Greek Yogurt - Texture Issue

Options
So I have tried Greek yogurt only once, but I really struggled with the texture...it seemed very grainy and dried out my mouth like a cotton ball. I typically enjoy lite yogurts in pretty much any flavor except vanilla.

Is Greek yogurt really that much better than the lite/fat free yogurts? I'm willing to give it another go - what brands/flavors would you recommend?

Thanks!

Replies

• mlightvt
    Options
    I have tried MANY brands/flavors of Greek yogurt and the ONLY one I can even tolerate is Stonyfield Organic OIKOS Greek Yogurt. The texture is much smoother/less chalky-gloppy than all the other brands I have tried.

I like their chocolate, blueberry, strawberry, lemon and pineapple flavors. Do not care for their mixed berry or honey.

Give it a try and see if you agree! :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Was it fat free? :sick: I can't handle fat free dairy - non-fat usually means non-creamy, unless they've added something to it to make it creamy again.

If you've got a Trader Joe's in your area, their plain Greek yogurt in the 2% variety is excellent - very creamy and smooth, and has 24g of protein per cup. I'd go for their full fat yogurt, but for some reason it only has 9g of protein per cup. :huh: But the 2% is very nice - great with fruit & honey, in a smoothie, in my oatmeal, or as a sub for sour cream! Good stuff.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So I have tried Greek yogurt only once, but I really struggled with the texture...it seemed very grainy and dried out my mouth like a cotton ball. I typically enjoy lite yogurts in pretty much any flavor except vanilla.

Is Greek yogurt really that much better than the lite/fat free yogurts? I'm willing to give it another go - what brands/flavors would you recommend?

Thanks!

The thing with Greek yogurt is that it has a lot more protein than other yogurts. The Stonyfield Oikos Greek yogurt and the Trader Joes Greek yogurt are very good. I liked Dannon Greek too, but the vanilla and such were VERY sweet. I liked Fresh and Easy Greek Yogurt, too. (You may not have a Fresh and Easy, though) I don't like lite/fat free yogurts. They have a ton of sugar and additives, so in my opinion it's healthier to eat the regular yogurt. Yes, you may have extra calories, but it tastes better, is better for you and if you plan it right, you can enjoy it all the same! :)
  • Nattitude77
    Nattitude77 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    OIKOS is amazing greek yogurt sooo smooth and yummy!!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've tried tons of brands and flavors of Greek yogurt and I don't like any of them. Fage is the worst. Yes, I said Fage is the worst. It's like eating thick thick sour cream. I normally buy regular non-flavored unsweetened yogurt. Lately, I've started combining them. 1/2 a cup of regular yogurt + half a cup of greek. So it's slightly thicker than my regular yogurt, but not so much that I gag on it. Plus it has a little more protein than usual.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am a Chobani lover! Pineapple is my FAVE but I like others too. I'm always sad when I finish it. :cry:

I can't eat the "lite" yogurts anymore since I've been eating greek. All I can taste is the fake sugar...
  • changejen2013
    Options
    Screw greek yogurt. There are some things people don't need to substitute and as a yogurt lover myself...this is one of them!
    I've tried greek yogurt twice now, by yoplait, and yuck...horrible tasting.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love Stonyfield Oikos greek yogurt. Chobani on the other hand, yuck!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    The only one I can tolerate is Oikos. I tried Chobani and it turned me off of yogurt for a while. Oikos fruit on the bottom is great!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I like Fage.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Screw greek yogurt. There are some things people don't need to substitute and as a yogurt lover myself...this is one of them!

I think the yoplait one has a lot of additives. I like my greek yogurt with honey.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit Greek, they make it in either fat free or regular, I love the vanilla because I add almonds to it, I've tried others but this is one that I really like...

They also have it other fruity flavors too.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You need to try different brands until you find one that works for you. our family prefers the Liberte brands. And yes it is better for you... just read the labels.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Wow this is good to know. I have only tried Oikos and eat it just about every day and didn't know any other one could be "grainy". I love my Oikos. Guess I will stick to this one.
  • 4_Lisa
    Options

I think the yoplait one has a lot of additives. I like my greek yogurt with honey.

I agree, yoplait was not a good one at all!
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a texture issue for so much as it was the taste. My favorites are Fage with raspberry, Fage with cherry, and Chobani pineapple. Other than that, I'm really not a Greek yogurt fan. I've read some of the "Eat This, Not That" books and they suggested the Fage because it has less sugar than others.
  • 4_Lisa
    Options
    Wow this is good to know. I have only tried Oikos and eat it just about every day and didn't know any other one could be "grainy". I love my Oikos. Guess I will stick to this one.

I prefer the Liberte even to Oikos
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani and Greek gods.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I like the Dannon Oikos or the Light & fit Greek yogurt. It's only about 80cals and 12 grams of Protein. Tastes really good
  • 1MariaChristina
    1MariaChristina Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have tried MANY brands/flavors of Greek yogurt and the ONLY one I can even tolerate is Stonyfield Organic OIKOS Greek Yogurt. The texture is much smoother/less chalky-gloppy than all the other brands I have tried.

I like their chocolate, blueberry, strawberry, lemon and pineapple flavors. Do not care for their mixed berry or honey.

Give it a try and see if you agree! :)

I have tried about 6 different varieties and Oikos by Stonyfield is hands down my fav orite!!