breastfeeding, what should i log it as?

Options
I breastfeed exclusively, and I have seen a few ladies log theirs under snacks and it just subtracts from there and others log it as exercise. What/where is the best place to log it??

Replies

• badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you should log it as anything~I think that you should include about 400 calories in your Daily Calorie Goal. I've read that breastfeeding women should not go below 1800 calories per day while dieting. What is your Daily Calorie Goal right now?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I think you should just increase your calorie intake goal. They say breastfeeding burns about 500/calories a day. After I have my baby, I'm going to just reduce my calories by about 10%. I'm eating enough to sustain me and baby, but I want to finish losing weight after she is here, but I still have to compensate for breastfeeding. I am not going to count it as an exercise.
  • allisonj87
    allisonj87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you should log it as anything~I think that you should include about 400 calories in your Daily Calorie Goal. I've read that breastfeeding women should not go below 1800 calories per day while dieting. What is your Daily Calorie Goal right now?

I have my goals set at 1/2 lb loss per week and my cals at around 1600. I have been logging it as cardio at -350 cals(I don't want to overestimate).
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Have you been losing about a 1/2 pond per week? If you are, then whatever you are doing is just fine then.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    it's not exercise, it doesn't do anything for your muscles, it's just a metabolism boost because your body needs more energy to make milk. I'm in agreement with the others eat more calories to keep your supply up for the wee one and to stay healthy, but don't count it as anything.