I find it hard to eat 1300+ ?

Options
Ok, so i know you have to eat over 1200 etc and work out your bmr (with a 500 deficient its about 1750) but I struggle to eat enough calories. For example for breakfast I will eat 200-400, for lunch 300ish and dinner maybe 400 or something, so even the days where I eat a lot I eat around 1100, usually around the 1000 band most of the time. I know this is really unhealthy, I know I need to eat more, but as I have an injury , meaning I have stopped exercising but I will be able to mid week, I have been eating less because I am not hungry for burning food off. I really dont like snacking I'm more of a three meal girl, is it essential for my to up my calories?

*Bare in mind this is on my good days, I obviously go to restaurants/out/eat more a good few days in the week , but on my healthier days I struggle!

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    is it essential for me to up my calories?

Eating with a huge deficit can have you see results quickly, but you may not end up with the body you want (extra skin, high BF%, pudgy stomach, etc), also eventually your body is going to adapt to the amount of food your eating, and at that point you really can't drop your calories.. giving you a nice plateau.

Trying eating foods that are higher in calories, cut out all the no fat, low fat foods.. Eat larger portions of your meals, even though your not hungry doesn't mean you don't need the nutrition. You can suppress your hunger and change your full feeling, but you shouldn't expect that to tell you if your body is getting the fuel it needs.

So ya, you may need to eat more.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter + spoon. 1tbsp of peanut butter is like 100 calories right there. If you need to get 300 more calories in, it's not very hard to eat 3tbsp of peanut butter to get you there.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Or add things like nuts or hamp seeds etc, to your meals, adds calories quickly. I also sometimes just throw in a protein bar if I'm not gonna make my requirements.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter + spoon. 1tbsp of peanut butter is like 100 calories right there. If you need to get 300 more calories in, it's not very hard to eat 3tbsp of peanut butter to get you there.

This or drink some milk with your meals as well
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods like raw nuts, peanut/almond butter, avacado, olive oil, etc... You only need a little bit of these kind of foods to give your daily menu a significant calorie boost (i.e. 1 Tbsp of Bertoli Extra Virgin Olive Oil has 120 calories). Bonus, these are foods that are loaded with "good", heart healthy fats that your body needs to function efficiently. Also, nuts and nut butters are loaded with protein.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm having this exact same issue, it's been somewhat of a struggle for me to eat 1600 calories a day because I'm so used to eating less. Like another poster said, peanutbutter is great for adding calories and good fats, I eat a few tablespoons on toast or in my oatmeal in the mornings. Protein shakes are also great for days when you workout and need to add some calories back in.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    all these are great options.

it's about finding calorie and nutrient dense foods. that's the best way to bump up your intake.

Nut Butters
    Avocados
    Olive Oil
    Coconut Oil
    Seeds
    Nuts

all good options.
  • sunnsand201
    sunnsand201 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great topic as I rarely eat my 1200 calories per day. I am just not hungry and don't feel deprived of food at all. I would love the input as well that any of you can provide. (I workout 20-40 minutes per day at a moderate intensity level.)
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey I was in your same shoes. I was one of those people that would eat once or twice a day. Eat frequently throughout the day. You should be eating every 2-3 hours. This not only helps keep your cals up but it also helps boost metabolism!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As others have stated...look for sources that are both nutrient dense and calorie dense.

nuts
    nut butters
    avocado
    olive oil (I cook pretty much everything with olive oil these days)

Also, if you're doing a lot of non-fat dair...switch to 1% or 2%
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey I was in your same shoes. I was one of those people that would eat once or twice a day. Eat frequently throughout the day. You should be eating every 2-3 hours. This not only helps keep your cals up but it also helps boost metabolism!

Not true.

You don't have to eat at certain times during the day, and you don't have to eat multiple meals. If it works for you, great, but you don't have to do it to boost metabolism. Three 500 calorie meals works the same as six 250 calorie meals.
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Not true.

You don't have to eat at certain times during the day, and you don't have to eat multiple meals. If it works for you, great, but you don't have to do it to boost metabolism. Three 500 calorie meals works the same as six 250 calorie meals.

Actually it does because when you eat your metabolism accelerates to process the food. After long periods of time without eating (typically 3 hours or more) your metabolism slows down. SO, if you eat every 2-3 hours your metabolism will always be in the accelerated state.

Now, lets hear your reasoning on why this isn't scientifically true.
  • purplegoboom
    Options

Not true.

Actually it does because when you eat your metabolism accelerates to process the food. After long periods of time without eating (typically 3 hours or more) your metabolism slows down. SO, if you eat every 2-3 hours your metabolism will always be in the accelerated state.

Are you going to show me any scientfiic evidence to prove it? It's been debunked enough on the forums, just do a search.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Not true.

Are you going to show me any scientfiic evidence to prove it? It's been debunked enough on the forums, just do a search.

opinions. people have them. that's ok.

if eating every two or three hours helps you reach your macros for the day, then that's great! if eating once a day is how you reach your macros, then good for you.

doesn't mean one or the other is WRONG.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    How in the world did people get overweight in the first place when the "just can't" eat enough to lose weight safely?