Squats and scissor kicks (week 2)

Options
newcs
newcs Posts: 717 Member
Hi everyone!

This is the 2nd weekly challenge (first can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/840183-250-push-ups-run-a-3-miles-challenge-week-1)

This week's exercises are squats and scissor kicks. Squats are a great lower body exercise and scissor kicks do an awesome job on your core! Set your goal for each, check in with your progress and do your absolute best to meet your goal by the end of the challenge. The challenge will end Saturday 1/19/13. If you participate in the challenge and post your results by the end of the week, you will have a chance at picking the exercises for next week's challenge!

You can tailor this to meet your fitness level. If you're just starting out, try body weight squats. If you're into free weights, goblet squats are great and if you like to lift heavy, go for barbell squats!

Here are my goals:

Goblet squats - 30lbs - 80 reps for the week
Scissor kicks - 160 reps for the week

Good luck!!

Replies

• SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm in, why not.

Except I am recovering from 2 hip surgeries, so I may have to modify slightly.

I am going to catch up with last week's pushups though.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Damn, I just saw last weeks challenge. I am going to try both for this week! although that might be a bit optimistic! What are scissor kicks? Is there a link that I can use to figure out how to do them?
  • iliketobehugged
    iliketobehugged Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I will start today with squats and scissor kicks.
    My weights won't be that heavy. I will be using 8 pounds for now.
    Hopefully I can find you next week!
  • iliketobehugged
    iliketobehugged Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Scissor kicks, I think, can go both ways? Up and down, left to right? I think I will alternate. One day up and down, next day left to right.
  • kvh_1fan
    kvh_1fan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Also going to try and catch up on the push ups from last week. Let's keep these going!

Here's a video or scissor kicks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWKTmFv76I8

Here's one for goblet squats in case anyone needs it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZac-6H9bs

My goals for the week:
    Push Ups-250
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Let's go everyone! What a great challenge! I actually use squats as part of my weight lifting routine.
  • newcs
    Options
    I'm in. Also going to try and catch up on the push ups from last week. Let's keep these going!

Here's a video or scissor kicks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWKTmFv76I8

Here's one for goblet squats in case anyone needs it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZac-6H9bs

My goals for the week:
    Push Ups-250

Thanks for the links! I know the exercise in the first video as flutter kicks which I find easier. I do these: http://gamentrain.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/scissor-kicks.jpg which I find more difficult. I always put my hands under me when doing scissor kicks side to side because otherwise my hips grind on the floor/mat. Do whichever you feel is better suited to you :) As long as you're moving and improving, that's what's important.

For the scissor kicks - the lower your feet are to the ground, the more difficult it will be.

For the goblet squats - the closer together your feet are, the more difficult it will be. Watch your form!! It's very easy to get hurt doing squats so please please please watch videos and read up on it if you're not sure of proper form. Your knees should never pass over your toes and keep your back straight, head up.

I'm excited to see so many people up for the challenge! And those who are catching up on last week's challenge too: great job!!
  • newcs
    Options
    Let's go everyone! What a great challenge! I actually use squats as part of my weight lifting routine.

Thanks for starting these challenges :)

I love squats - they're so easily adaptable to any fitness level and are a great compound movement! If I someday learn to lift heavy, they will be first on my list. The only thing stopping me is that I have no one to teach me.

For beginners, feel free to use just your bodyweight and put your hands out for balance.

For those looking for variations, check out the lists in this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_(exercise) I wouldn't rely on their explanations as your sole source of info but it's a great way to find variations that you can then research.
  • Ruxie
    Ruxie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ok rock on! I couldn't find where week one was, but I completed the 3 miles and didn't make it all the way to 250 pushups but did 50. I'll do better this week! Thanks for posting!
  • porter1117
    porter1117 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just found this - I am in also. Great idea. Love the enthusiasm you guys are generating.:smile:
  • Sporkman13
    Sporkman13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in on this. This is exactly what I need to stay motivated and focused. I want to make up the pushups from last week. Here are my goals for the week:

pushups - 250
    squats - (probably just use the pair of 10 lb. dumbbells I have at home) - 100
    Scissor Kicks - what exactly would constitue '1 rep" in scissor kicks? Once up and down with each leg? I guess I need to know that before I can determine how many I will do. I was thinking 3 sets of 30 seconds each to start?
  • kvh_1fan
    Options
    Was sick for a few days but squeezed in some of these last night with my other workout.

Week so far:
    50 push ups
    25 goblet squats
    30 scissor kicks

Going to repeat this tonight, probably up the scissor kicks. How's everyone else doing this week??
  • tldillard3
    tldillard3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just saw this but i'm going to join in.
  • InsuranceBabe
    InsuranceBabe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just saw this post, I'm going to try and get done before the end of the week. Good thing to day is Legs at the gym :-)
  • newcs
    Options
    I'm in on this. This is exactly what I need to stay motivated and focused. I want to make up the pushups from last week. Here are my goals for the week:

pushups - 250
    squats - (probably just use the pair of 10 lb. dumbbells I have at home) - 100
    Scissor Kicks - what exactly would constitue '1 rep" in scissor kicks? Once up and down with each leg? I guess I need to know that before I can determine how many I will do. I was thinking 3 sets of 30 seconds each to start?

You can judge it however makes sense to you. I do my scissor kicks to the side so I count 1 rep as crossing my legs and then returning to the sides. I swap which leg is on top each time so it's 10 with my left leg on top, 10 with my right.

I'm behind on strength stuff this week due to a wacky schedule but this is where I'm at after my workout today:

Scissor kicks: 80 reps (4 sets of 20)
    Goblet squats (30lbs): 40 reps (4 sets of 10)

I'll be making up for my missing workout (usually I do Tues/Thurs strength) on Saturday
  • kvh_1fan
    Options
    Was sick for a few days but squeezed in some of these last night with my other workout.

Week so far:
    50 push ups
    25 goblet squats
    30 scissor kicks

Going to repeat this tonight, probably up the scissor kicks. How's everyone else doing this week??

Got some more done yesterday after my workout.
    Week so far:
    80 push ups
    70 goblet squats
    90 scissor kicks\

Let's push hard to end the week. Everyone let us know how you're doing!
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    45 squats this week with 100 lbs on the bqar
    25 goblet squats with 40 lbs dumbbell
    60 leg presses with 190 lbs

I did not do any scissor kicks.
  • newcs
    Options
    Well, I was all set to get a makeup workout in Saturday even though I got voluntold to work the weekend. Then I was the only one in the office and a water pipe in the ceiling burst. Unfortunately I did not meet my goal for last week but hopefully I'll get back on track this week!
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    Well, I was all set to get a makeup workout in Saturday even though I got voluntold to work the weekend. Then I was the only one in the office and a water pipe in the ceiling burst. Unfortunately I did not meet my goal for last week but hopefully I'll get back on track this week!

That being said...I think you should select one of week 2s participants to choose and post week 3s challenge. :-)