me or try to 'bargain' with me in adding more fish/getting a smaller cage. If I fight so hard to get these animals into an environment where they can thrive (yes, I will even go to bat for the 13 cent 'feeder fish', as they don't deserve to be in a bowl either), why would I turn around and tuck into a lovely piece of meat for dinner? It is a strange dichotomy, in my mind.
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've gone back and forth between vegetarian, vegan, and the "occasional meat eater" on holidays, but only when it fits my standards. I'm lucky to live in a place where all our local meat is organic by law.

My biggest reasoning is the freaky things in meat, like growth hormones and antibiotics. I truly believe there is a huge connection between mass produced meat and Alzheimers.

I've tried being vegan, but I do enjoy eggs and find it difficult to cut out. Dairy on the other hand, I can do without. :)

That's it, that's my reasoning.

P.S. I have an amazing recipe for something called Spicy Peanut Lime Cilantro Soup, totally great vegan recipe. Inbox me if you're interested!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your reason?
  • lisa9803
    Options
    I recently went pescetarian (the only meat I eat is fish/shellfish). I actually started off wanting to go vegan - I watched this documentary called "Vegucated" and I cannot touch chicken. beef, or pork again. However, I'm allergic to nuts and coconuts, so there are quite a few protein options that I cannot use. I started to get a bit shaky and tired, so I ended up going back to fish to get the protein that I need. I still don't eat eggs, and I quit dairy products as well. I'm happy to say that I no longer suffer frequent migraines and break outs like I did when I was drinking milk!

Good luck with everything! I hope it works out for you. I must say that since I switched, I feel better than I have in years.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I went to vegan a few months ago, with a slight difference, I eat fish and egg whites. I suffer from ms and the diet has been designed to help with the symptoms. I feel so much healthier, and I look healthier too. My skin is glowing!

If you eat fish and egg whites you are *not* vegan, or even vegetarian. You are welcome to adopt whatever style of eating works for you and your heatlh, but please don't confuse people by telling them that you are vegan if you consume animal products (eggs) and animal flesh (fish). There is enough confusion out there about what it means to be vegetarian or vegan without people spreading misinformation.

For the OP: I am a vegetarian (no animal flesh of any kind) and my diet is 99.9% vegan. For me this is an ethical issue. I don't like the idea of turning animals into commodities, which is what happens on farms, because even loving, well intentioned farmers have to make a living. The production of animal foods is also exceptionally hard on the environment. My husband is currently trying a vegan diet to see if it will improve some long-standing health issues for him (chronic congestion, and skin problems), so far, it is going well for him, so we may be on our way to a close to vegan household (well, except for the cats).

Edited to fix a grammatical issue.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I recently went pescetarian (the only meat I eat is fish/shellfish). I actually started off wanting to go vegan - I watched this documentary called "Vegucated" and I cannot touch chicken. beef, or pork again. However, I'm allergic to nuts and coconuts, so there are quite a few protein options that I cannot use. I started to get a bit shaky and tired, so I ended up going back to fish to get the protein that I need. I still don't eat eggs, and I quit dairy products as well. I'm happy to say that I no longer suffer frequent migraines and break outs like I did when I was drinking milk!

Good luck with everything! I hope it works out for you. I must say that since I switched, I feel better than I have in years.

Couldn't you get protein from soy and other legumes, as well as from products like seitan (which is made from wheat gluten)? Also, this may or may not be the case for you, but some people with nut allergies can tolerate seeds well. Honestly, nuts are so full of fat that I don't use them as a primary source of protein.
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm "nearly vegan" for health reasons for a little more than a year. Truth is, I'm not, but it's easier to explain my eating habits to others. I'm lactose intolerant, which makes is very easy to cut out dairy. I'd really rather not eat meat or fish. I do eat sushi sometimes though, and a bite of meat here and there, which reminds me that I would rather not eat it because it tastes slimy and/or salty to me now. I don't get hung up on my "transgressions", because I'm doing this for me and not to fit into label. Most Vegans/vegetarians have been been very accepting of that.

