Self motivation method?

Options
So I've tried a new way to motivate myself, and I'm not sure if it's going to do more harm than good, I recently changed the background on my phone to my "before" picture, and cringe every time i look at my phone (and like any 22 y/o I'm always on it), is this a healthy way of saying, "Don't give up!" or does it do something more devastating in the psychological aspect?

Replies

• Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    I just think of being the size of a whale in the summer if I don't get my weight down..it's certainly worked since joining this haha
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    It can be whichever one you want as long as it helps you be active and make good choices. If it makes you depressed and want to burrow your head in the sand get rid of it. You can keep adding pictures as you are successful to help keep you motivated.
  • living2lose2
    living2lose2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good motivation tool. I would add an after shot in there too. Like a split photo. Cuz looking at my old self gets me depressed and provokes bad emotions, but to each his own. Congrats on your success!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I guess you're the only person who can answer whether it impacts you psychologically to see the OLD you consistently on your phone. Me, I'd look at it as a reminder of what you USED to be, not who you are now. Maybe seeing it all the time is a bit much. I have old photos of me +30 pounds that I can reference if I need motivation but I don't look at them every 5 minutes which would be true if I had them as my background on my phone :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I know for me looking at side-by-side photos (me before next to me now) helps more than just the before. Whenever I feel like I haven't made ANY progress, this reminds me that I have made a LOT of progress, and I just need to keep on. I don't know if I could look at that every time I looked at my phone, though. It would probably be too much.

BTW, I made the mistake of not taking ENOUGH photos along the way. I've been in "maintenance mode" for almost a year, and I still have moments where I feel like I'm failing -- but seeing that progression really helps, even if I do only have 3 photos. :flowerforyou: So take photos -- monthly or something.
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the replies! i will probably be adding an after shot to it, I'm still at the "Oh god a mirror, RUN!" phase so i think that it still might be too soon in hindsight