Parental pressure

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new to myfitnesspal (I've joined before but never really used it) and there's an issue I really need to get past before I can start losing weight. Let me start at the beginning. I was always a chubby child, though looking back now I always perceived myself as larger than I really was. In 2006 I started secondary school and I felt fat and awkward next to all the glamorous 'popular' girls and I ate to comfort myself. Year 7 was a really difficult year for me; I had few friends and I just felt like a plain lump. My weight hit 9st just as I went into year 8 any I decided that I had to lose weight. I spoke to my mum about it and she was really supportive, encouraging me and I lost a stone in ten-twelve weeks. However, being on a strict diet for so long was hard when I was so young and the weight gradually crept back on. My weight yo-yoed throughout secondary school and when I started sixth form weighing 1 11st 2lbs, though I was a quarter of a pound off of twelve stone by the Christmas holidays. I then joined weight watchers and lost 11lb but I grew tired of it and joined Slimming World instead. I found weight loss groups put a lot of pressure on me and my parents constantly made me feel guilty when I didn't lose weight because they were paying for me to go. I joined my school gym and am going to go on Monday but I find it awkward getting sweaty and red-faced in my free periods, surrounded by people I know. Tonight I went to a friend's house and she recommended a local gym to me, which would cost around £33 per month. I told my parents and asked for their support and they took offence, reminding me of all the money they'd 'wasted' on my slimming groups and saying "you're 18, what do you need our support for?". They got so angry at my comment, which really was just my way of asking for some gentle encouragement and reminded me of all the other areas in life which they have supported me with- and in their credit, they have been brilliantly supportive, but not pushy, when it comes to my education, driving, friendships and hobbies. However, them making me feel guilty every time I eat a KitKat (which are only 107 calories, come on!) has caused me to become secretive about my eating habits. My mum then found my chocolate wrappers under my bed and made comments about my jeans looking tight and tonight she bought it all up, saying that how can I expect her support when I do that? What she doesn't understand is that I do it because of her. I feel like I'm trapped in a vicious cycle. I can never have a rational discussion with my mum about the problems in our relationship; we argue, then we pretend that everything's fine. How can I lose weight when my parents are acting like this? I can sense that it's always going to be a bone of contention. I really hate arguing with my parents and it really upsets me, and to be honest I think it has a detrimental effect on my weight loss and motivation. I do want to lose weight, for me- I don't want to be mega skinny, just at a weight I am comfortable with. What do I do?

Replies

• thestiltsofdeath
    Options
    I have to say, that I totally understand you. I feel like this is not only a weight issue, but a communication issue. I have the same problem with a parent myself. We don't speak the same way. We don't think the same way. For example, he'll say something that I think is condescending and mean-spirited, but he thinks he's be helpful and logical. I put in a lot of research and time to draw to conclusions now, but since I was flighty in the past, it's assumed I'm making stupid decisions.

What I've learned from these experiences is that trying to find approval from parents is great, but there's a moment in your life when you have to realize it's just that: your life. Approval of yourself is far more important.

If you want to get in shape and lose weight because it'll make YOU happy, you'll be more motivated to do so. I know this is hard to actually put into action (trust me, I've been working on it for years), but sometimes everyone's opinion has to become white noise. And you have to be healthy for you. And losing weight needs to be a lifestyle, not a diet. Support groups (people who want to get healthy as well) are extremely helpful. Make attainable goals for yourself and celebrate when you reach them. Instead of saying, 'I need to lose 20lbs', say 'I'll try to lose one pound this week'. And if you achieve it? YAY! If not? Pick yourself up and try again!

If you want, I'd be happy to encourage you and friend you on here. In fact, I'm sort of a loner in my health-adventure as well (my friends and family aren't really into the exercising thing and so I get sidetracked sometimes). We can support each other!
  • kitty_764
    Options
    What she said...And you can't blame your parents when you choose to buy chocolate and eat it.
  • hannahsteveeee
    Options
    Thank you for this post, I feel much better knowing that I am not the only one with communication issues with my parents. I think my mum does the same- she doesn't realise that her tone of voice can actually be very cutting even though often, said in a different way, her words might actually be helpful and constructive. I also think you're right about weight loss being personal- after all, it's my weight and only I can lose it. I'm going to try and lose 1lb this week- any more, great, and if I fail then I've got next week to try again :)

I've also just added you as a friend! :)
  • thestiltsofdeath
    Options
    And I've accepted! And that's a great, healthy viewpoint to have. There's no way to please everyone, so may as well start with yourself!
  • kitty_764
    Options
    My mum then found my chocolate wrappers under my bed and made comments about my jeans looking tight and tonight she bought it all up, saying that how can I expect her support when I do that? What she doesn't understand is that I do it because of her.

Not to be harsh, but you need to stop making excuses. Once you realize that it's you and ONLY you that's making you overeat - is when that imaginary switch will flip and you will start seeing that only you have the power and control to change you, nobody else.

You are very lucky to have parents who were willing to pay for your attempts and efforts and support you. I think they are frustrated because you blame them. I think when you get older you will see how much your parents really helped you and it was you who really held yourself back.

