Pita Bread - low carb

Options
So, I have found that I absolutely LOVE pita bread. In particular, there is a kind at Walmart that I always get. It's called Joseph's Pita Bread. It has 8 carbs, 4 of which are fiber. It has tons of vitamins in it. I have insulin resistance and am on a low carb diet. Im staying below 25 carbs a day. Has anyone ever had success with a low carb diet whike eating this? I will only eat one slice a day.

Replies

• beesknees47
    beesknees47 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on Joseph's Pita Bread! I'll try it - my whole wheat toast this am, 13 carbs!! Keep up the positive vibes and have a successful week! Bees
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I use the big square lavash from Joseph's bakery and I eat it every day. I don't do low carb, but I've successfully lost weight while eating this.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I had the low carb Pita from Joseph's exactly once, and then my stupid Wal-Mart quit carrying it. I keep looking, but haven't found it again. I hate Wal-Mart. They do that all the time.
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about Walmart....it is SO frustrating that the stores here are not consistent in what products they carry. I love both the St Joseph's Lavash bread and their pitas! So nice to find something that is not only low-cal, but low-carbs! :) When I do see the lavash bread at Walmart, I buy about 6 of them since I never know when I'll see them again! (I'm sure I get a look from the checkout gal when she rings me up). It seems easier to find the pita bread though. Both definitely beat out Flatgirl Flatouts for carbs per calorie and I think the flavor is better too.

P.S. it also works to cut the pita bread in 4s and then toast them in the toaster to make them crunchy like crackers. Or I will fold them in half and toast them too.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low carb but, I have started eating pita bread. I took diced grilled chicken, baby spinach, red onion and dijon mustard and stuffed that in the pitas. Delicious.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I've looked at all the surrounding Wal-marts, and haven't found it. I might write a request to the manager and see if they can start ordering them again. Of course, I made several request to Sam's Club to start carrying a certain type of Atkins Bar, but they ignored me. I gave up.

In related news....I found a low-carb tortilla from La Tortilla Factory that is pretty decent. 3 net carbs. They seem to go like hot cakes at the grocery store, especially when they're on sale. So, I tend to buy 2 or 3 packages at a time.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you are low carbin and eating it doesn't make you go over, then you will probably have success
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I don't know if any of you live near a Giant grocery store, but that's where get them. I live in MD if that's any help. For the holidays I went to CT and I was able to find it at the Big Y grocery store. Drop me in any city and I WILL find my healthy foods! Lol I don't care if it's Christmas give me my healthy noms.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I don't know if any of you live near a Giant grocery store, but that's where get them. I live in MD if that's any help. For the holidays I went to CT and I was able to find it at the Big Y grocery store. Drop me in any city and I WILL find my healthy foods! Lol I don't care if it's Christmas give me my healthy noms.

LOL! No, I'm in Colorado. We don't have those stores.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

LOL! No, I'm in Colorado. We don't have those stores.
    I'm not familiar with the large chain grocery stores in Colorado, but check those stores.