Avocado help

Options
How can you tell if an avocado is ripe. I bought some from the store, and they are hard as anything.

Please help!

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    they are ripe when they are soft.

you can make avacado fries if you want to use them when they are hard.. frying them will soften them.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Leave them on the counter until they start to get soft. If you have more than you can eat in one day, put the extra avocados in the fridge as soon as they start to soften. If they haven't been cut, they will last in the fridge for a week or two.
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Brown paper bag on the counter top for a day or two. They will ripen up real quick. You want soft to the touch but not squishy. There is also a trick where you pop the stem off and look at the color underneath. Google it for picture examples.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    avocado-ripe.jpg
  • Fienix2013
    Options
    Avocados are ripe when they give just a little. It will feel like the meaty part of your palm, right below your thumb. : )
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    If your avocado is too hard; place with apples in a bowl; apples will help to ripen it faster (well I know this works with other fruit/tomatoes; it should also work with avocados).

You want the avocado to be soft but not squishy
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    But this is the reality

ripeness.jpg
  • sally414
    Options
    Peel off the little nub at the top of the avocado. If underneath is green, it is just ripe and will last a few days. If it is very brown, is probably over ripe.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Avocado...Fries? <perks up ears>
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    When it stops saying I love you before you eat it, it might be time to toss it away! Avocado is my girlfriend and boyfriend!
  • invincible_summer
    Options
    Leave it on a radiator for a day or two. Ripens really quickly.