Fat Blockers Scare Me!

Options
So... I was thinking about this when I saw an Alli ad the other day. Presuming the garbage actually works, isn't blocking fat a bad thing since dietary fats regulate hormones?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bump. No one interested in discussing this?
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    fat blockers, fat burners, (etc). All those products are a load of garbage. They are only sometimes perceived to work because someone uses them in conjunction with a healthy diet change.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    They do sound scary to me, too. I've been told, specifically with Ally, that if you don't change your diet to go with it, though, you spend a large amount of time puking. Not exactly something I want just because I decided I wanted a lemon-filled doughnut.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    They do sound scary to me, too. I've been told, specifically with Ally, that if you don't change your diet to go with it, though, you spend a large amount of time puking. Not exactly something I want just because I decided I wanted a lemon-filled doughnut.

My ex took it for awhile. He had uncontrollable diarrhea because he didn't cut the fat out of his diet. But I'm wondering about Alli's effect on healthy fats for those who successfully use the product.

I realize you lose because of the calorie deficit, but I'm worried about the people taking it how they could be causing themselves some bigger problems by taking it.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    They give people the "pizza grease butt" syndrome! Eesshhhh!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    these guys?

49ers-offensive-line.jpg
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Alli blocks about 1/4 of the fat you take in, such that it goes straight out of your colon. IMHO, the primary benefit is that a person sticks to a healthy eating plan because they don't want oily diarrhea.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had a friend do the Ally thing once... it sounded horrible, from how she described it. If you eat too much fat, your body won't absorb it and it will pass through you very quickly so, what you think might be gas, probably isn't. Pretty much, you'll have to run to the bathroom a lot.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    They scare me too.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Me too...I would be the person to screw it up and poop my pants.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Nobody wants the grease farts. Nobody.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    You can't regulate/worry about everyone who takes them. I think if someone is gullible enough to take them, they won't take them long term. Alot of people are undereating fat. That's a big problem. But, if someone has a lot of body fat, their body will use that to make up for lack of dietary fat. Good luck trying to convince people to eat more fat.

My macros include 45% fat. I've been maintainng on that.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The dirty little secret of Alli is that basically you poop out the extra "blocked" fat in the form of greasy diarrhea whenever you eat more than they recommend you eat on the packaging. Die hard users of it often wear adult diapers.

I swear to god I am not even kidding.

I think I'd rather just stick to the basic eat less move more thing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    You can't regulate/worry about everyone who takes them. I think if someone is gullible enough to take them, they won't take them long term. Alot of people are undereating fat. That's a big problem. But, if someone has a lot of body fat, their body will use that to make up for lack of dietary fat. Good luck trying to convince people to eat more fat.

My macros include 45% fat. I've been maintainng on that.

Alas... I'm always trying to fix the world. I realize I won't be able to convince anyone not to take them. But I'm suggesting that maybe they haven't been fully explored for their potential to cause harm. Just a conversation-starter. I was just looking for thoughts and opinions from the community.
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    If you try it and don't change your diet...don't go far from a bathroom.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

^^^ This, definitely me. :embarassed:
  • thetemplateblog
    thetemplateblog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    IMO Eating fat does not make you fat. Sugars make you fat.

People don't need pills to loose weight, you just need to try different styles of eating and see what your body responds to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think that you'd want to block fat from your body either...maybe a sat fat blocker, but healthy fats are necessary and good for the heart, brain, and nervous system. When I first started out on this journey and thought I had to cut out fat I was eating non fat or low fat everything and not getting anywhere close to enough healthy fat...I was depressed, lacked energy, couldn't think straight, and always on edge...it sucked, so I did more research and learned that fat really isn't inherently evil.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

^^^ This, definitely me. :embarassed:

Yep, me too!
    A gimmick is a gimmick. I prefer to do this a more healthy...and less poopy way! :blushing:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    An alternative is to eat a lot of fiber, like Fiber One cereal or bars, they make you poop but not excessively. And fiber is good for you. Could take off some "weight" short term.