Need help

Options
Hello!

I need some insight. I'm >100lbs over weight and have made the decision to lose weight. In 2011 I lost approximately 70lbs and then in 2012 I gained back roughly 35lbs. I don't want to become a serial dieter and I absolutely want to be healthy. I want to be thin and fit.

Here's the problem: I've recommitted to a healthier lifestyle the last 3 weeks. I eat between 1200-1500 net calories a day. I exercise 30minutes 5x a week (moderate level aerobics). I'm hoping to slowly work up to 50minutes 6x a week. I drink 8-12 glasses of water a day. I drink 2 glasses of green tea a day. My exercise calories are measured with a polar heart rate monitor and I use a food scale and measuring cups for food portions. Anyway, I've somehow gained 5lbs!! I'm really discouraged and frustrated. Two years ago when I started losing weight I managed to lose like 10lbs in the first month. How can I gain 5lbs in 2.5 weeks this time?

Please, if you could give me any advice I would really appreciate it. I'm Really upset by my lack of progress and by the fact that somehow I'm heading in the opposit direction. I feel like I am defying science here!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi there, sometimes all it takes is one or two "bad" meals for me to gain a ton of water weight. And by bad, I mean anything different than what I had been eating. Sodium can do this to you, not enough water can do this to you, too much processed foods and sugar can do this.

How long has the 5lbs been there? If its just been a couple days, try not to worry, just get back on the bandwagon of eating clean. :)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight, TOM, high sodium, or any number of reasons. How long did it take to gain the 5 lbs?
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I gained 4lbs my first week and another lb the second week
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Could you be eating too few calories?
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    4lbs in a week is water weight unless you actually ate (3600 calories *4) over your goal that week. If as you say you're just back at it a few weeks, give things a little more time to settle and keep doing what you're doing. The scale is NOT everything. And MEASURE yourself so you have another waty to see progress and maybe pick up some weights once or twice a week so you can put on a little muscle. Muscle burns more calories at rest and takes up less volume of space.
  • living2lose2
    living2lose2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat, could be a comb of water weight and building muscle. Sounds like you are doing everything right. You just have to keep in mind that the changes you are making will get you to your goal. also, maybe you’re letting the scale have too much power. Don’t let the scale dictate your happiness and mood. You are doing great and i'm very proud of your accomplishments.
  • artopics
    Options
    Without knowing what you are eating for your 1200 calories.. I think if you focus on eating only lean meats, use very little fat, eat fresh steamed veggies- again no fats and absolutely no sugar - check your labels - even seasonings have sugar - for 3 or 4 days - you'll be right on track in no time flat!

Another thing I've noticed, personally... I typically plateau for a week or so around my monthly cycle. I've accepted it as inevitable and just go with it - knowing that if I stay on track, especially during those 7-10 days - it pays off!

Stress can keep you from losing weight - so relax - stop thinking about it. Breathe Deep :-) And get enough sleep.

You sound like you are doing everything right. You've come this far - don't turn back now! :smile:
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    4 lbs one week then 1 the next... I think you really need to reevaluate your macros and what you are eating.

Last year when I started on MFP I hired a personal trainer for 2 months and only lost 3 lbs. :( Turns out after my morning workouts I was eating all carbs and fiber... no protein or fat. I would have a big bowl of oatmeal with a big banana... since I've learned that the two highly contribute to sustaining weight or weight gain.... NOT loss.

Try making sure you're on a 40/30/30 diet maybe? (40 protein, 30 fat, 30 carbs?)
  • Megamus55
    Options
    I'm going to give you a different angle to look at it...........why on earth would you be discouraged with that fantastic lifestyle you have described. If what you told us is true, you are living an excellent lifestyle with lots of movement and watching what you eat, you are a healthier person for that regardless of the weigh loss or gain.

Truthfully what does weight tell you, why get discouraged by a number on a scale that has no real relevance in regards to your health. weight and BMI categories are used for population studies and tracking. On an individual level they hold very little relevance to your health. Remove the importance off of the weight loss and place it on maintining the wonderful lifestyle behaviors you described. I bet you will be happier, healthier and as a secondary non-important result, you will likely lose some weight too.

If you are working to eat as healthy as you happily can and living as active of a lifestyle as you can happily do, you have nothing to be dissappointed in and everything to be proud of!, Keep it up this is a long haul thing and it sounds like your off to a great start, keep learning and keep working

good luck!
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking your measurements? It could be muscle gain from your increased physical activities- do your clothes feel tighter?
  • Molly08
    Options
    My measurements haven't changed at all. My clothes may even be tighter :os but I could be imagining this.
  • lmh2013
    Options
    Have you ever had your Thyroid levels checked? I discovered about a year ago that I have Hypothyroidism, which will slow down your metabolism, and cause unexplained weight gain.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Are you under a lot of stress? Is it your time of the month? Are you sleeping 7-8 hours a night?
  • Molly08
    Options
    Oh yes. Ihad them checked. They are normal. Not hypothyroid or pre-diabetic and I sleep 8hrs a night
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance that you could be pregnant?
  • Molly08
    Options
    Is there any chance that you could be pregnant?

Absolute impossibility
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You need to stick to the consistent efforts for more than a couple weeks. Exercise can cause your muscles to hold more fluid, making you weigh more and feel like your clothes are more snug. You could be retaining water because of your menstrual cycle. Maybe you had something with more sodium than you expected and it gave a higher weight reading.

If you haven't lost weight in six weeks, then it'll be time to worry.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If your metabolic rate and calories burned calculations are correct, and your food measurements are accurate, then you should be losing weight. I know it sounds a bit pushy, but go back through everything and re-assess. Unless you have a thyroid issue or some other medical problem then you should be losing weight.

Take a look at this to start: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Edited to Add: Also, only weight yourself once a week at the same time each time. Water weight variations can cover a few pounds so its important to try and keep the variables consistent from weigh-in to weigh-in. For example, weigh just after you wake up, prior to breakfast or drinking anything and after you use the restroom.