How do I lose ten pounds in three weeks?

Options
Any suggestions about how to quickly lose ten pounds? I am scheduled for hernia repair surgery in three weeks time. The doctors doing the surgery have ordered me to lose ten more pounds - as extra weight interferes with the procedure and swift recovery. Completely independent of this, and thanks to MFP, I have already lost over 35 lbs during the past year. So I hope this next weight loss is doable. The doctors referred me to a dietitian who recommmended low carbs and very low calories. I began this strict new diet about seven days ago. I continue with my regular cardio - but due to my condition, I'm avoiding the strain of weight training. As a result, I am concerned that as I lose this weight, some of it will be muscle loss - which seems a poor idea in advance of surgery. Any thoughts?

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    10 lbs = 35,000 calories

3 weeks = 21 days

35,000 cals/21 days = 1,666.66.

You need a daily calorie deficit of around 1700 calories to hit that mark.

I'm thinking that's either impossible or VERY unwise to attempt.
  • MAJdansk
    MAJdansk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'd ask the surgeon how'd he/she would do it. How about using Protein drinks as a meal supplement once a day? Stay hydrated. They used to recommend the Cabbage Soup Diet for pre-surgery weight loss. Wishing you success with your surgery.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    As a result, I am concerned that as I lose this weight, some of it will be muscle loss - which seems a poor idea in advance of surgery. Any thoughts?

Not some, you are gonna lose muscle.. but with it being a surgery I would just do what the dietitian told you to do and the Dr recommended... you are going to gain all of it back after your surgery so just be ready for that.
  • thinnerdavid
    Options
    I completely agree, 1,700 deficit is unrealistic. In the last week I am already down 2 lbs towards the ten, so it would be a 1,333 daily deficit for three more weeks. Difficult to do, but I'd like to at least get close to the ten lb loss to show the drs. that I tried.
  • ilivepaleo
    Options
    I can tell you how I lost 160 pounds. Live a low carb high fat lifestyle. You have to eat fat to lose fat.
    The most important thing you can do is put wheat out of your diet. Read a book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. Go to the wheat belly blog. It will change your life The weight will fall off. Check out my Facebook page Paleo Man
  • kellieym
    kellieym Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suggest the 17 day diet, it is low carb but not crazy like adkins and should give you good results.