Eating late at night? Y/N? Why?

Options

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Time of day has nothing to do with it. If you have calories left, eat if you're hungry.

I completely disagree with this statement. Every person's body composition is different, and the way our bodies breakdown calories is different. Also, depending on WHAT you eat before going to bed (and how often you do it) can be problematic.

You can disagree, but medical conditions aside we are all very similar in the biological processes that happen. We all gain weight from energy surpluses and we all need a deficit to lose weight because thermodynamics.

We certainly have different preferences so in that regard you might feel a certain way about when you eat, but simply put: you don't gain weight from eating at a specific time if you're eating in a calorie deficit.

So I guess "slow metabolisms" are a myth. Gotcha.
    What does this have to do with eating at night? Yes we have different total energy requirements but this has absolutely nothing to do with nutrient timing.

My comment regarding metabolism was in response to your comment regarding "we are all VERY (emphasis added) similar in the biological process...."

There are many variables as to why certain things work for some people, but are detrimental to others. If our bodies worked exactly alike, then we'd all look alike if we all did the same exact things (i.e., nutrition and exercise).

If the OP eats at night and is still losing weight, then great for the OP (or anyone else this works for). This, however, does not work for me, no matter how many deficit calories I may have for that particular day. I ALWAYS see a gain the morning, no matter what I eat, if I eat late at night.

So, I maintain my disagreement to the sweeping statement that "Time of day has nothing to do with it. If you have calories left, eat if you're hungry." This DOES NOT work for SOME people.

Judgmental much?

You are so mad...take a deep breath and step away from the computer...just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are being judgemental
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    meal timing and frequency of meals don't matter, just look at your overall calories for the day or week
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Time of day has nothing to do with it. If you have calories left, eat if you're hungry.

I completely disagree with this statement. Every person's body composition is different, and the way our bodies breakdown calories is different. Also, depending on WHAT you eat before going to bed (and how often you do it) can be problematic.

You can disagree, but medical conditions aside we are all very similar in the biological processes that happen. We all gain weight from energy surpluses and we all need a deficit to lose weight because thermodynamics.

We certainly have different preferences so in that regard you might feel a certain way about when you eat, but simply put: you don't gain weight from eating at a specific time if you're eating in a calorie deficit.

What does this have to do with eating at night? Yes we have different total energy requirements but this has absolutely nothing to do with nutrient timing.

My comment regarding metabolism was in response to your comment regarding "we are all VERY (emphasis added) similar in the biological process...."

There are many variables as to why certain things work for some people, but are detrimental to others. If our bodies worked exactly alike then, we'd all look alike if we all did the same exact things.

If the OP eats at night and is still losing weight, that great for the OP (or anyone else this works for). This, however, does not work for me, no matter how many deficit calories I may have for that particular day. I ALWAYS see a gain the morning, no matter what I eat, if I eat late at night.

So, I maintain my disagreement to the sweeping statement that "Time of day has nothing to do with it. If you have calories left, eat if you're hungry." This DOES NOT work for SOME people.

Judgmental much?

Why do you assume I'm judging you? I'm disagreeing with you and it isn't personal.
    If you gain weight and it is not fluid or internal contents, you are not in a deficit. It is not possible because you cannot manufacture matter out of nothing unless you are a wizard.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Actually, it depends on the fantasy world. Both in the Harry Potter series and in the Sword of Truth series, even wizards can not manufacture something out of nothing. :flowerforyou:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry..I eat. End of.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

i'm not trying to be snarky, but i think you're misunderstanding what "metabolism" truly means. when you breathe, you burn calories. when you keep a constant body temperature, you burn calories. there are hundreds of other chemical and biological processes (i.e. metabolic processes) going on inside your body whether you are awake or asleep, that all require energy, which is the burning of calories. these include the processes related to digestion. you spend roughly 1/3rd of your life sleeping. you burn roughly 1/3rd of your daily energy expenditure while you are sleeping. unless you believe that you stop breathing while you are asleep and that your body temperature drops to room temperature while you sleep and that all of those other constant metabolic processes come to a screeching halt while you sleep, then there's no way you can disagree with the statement you disagreed with.

wait so you think you burn exactly the same amount of calories sleeping as you do going about your day?

Regardless of how much you burn at night vs day, it still will not effect 24 hour fat balance (oxidation vs storage).
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to eat anything today other than a protein shake until I get home, at which point I'm going to house nearly 1800 calories worth of salsa chicken and veggies. Then I'm going to try yet another dessert cottage cheese recipe, which'll bring me to about 2k calories on the day. I'm going to do this all week...and I'm going to lose weight.

