Zumba

Options
Hi, I'm trying to set up my excercise and do not see Zumba or Zumba toning as an option? Is it under something else?

Replies

• librarygirlontherun
    Options
    I work it hard in zumba. It is actually more challenging to me that running 6 miles. An instructor in my class once wore a montior to see how many caloires she burned. It said 900 for the hour! I use 600 calories for the one I created. Doing zumba tonight.
  • meshamimi
    meshamimi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So I am doing Zumba Toning and I am on the higher end of the spectrum for levels. So 600 calories is not a far fetch then?
  • librarygirlontherun
    Options
    Is your heart rate up? If so 600 is good. I could actually bump mine up to 800?
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've used this website to calculate approximate calories since MFP doesn't have a category for it. Zumba toning would probably increase calories burned by 100-200 depending on intensity.

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • smcneely6202
    smcneely6202 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You won't find it. I think the closest thing is high intensity aerobics. At first, I went to Livestrong and looked up the calorie count for Zumba there and created my own custom exercise here. Now I have a heart monitor and I use that info. I found different instructors focus on different aspects and impact my calorie count.
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I do Zumba on the Wii it calculates for me about 400 calories per 40 minutes and that is low intensity. If you are working it hard for the entire hour, the estimation of 600 or higher is probably good.
  • meshamimi
    meshamimi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm going with 600. When I use the calculator is tells me I am buring 708. And what do I put it under? I must make my own category?
  • zumbaawd
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor, weigh 155, and typically burn 550-600 during class. Just hunted down my heart monitor strap this weekend and going to wear it during class tomorrow night to get an accurate count. I have a student that is close to 200 lbs, wears a heart monitor, and typically burns between 850-1000 calories per class. Just depends on the playlist that day.
  • dje96
    dje96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    An hour of zumba for me used to burn around 450 according to my HRM. I'm sure a lot depends on the playlist, as mentioned, and if there is any downtime between songs. It varies so much depending how much effort you put into it.