veggie recipe ideas

Options
toffee2013
toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
It appears I need more veg in my diet but I'm stuck with what to do with them . Ideas please ?

Replies

• dlmowrey
    Options
    I find the best way for me to get in veggies is with salsa. I make my own with fresh vegetables, and I couple it with whole grain tostidas. I find it very filling.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies, so I'm really picky about vegetable dishes. However, I find the following ok:

- vegetarian chili (tons of recipes flying around, pick one that appeals to you)
    - cauliflower pizza crust (I'm actually ok with just the crust xD)
    - mushroom burgers
    - salad with mixed greens
    - v8 fusion lol
    - zucchini tots
  • katies2boys
    katies2boys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies, so I'm really picky about vegetable dishes. However, I find the following ok:

- vegetarian chili (tons of recipes flying around, pick one that appeals to you)
    - cauliflower pizza crust (I'm actually ok with just the crust xD)
    - mushroom burgers
    - salad with mixed greens
    - v8 fusion lol
    - zucchini tots

Ooh, zucchini tots sound yummy.

I recently bought some balsamic vinegar and was looking for something to do with it. I ended up cutting up a bunch of veggies (zucchini, onion, mini bell peppers, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes) and marinating them with lemon juice, balsamic and a touch of olive oil. I sauteed them, then added a bit of feta and they made delicious wraps!
  • toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    yum that sound tasty .
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I recently bought some balsamic vinegar and was looking for something to do with it. I ended up cutting up a bunch of veggies (zucchini, onion, mini bell peppers, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes) and marinating them with lemon juice, balsamic and a touch of olive oil. I sauteed them, then added a bit of feta and they made delicious wraps!
    [/quote

Wow this sounds great. Over on my calories already so need to eat really low calorie tonight when I get up.
  • katies2boys
    Options
    It really is very tasty. On days when you have the extra calories, a couple slices of avocado just make it even better! I actually used the leftovers for lunch the next day with no wrap...super low calorie and still delicious.
  • cheflinda
    cheflinda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almost all veggies taste better when roasted. Toss cut up veg of choice with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and spread out on cookie sheet in single layer. Roast at 425 degrees about 15-20 until done, flipping over half way through. Quick cooking veggies like asparagus and zucchini take 10-15 minutes; longer cooking like butternut squash 20-30 minutes. Google recipes for specific veggies.

You can also make a big pot of a vegetable soup to use for lunch, snacks and before dinner.
  • katies2boys
    Options

Thanks for sharing. They look delicious, definitely added to the menu this week.
  • mrslehan2013
    Options
    I was just going to post this and am so glad you did! I feel like I'm always only eating carbs and meat! Yesterday I made Mashed Cauliflower--delicious!

Steam a head of cauliflower
    blend it with a little bit of water until smooth.
    I add 2 tablespoons on sour cream, 2 table spoons of instant mashed potatoes, garlic, spices, salt, pepper and I added 1/4 C of Italian shredded cheese. I ended up eating the whole bowl (woops) and it was like 400 calories. It usually makes 4 servings so about 100 per serving.
  • EllaSmora
    EllaSmora Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mash parsnips and carrot is a great mash potato alternative.

I usually make things where I cut up a variety of vegetables like mushrooms, peppers, brocolli, baby corn etc. then fry it with a little olive oil and garlic, chuck in some chopped chicken or turkey, add chopped tomoatos to make an awesome veg-packed moist dish that can be served on it's own or with rice/pasta/bread if you want.

Stir-frys are also another way to increase the veg intake, as is homemade soup :)

Good luck getting your 5-a-day :)