Once you're used to eating vegan, you'll be surprised how much there is out there to eat. I will say, it is incredibly easy to be a junk food vegan. French fries and oreos...vegan. I don't live in a super small town, but once every 3-4 weeks I drive out to the "big" grocery store to get some of the hard to find stuff that I don't have locally. Hopefully you're not too too far from a store like that.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating beef for awhile while I was younger, but ive debated for years to become vegetarian, but i watched Vehucated and that finally did it for me, i wanted to become full vegan, but it was too hard so instead i settled for becoming vegetarian, and limiting my dairy and egg intake, i dont eat much eggs, and i drink almond milk instead of cows milk
  • cyndilynn13
    cyndilynn13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian - and have been for many years - nearing 20. The first advantage was weight loss and feeling healthier. Since then, I've become a lazy vegetarian - I love the comments about the oreos! For me, it's been cheese/dairy, increased carbs, and a more sedentary lifestyle as I've aged as a reason for the weight gain.

I'm not on any soap box about why I don't eat meat, but I wanted to encourage you to give it a try and see how it goes for you and your body. Be sure to watch your iron - I find that I don't always get the amount I needed daily. I think needing supplements on a veg diet is a myth - when I first started I was always warned about not getting enough protein, etc. Society has changed alot since then, and it's much easier to eat out, and find quick foods then it ever was!

I say go for it - and I wish you much continued success!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am nearly vegan, both for health and ethical reasons. I have been so since March of 2012, and I credit my diet change with almost every bit of my 115 pound weight loss. I do not eat meat at all, and no other animal products normally. I will every once in a while if we go out to eat get something that has cheese, but this is very rare.

It has really made a huge difference in my life. I love the food that I am eating, and I do not miss the meat or cheese at all. I was vegetarian for about 3 years many years ago, and I always said I could never give up cheese. But when I decided to do it, it really was not that big of an issue for me. I have actually now found a vegan cheese that I really like, so I will use it every once in a while when I need something gooey to hold food together, like if I decide to make veggie quesadillas.

I watched Forks Over Knives in March, and that was was finally convinced me to make the switch. Since then I have done a ton of reading and talked to my doctors, and I truly believe it is a healthy thing to do. I know others opinions vary, but it has certainly done great things for me.

When I started, I weighed well over 300 pounds, and was dragging myself through every day. Within 2 weeks of making the switch, my energy levels went through the roof, despite the fact that I was still very overweight. My lab work is outstanding, my relflux has gone away, and my skin is the best it has ever been..

If it is something that you are interested in, it is worth a try.
  • lisa9803
    Options

Couldn't you get protein from soy and other legumes, as well as from products like seitan (which is made from wheat gluten)? Also, this may or may not be the case for you, but some people with nut allergies can tolerate seeds well. Honestly, nuts are so full of fat that I don't use them as a primary source of protein.

I do drink soy milk here and there, but I find that if I drink too much, my stomach doesn't really agree with it, and I cannot stand the taste of rice milk! I've never tried seitan (I'll have to look into that one), but I find that seeds such as sesame, sunflower, etc. still give me a reaction, although not as bad as nuts. I've tried those "fake meats" like Tofurkey and Tempeh and I find them utterly disgusting....couldn't stomach them. I just find that I can't physically consume enough legumes and soy in one day to get enough protein without ending up in the bathroom the whole time.

With that being said, I don't eat fish everyday.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know...I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've tried living the "vegan" lifestyle when I first started attempting to drop kick into oblivion my excess fat and flab last year...like my Shero Deb, within two weeks or less I saw and felt a dramatic difference. Then I added fish (wild caught and poll & troll only ) into the mix--fantastic! Then I went back to my old lifestyle of meats, dairy, processed foods and within 6 months regained all of pounds and most of the inches I lost--not to mention my energy drain made me feel like I was dead while I was yet living.

I started "The Daniel Fast" last Friday...it's 21 days of eating and drinking only veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and grains and drinking water only--it's pretty much I think it's a "vegan" diet and WOW! in just a few days, my energy is pumping up big time, my sleep is so much better and more.

I however never want to label myself (for some reason). So after the 21 day fast, if I shall continue in this way of eating and drinking--I never want to put myself in a box with labels.

I'm doing this fast (eating and drinking) primarily for spiritual reasons and so far, so good!