I post motivational pics on my Facebook page to keep me accountable and motivated. One is
    If it's important to you, you will find a way - if not, you will find an excuse
    And
    Your life is the result in the choices you make..If you don't like your life, it's time you start making better choices
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This is interesting to me because I am the father of an 18 year old male and we at times also have communication problems. When this started happening I at first felt mystified because I felt I always had his best interest at heart. It took time, advice and reflection for me to see my piece in this. Sometimes out of the best intentions parents can react instead of reflect and be fear driven. It isn't easy to let go and trust your kids to make their way in the world. It's natural for us to see the immature side of our kids and worry about their weaknesses instead of encourage them and celebrate their strengths. When I accepted this my relationship with my son changed dramatically.

That said, there are two sides to this. Kids don't have to wait for their parents to figure things out, they can take control if they choose. It's all about maturity. If kids behave maturely with consistency, their parents will have little choice but to respect them and their choices. But to do this they have to begin to see their relationship with their parents differently, begin to assert independence in a positive way and practice maturity.

So the question I'd leave you with is are you ready to practice maturity? If you are things wil[ change. Good luck.
  • hannahsteveeee
    Options

It's all about maturity. If kids behave maturely with consistency, their parents will have little choice but to respect them and their choices.

I agree with you here. Reading your post has made me realise that I just need to show my parents I can do it and they'll have little choice but to acquiesce. Thanks!

It was also interesting to see a parent's point of view and it's made me less angry. So again, thanks!
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options

It's all about maturity. If kids behave maturely with consistency, their parents will have little choice but to respect them and their choices.

I agree with you here. Reading your post has made me realise that I just need to show my parents I can do it and they'll have little choice but to acquiesce. Thanks!

It was also interesting to see a parent's point of view and it's made me less angry. So again, thanks!

Glad to help! Willingness to see the world through the eyes of others is a terrific quality!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I can see that what you're going through is quite aggravating for you, and reaching out is very important, as is the support of the people who are closest to you. I'm going to attempt to give you a bit of perspective here though so please forgive me if this is not what you want to hear.

First, You're 18, you're an adult. You and you alone have control over what goes into your mouth and what kind of output you're willing to put out. If you want to join a gym you should definitely do so, but don't expect your parents to pay for it for you. Not unless you have an agreement and you earn it.

Second, Weight loss groups DO put a lot of pressure on you. That's what they're meant to do. They are there to provide incentive and yes, some measure of guilt, so that you can meet goals that you are unable to meet on your own.

Third, you've said that your parents are very supportive. Be INCREDIBLY thankful for that. But do not blame your parents for being a bit judgmental when you don't stick to weight loss plans that they pay for. Consider them your physical conscience. They rag on you for eating kitkats? then either a) don't eat kitkats or b) don't complain about needing to lose weight. Now before someone jumps down my throat I am NOT saying "eat clean or else" I have terrible eating habits in some respects as well, but I don't complain about my weight when I know I'm doing something bad for my health. Own it, one way or the other. And yes, a KitKat may only be 107 calories, but I find that it's rarely just one, and those small calorie counts add up! (100 calories, after all is 1/12 of many people's daily calorie limits on this site!)

Fourth, if you want to have the right to tell your parents to get their noses out of your progress? then make the payments yourself. That goes for all aspects of life. If you make your own way and pay your own way then no one has the right to criticize how you're doing it. If you have others helping pay? then you are responsible to them as well as yourself.

Fifth, if you're going to get fit you're going to have to get over this embarrassment of getting red and sweaty in front of people you know. Because that will not be any different when it's people you don't know. It's always a bit embarrassing to think that people are watching you work, and possibly judging how you do it. But it's YOUR workout and YOUR body, not theirs. I ran my first marathon 40 lbs heavier than I am now and it was a bit embarrassing, especially because I came in dead last in a field of 120 people. But it didn't kill me, in fact it made me feel fabulous because no matter what anyone thought? I DID IT. I know that high school can be awful, I couldn't wait to get out of mine, but you may run into people you know no matter where you go, just go consistently and you'll earn their respect for having the balls to do what you set out to do. And own the sweaty mess that working out makes you become, getting a look while on the treadmill? Turn up your music and dance a bit, give them something to look at!

Finally, be very appreciative of your parents. Life is too short to be angry at them for having your best interests at heart. My mom used to rag at me about my weight, my favourite line was "do you really need to eat that?" it drove me bonkers and for a while, like you, I used to think "well if you're going to nag at me then fine I'LL SHOW YOU" and I would eat it just to spite her because it
    "really wasn't doing me any harm" except that, in hindsight, it certainly wasn't doing me any good. Now I wish I had the opportunity to show her how much I took her encouragement and guidance to heart and how far I've come. Unfortunately she died in a car crash when I was 17 so I never got the chance.

Most importantly, know that you CAN do this when you are ready to commit to it. But you will be more successful when you do it with a sense of gratitude for the support you are getting!