Going Vegan

Any advice or recipes? I have about 40lbs to lose and I have been considering the vegan lifestyle. Not only because of wanting to lose weight but also many other reasons. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    My advice is to TRY IT! If it is something you are truly interested in, it cannot hurt to try it. I tried it, 10 months ago, and have been loving it ever since. It has helped immensely with my weight loss, but I also feel better than I have in YEARS. There are a ton of good recipes out there, and some really bad ones, just like with any recipe. You just have to experiment and find what works for you. I love pretty much everything I have tried from Happy Herbivore and the Engine 2 diet. Both of them have websites with a lot of good information and recipes. Good luck to you!
  • sliuba
    sliuba Posts: 28 Member
    Try it but BE CAREFUL. I was a vegan for four years and a vegetarian for 4 years after that and developed significant health concerns due to it.

Explore other protein sources besides soy. Over-consumption of soy is extremely bad for you and can cause hypothyroidism and impede you from weight loss. (my story).

Beware of excessive carb intake! I constantly was mistaken for a pregnant lady because I was practically emaciated besides the huge carb-belly that hung around my front. That was because at every restaurant, instead of salads, I chose pastas.

Just make better decisions than I did! It is an extremely difficult lifestyle down to the types of shampoos/conditioners you use. But you can do it and with support and tips, you can do it effectively. Definitely read up on the best way to do it!
  • I am of the opinion that the Vegan / Vegetarian diet is not "ideal". It is certainly healthier than the average American diet.

I would say eating Vegan for 30-90 days, or 2 out of 3 meals per day makes sense. It will force you to learn new recipes, and find new healthy foods.