Why not test it on yourself? Have your diet one way for a month, and then the following month invert it (i.e. eat what you had on this day for dinner but have it at breakfast, if you do snacks have the afternoon ones in the morning and the morning ones in the afternoon, etc) and see what happens. Some people are more likely to eat more during certain times, but that doesn't mean they gain more weight at those times if they eat, just that they have a tendency to consume more calories (which could result in weight gain, but that has nothing to do with timing).
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at all before I go to bed because my body completely shuts down when I sleep. I mean it. It goes into a metabolic coma, I burn no calories, and I wake up much heavier every day. That's why I don't weigh myself in the morning; I gain a tremendous amount of weight the night before because my body did absolutely no burning of fat or calories. It was completely shut down.
    lol
    Unless you die every night, I can assure you this does not happen.
    Perhaps I do. La petite mort.
    La petite mort? If that happens while you're sleeping then you're a very lucky girl indeed!
    Or not. I'd MUCH rather be awake when that happens.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I eat every night before I go to bed, usually it's at 11pm. I plan it out and enter the calories well in advance even.

Otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night hungry, so not eating right before bed disrupts my sleep with hunger pangs.

Pretty sure I'm not gaining weight because of this.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

i'm not trying to be snarky, but i think you're misunderstanding what "metabolism" truly means. when you breathe, you burn calories. when you keep a constant body temperature, you burn calories. there are hundreds of other chemical and biological processes (i.e. metabolic processes) going on inside your body whether you are awake or asleep, that all require energy, which is the burning of calories. these include the processes related to digestion. you spend roughly 1/3rd of your life sleeping. you burn roughly 1/3rd of your daily energy expenditure while you are sleeping. unless you believe that you stop breathing while you are asleep and that your body temperature drops to room temperature while you sleep and that all of those other constant metabolic processes come to a screeching halt while you sleep, then there's no way you can disagree with the statement you disagreed with.

wait so you think you burn exactly the same amount of calories sleeping as you do going about your day?

Regardless of how much you burn at night vs day, it still will not effect 24 hour fat balance (oxidation vs storage).

i agree, it all comes out in the wash.

however the OP wanted to know if it was ok to eat at night. some of the responses were that one shouldn't because metabolism slows way down while asleep.

i'm just trying to debunk that with some common sense.

the reality is that if you looked at every hour of the day (whether awake or asleep), your calorie burn would be slightly different each hour depending on what you were doing and which metabolic processes were taking place or precedence in your body. i can accept that during sleep, when fully at rest, some of those processes will be affected. i just don't think they are affected in any substantial way that warrants the omnipresent warnings about not eating 3 hours before you sleep.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I work and sleep all kinds of crazy hours so I eat when I am hungry. Believe me, if I work from 11 am til 8 pm...which is my schedule next week...I am going to eat when I get home as I usually get no break to eat at work. If I go to work at 10 pm, I will eat before I go (around 8 or 9 pm).
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

There are many variables as to why certain things work for some people, but are detrimental to others. If our bodies worked exactly alike, then we'd all look alike if we all did the same exact things (i.e., nutrition and exercise).

If the OP eats at night and is still losing weight, then great for the OP (or anyone else this works for). This, however, does not work for me, no matter how many deficit calories I may have for that particular day. I ALWAYS see a gain the morning, no matter what I eat, if I eat late at night.

Judgmental much?

You are so mad...take a deep breath and step away from the computer...just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are being judgemental

I assure you that I am not mad. I have a sarcastic sense of humor, but I don't expect any of you to know that.

SideSteel raises some good points. But, my point is that for WHATEVER the reason (I don't really give a damn what it is), eating late at night simply doesn't work for me. It doesn't matter what I eat. I don't give a damn about whatever people say is impossible, blah-blah-blah....I know what the *bleeping* scale says the next morning.

*drops the mic and walks off stage*
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at all before I go to bed because my body completely shuts down when I sleep. I mean it. It goes into a metabolic coma, I burn no calories, and I wake up much heavier every day. That's why I don't weigh myself in the morning; I gain a tremendous amount of weight the night before because my body did absolutely no burning of fat or calories. It was completely shut down.
    lol
    Unless you die every night, I can assure you this does not happen.
    Perhaps I do. La petite mort.
    La petite mort? If that happens while you're sleeping then you're a very lucky girl indeed!
    Or not. I'd MUCH rather be awake when that happens.

