Walnuts

Options
I am entering my lunch and I have about half a cup of walnuts in my salad and MFP is showing it at about 400 calroes. That doesn't sound right, does it?!?!?!?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    For a half cup, that is about right. Nuts are high in healthy fats which make them high calorie. I weigh out my daily snack of almonds...a mere 30 grams is 170 calories!
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That is correct...
  • becomingtherealme
    Options
    I had 1 TLBS and it was 50! Don't get discouraged. We live and learn.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Walnuts - super good for you - high in calories and fat - but worth it :smile:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It sounds right. I put 30 grams in my smoothies and it's 200 calories! Painful to log but they're really good for you. Walnuts are a great source of omega 3's and for someone who doesn't eat much fish that's a good thing!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That seems right, perhaps a bit high. http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99

If you want to have an exact calorie count, go by weight, not by volume--nuts are irregularly shaped and will pack into a cup differently depending on size and how intact they are.

This said, calorie density is no reason to shirk nuts. They are very good for you. If you are worried, alternate between different kinds of nuts; pistachios and almonds are less caloric.
  • JuicyKey31
    Options
    I have learned nuts are very high in calories but healthy, to be honest always watch even the healthy high calories!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's right.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's good clean eating though and healthy fats for the win!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, high cals, but really great food. Don't sweat it.