Hungry like a wolf!

Options
Does anyone else just stay hungry all the time? It makes no difference what I eat or how much I eat of it. The longer I go without eating, the longer I can go with out eating. But once I take a single bite of anything, it's like falling down a hole! I just can't stop being hungry. I try to resist eating in excess as much as I can, but sometimes I could just chew the leg off the dining room table. I admit that I have been known to eat large quantities of low calorie food for this reason. It is not unusual for me to eat an entire bag of frozen broccoli or cauliflower in a sitting, or several carrots in an effort to at least prevent weight gain. Protien has no effect on this. Neither does water. Advice? :sad:

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    just be really strong for a few weeks and work on portion control. The first few weeks are the hardest until you can re-calibrate your body for the appropriate portions. If you are eating large portions of things (water, lettuce, etc) to try to fill it up, you aren't allowing your stomach to shrink down to be satisfied with "right sized" portions.
  • SoontirFel
    SoontirFel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for a Duran Duran thread.... :grumble:
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    hot sauce works for me
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for a Duran Duran thread.... :grumble:

HAHA , me too
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    just be really strong for a few weeks and work on portion control. The first few weeks are the hardest until you can re-calibrate your body for the appropriate portions. If you are eating large portions of things (water, lettuce, etc) to try to fill it up, you aren't allowing your stomach to shrink down to be satisfied with "right sized" portions.

This... When I started eating normal portions it was really hard. I thought about food all the time. Rather than quitting, it might be easier if you only cut back a little instead of as much as you want to for weight loss. Maybe start with maintenance for a week... give you body time to adjust.

Also... Are you sure you're hungry? Not just bored? Make sure you eat a balanced meal, many small meals helps too if you get hungry a lot. Don't restrict your diet too much. Carbs and Protein in every meal.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I agree, you just have to tough it out for the first couple of weeks using correct portions. I too was a bit hungry the first week but now I just completed week two. I have started using salad plates instead of dinner plates, and I find that I am truly satisfied with ONE serving. I drink a glass of ice water before a meal then slowly eat my meal taking sips in between then drink a glass of water or hot tea after. I also go to bed a little hungry, that's OK! I know it's just my body/stomach shrinking back from all the years of over indulging. Increase your fiber intake. Eat some 9 grain bread, fresh fruits, use quinoa to help add some filling to what you're eating. Good luck!
  • SweetToothVII
    Options
    The exact same thing happens with me. I'm hungry when I start eating. I can go however long without eating, and I won't feel hungry. But the moment I start eating, it's like I can't get enough.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've been going through this too recently. I've found that I'm particularly prone to eating when I'm sitting around for long periods of time. If I can keep moving or at least keep my hands busy, it takes my mind off eating for a bit.

Aside from that, you're just going to have to ease yourself down. There's no rule that says you have to make an immediate dramatic decrease in your intake overnight. Just keep making smart decisions and gradually reducing your total calories; your body will adjust accordingly. Good luck!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been a huge problem for years now. I actually joined here in hopes of getting some answers and support. I never had this going on until I quit smoking about 6 years ago. Ever since I have been insatiably hungry! After reading some of these posts I think that maybe when I quit smoking and started eating everything sight, maybe I allowed that to become a habit? I always weigh my portions but I guess if I am going to eat my weight in celery sticks it's really just turned into recording my eating instead of actualy controlling it. BLEGH!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? You may be set too low. According to your ticker, you only need to lose 30 pounds, so you should not be set to lose 2 pounds per week. Set it to 1 pound if it is not already and see if that gives you more calories. And, eat your exercise calories back.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I definitely do this!

I have found that for some reason, fruit keeps me fullest for the longest. So I try to make a big bowl of mixed fresh fruit on Sun/Mon for the week, or keep clementines and strawberries at work. If I eat some right after lunch, I stay full until dinner and I find that I don't get my 3PM "sweets" craving.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Also, understand that hormones play a big part in feeling hungry, and the mechanism that says you are full. If your hormones are imbalanced, that could be the reason. Eating too much, or too little, can affect these hormones.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been a huge problem for years now. I actually joined here in hopes of getting some answers and support. I never had this going on until I quit smoking about 6 years ago. Ever since I have been insatiably hungry! After reading some of these posts I think that maybe when I quit smoking and started eating everything sight, maybe I allowed that to become a habit? I always weigh my portions but I guess if I am going to eat my weight in celery sticks it's really just turned into recording my eating instead of actualy controlling it. BLEGH!

Recording it is the first step though!! Great job! Just dial it down slowly.