But does it burn extra calories? That is the question.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Judgmental much?

I assure you that I am not mad. I have a sarcastic sense of humor, but I don't expect any of you to know that.

SideSteel raises some good points. But, my point is that for WHATEVER the reason (I don't really give a damn what it is), eating late at night simply doesn't work for me. It doesn't matter what I eat. I don't give a damn about whatever people say is impossible, blah-blah-blah....I know what the *bleeping* scale says the next morning.

*drops the mic and walks off stage*

I don't doubt that if you eat late at night and step on the scale, you are heavier. That's logical.

I am only claiming that given equal calorie intakes, there will be no difference as far as fat gain or loss. And I'm persistent about this because people need dieting to be as easy as possible for adherence purposes. Arbitrary rules about having a cut off time are simply not necessary from a fat perspective.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Iwas lead to believe you should try and have your last meal 3 hours before going to sleep as you dont burn off the calories and your body will store the fat. im not sure how true this is but i use this method. try eating more earlier in the evening then you
    should avoid getting hunger pangs later on

Not true at all - you are sleeping, not dead...Your metabolism does not stop working while you sleep - otherwise you will die....
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

There are many variables as to why certain things work for some people, but are detrimental to others. If our bodies worked exactly alike then, we'd all look alike if we all did the same exact things.

If the OP eats at night and is still losing weight, that great for the OP (or anyone else this works for). This, however, does not work for me, no matter how many deficit calories I may have for that particular day. I ALWAYS see a gain the morning, no matter what I eat, if I eat late at night.

Judgmental much?

Why do you assume I'm judging you? I'm disagreeing with you and it isn't personal.
    If you gain weight and it is not fluid or internal contents, you are not in a deficit. It is not possible because you cannot manufacture matter out of nothing unless you are a wizard.

Actually, it depends on the fantasy world. Both in the Harry Potter series and in the Sword of Truth series, even wizards can not manufacture something out of nothing. :flowerforyou:

...Food is the first exception to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfigurations...
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SideSteel we are GOOD! I totally respect your approach in trying to educate. I'm just coming from the perspective that certain things just don't work for ME (and I'm not alone).

I may not know the "science" behind certain things (nor do I really care to, if I'm going to be completely honest), but I do know that there are a lot of variables that may work for someone who is in their 20s but may not work for someone who is almost 50.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

no, you probably burn at a slightly lower rate because your body is at rest while you are asleep and some of your metabolic processes will be affected due to that rest state, but i don't think it would be a significant decrease from your waking hours. keep in mind i'm not talking about energy expended from movement while awake vs. asleep (such as arm or leg movement and things like that). i'm talking about things such as respiration, brain activity, etc. probably alot of processes such as these are affected in a minor way that could be measured and could be added together to see a change in overall energy expenditure rate that is lower by a number on the order 10% or so.

i would expect something like that to be plausible. but when you run the numbers for most people, we're probably talking 10-20 calories per hour. that's my guess.

however, if you believe that it's much higher than that and have something other than broscience to support your belief, feel free to enlighten me.

it's so funny because i'm the furthest thing from a bro. i'm a musical theatre actor in NYC who doesn't even go to a gym. lol

anyway, here we go:

First of all, you're generally right and people do tend to burn about 100-160 fewer calories during a nights' sleep than if they were awake. This isn't a drastic difference, but it's not completely insignificant either.

However, eating a big meal before bed - while it may not DIRECTLY influence weight loss (up for debate) it CAN drastically affect your sleep patterns, and ability to sleep through the night. (if you want me to show you a study to support this i can... but i think this is pretty well accepted)

the interesting thing is that there are a plethora of studies showing that poor sleep results in weight gain: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=746184
    The amount of human sleep contributes to the maintenance of fat-free body mass at times of decreased energy intake. Lack of sufficient sleep may compromise the efficacy of typical dietary interventions for weight loss and related metabolic risk reduction.

In that study, the group of folks who slept 5.5 hours lost 55% LESS weight than the people who slept for 8.5 over the course of the trial.

If eating large meals before bed can interrupt sleep, they can also indirectly slow your weight loss.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    But if you're STARVING, then I suggest having some sort of protein, or a piece of fruit. Stay away from starches and foods that are high in fat and sodium.

I wouldn't eat protein before bed. It won't do you any favors when you're trying to fall asleep. Same goes for many fruits. I'm speaking strictly from a "I want to be able to fall asleep tonight" perspective.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Judgmental much?

...Food is the first exception to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfigurations...

This is true. Valid point. :smile: