newly developed Beef and dairy allergy....suggestions please

Options
I have just been diagnosed with a beef and dairy allergy. I have cut them out from my diet but I am looking for some recipies or ideas from my MFP people for things to make. I come from a beef heavy family where we had meat and potatoes almost all the time. I am very open minded and love trying new things so bring on the vegitarian dishes, main courses made with beans and legumes, give me some options that are not my standard chicken or fish

thanks

Replies

• lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a dairy problem in December 2011 and I thought it was so awful, but it has turned out the be the best thing ever.

There are some good threads to read for ideas on dairy free:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580608-dairy-free-anyone

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580608-dairy-free-anyone

Sadly, nothing will ever replace the taste of butter or cheese, but I will gladly give that up to not feel the way that I felt while eating dairy.

Just a few notes: Oreos are dairy free, I use earth balance buttery spreads, I eat NuGo allergy free protein bars or Clif Builder bars (they contain trace amounts of dairy, which isn't enough to affect me). When I need a chocolate fix, I go for Dark Chocolate. I use vanilla almond milk for cereal and coffee, and

The biggest thing is READ THE LABELS. It is ridiculous how many things have milk or butter in them, like breads, pastries, and other processed foods. I started cooking a lot more for myself when I found out, and that has made a huge difference. It took a long time to get used to it and not crave the things I missed, or eat dairy and get sick, but just over a year later I don't even miss it anymore.

As for the beef, I rarely eat red meat these days. For ground beef I sub in ground turkey (make sure to look that you're getting the lean kind, cuz non lean is very fatty and high in calories) all the time. I eat a LOT of chicken breast - I buy the pre-cut single serve vacuum packed breast meat. I also try to eat fish a lot... Canned Tuna, Fresh Salmon, Tilapia. It's fast to cook and pretty tasty with a little bit of spices.

Hope this helps!!
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I don't know how much I can help you with your dairy allergy but as far as your beef allergy, try portabello mushrooms. I grill them in the warm months and eat it on a hamburger bun with a slice of onion and provolone cheese. It has a lot of similar tastes as a hamburger patty. Also . . . try the Boca meatless varieties in the freezer section. They make veggie burgers, sausage patties, chicken patties, etc. I eat them all of the time and love them!

Hope this helps . . . and good luck finding your "groove" in all of this! I'm sure you'll adapt just fine and probably drop some extra pounds in the process! :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There is an incredible array of vegan recipe sites and blogs around. And you won't find beef or dairy on any of them!

If you are from a meat-heavy home, you might start out with things like bean/lentil chili, bean burritos/tacos, pizza (just order it without cheese), etc. Things that seem like "normal" foods to you.

But beware... I started out with an intolerance to beef and dairy and was vegan within a few months of my journey!
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump...no time to post right now
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I would die of starvation.

Did you get bit by one of these?

"A tiny tick might be to blame for a rash of meat allergies in central and southern regions of the U.S."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Allergies/allergic-meat-tiny-tick-spreading-vegetarianism/story?id=17672186

Time for me to wear a hat and long pants and sleeves at all times when running on the trail!
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    I don't have any recipes off the top of my head but I love Lactaid's fat free milk, and the 1% chocolate milk. Its a yummy treat when I need something choco.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Lactaid fat free milk is not for someone who is allergic to dairy. It is for someone who has lactose intolerance. An allergy is a reaction to the proteins in the milk. Lactose intolerance is difficulty breaking down the sugars.
    I don't have any recipes off the top of my head but I love Lactaid's fat free milk, and the 1% chocolate milk. Its a yummy treat when I need something choco.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Lactose free pills and milks are for people with an "intolerance" not an "allergy" right? Make sure which one you have before you try these suggestions, be careful, just sayin'.

Assuming yours is a full blown allergy read up on soy products and their effects on men online before going nuts with those. SPeaking of nuts (hopefully you arent' allergic to those) because almond milk is good.

As for beef, I liked a chili beans that had kidney beans, pinto beans and whole pecans in place of the meat in a traditional chili beans type sauce. It was satisfying on a cold day. When my hubby was a vegetarian we found that certain mushrooms have a meaty feel and are satisfying too. When I used to diet, I found that topping a salad with black beans and salsa and other mexican toppings almost gave me the sensation afterwards of getting stuffed on steak salad.

It's hard but you kind of have to eat your favorite beef dishes with everything but the beef and that can sometimes satisfy the urge for that dish without it.

Oh I remember for tacos I used to finely chop mushrooms, garbanzo beans, and black beans in a pan with olive oil and onions and make a taco filling with that. Stuffing it into warm corn tortillas then putting in EVERYTHING you ever had in a taco to make up for the missing meat. Yes lettuce, tomato, salsa (el pato), monterey jack cheese, sour cream, salt and all). I wasn't on a diet at the time so have no idea about the calories but it tasted pretty good. My husband liked it with the usual rice and beans. (used to use brown rice prepared like mexican rice the orange one and it was good.)

All in all we were pretty carb heavy while vegetarian.

Finally I'm sorry this is happening to you. Just wanna say that, because I know my mom recently became allergic to shrimp and it was scary how she found out and I feel so bad because she really likes shrimp and wants it every time we go to dinner. :ohwell: so really I'm sorry.
  • ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My son has a beef allergy. Watch out for gelatin. It can be beef or pork based. Its in gel caps and medicines - including some vaccines. Find a good allergist who works with a nutritionist. The FAAN website has lots of information. Best of luck!
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Lactaid fat free milk is not for someone who is allergic to dairy. It is for someone who has lactose intolerance. An allergy is a reaction to the proteins in the milk. Lactose intolerance is difficulty breaking down the sugars.

good point. so my question is:
    are you ALLERGIC or is it an intolerance?
    yes I know someone who has that kind of allergy-she developped a reaction to dairy first and years later developped an allergy to beef.
    Then you have to be very careful because there are beef proteins and dairy in a lotta things (example: soups!).
    If it's the case and it's a real allergy you can't go to the restaurant: a tiny bit of milk could kill you.
    An intolerance can make you sick, reallyyyyyy sick. But an allergy can kill you.
    Milk being everywhere I would try going vegan.
  • fantomette
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, if it's an allergy and not an intolerance you should cut ranch salad dressing: it usually contains milk and lactic acid, also be careful with bread.
    My aunt with a beef/milk allergy almost got killed by a slice of bread...
  • fantomette
    Options
    As for recipes you can make chicken/turkey burger, Chilis (with beans), thai food (just be careful and make your own sauce with chili peppers/lemon/soya sauce)...
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of allergies: all dairy, eggs, corn, soy, most beans, almonds....

Anything you can make with ground beef works just as well with ground turkey. I make lentil chili with ground turkey, spaghetti with ground turkey, meat loaf with ground turkey (using cranberry sauce instead of ketchup), tacos with ground turkey, curries with ground curry. Lamb is also good for roasts, stews, and curries.

I do a lot of stir fries.

For baked goods, I replace milk with oat milk (it works the best of any non-dairy milk). I use hazelnut milk in coffee drinks and the like. I whip coconut milk to replace whipped cream and eat coconut ice cream.

I'm so allergic to the milk proteins that I have to be careful to avoid foods processed on equipment that was used to process dairy. Restaurants are a nightmare unless they have really clean kitchens. Oddly enough, one of the few local restaurants that I can trust is a Mexican place. Their kitchen is scrupulously clean and I've never had dairy contamination there.

For cheese substitutes, I like Daya the best. It's not nutritionally wonderful, so I don't eat it much, but it lets me have the occasional pizza and lasagne and so forth.

All baked goods are suspect for dairy, including plain bread. I have to watch out for butter, too, as well as things that contain whey. Preserved meats (lunch meat, ham, smoked turkey and the like) often have whey in them as well. Anything that contains casein or whey should be avoided.

Food supplements and drugs are a nightmare, since they don't have to disclose inert ingredients. Ask your pharmacist when you fill prescriptions, and only get supplements that advertise as dairy-free. Watch out for gelatin.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can substitute lots of beef meals with chicken, turkey and pork if you want to stick with meat options. Ground turkey or pork for tacos, turkey meatloaf, roast chicken or pork roast instead of roast beef, chicken burgers....lots of options that way.

Same goes for dairy. There are alternatives for everything. Milk, ice cream, you can even get rice whipped cream now.

And like everyone else said, watch out when you buy vitamins/medications, and check ingredients on everything. I have a dairy intolerance and I have 3 dairy free kids so I can say this from experience....its in everything.
  • Megamus55
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas, i feel i should clarify.....my doctor and I are just starting to figure out what the problem is and i guess i don't fully know if its an allergy or an intollerance yet. I had eliminated all sources of dairy and beef along with other allergens like gluten for a long period of time. All of my symptoms went away. I then began to re-introduce items one at a time and tracked my reaction to them. Beef and dairy both caoused my symptoms to return. Initially i found that I could tollerate small amounts of dairy (like cream in a coffee) and i tried lactose free milk which didn't seem to bug me. Now however that is not the case and I am slowly figuring out what I can and cannot have. I am seeing the Doc on Friday so hopefully I will have more info. Thanks for the ideas.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    People tend to think of allergies as serious reactions and intolerances as mild reactions. But that's not the way it works. Both can be anywhere along the spectrum from mild to severe/fatal.

You can have an allergy that just causes a few sores in your mouth when you eat "too much" of a particular thing. (I have a few likes this.) Or causes a mild rash or itching. Or you can have an allergy that causes vomiting, cuts of breathing, stops the heart, etc. if you are even in the same room with the allergen. (I have a friend who can't be in the same building as eggs are being cooked.)

Same with an intolerance. You may be able to eat a certain amount of the food without it bothering you. You may feel affects as it builds up over time or if you have too much at once. You may be able to eat it without feeling any symptoms even though it is causing damage. It may cause damage to your gut, brain, thyroid, or any body system. It can cause permanent disability or death, but generally over a longer time period than an allergy. Something like lactose intolerance is a mild reaction that causes discomfort but not (as far as I am aware) permanent damage.

And of course, you can have an allergy that goes from mild to anaphylaxis, or that disappears after a few years of not being exposed to the substance. You can have an allergy and an intolerance at the same time (such as a celiac - gluten intolerant - who also has a wheat allergy, or someone who is lactose intolerant and allergic to milk proteins). And if you have an intolerance such as celiac disease that has damaged your system, it may end up causing multiple allergies.

So it is not cut and dried. Both allergy and intolerance testing are in their infancy. You can have a negative scratch test for peanuts and still have an anaphylactic reaction when you consume them. You can have negative bloodwork and colon biopsy for celiac disease and still have celiac disease.

Best advice is to do as OP did - eliminate, see if the symptoms disappear; re-introduce, see if the symptoms reappear. With dairy you may find that you can't tolerate cow's milk but can tolerate goat's milk. With a number of other foods, you may find that you react to GMO, but not non-GMO, or react to one variety but not another.
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    Thanks for the "info" but with people getting so trigger happy these days and not really thinking before they speak, I'm well aware of what "lactose intolerance" vs "allergy" is and I also think that he can manage his options just fine or else he wouldn't be here, well into adult age typing about what to eat because we would have deceased from an allergic reaction already. In most allergic reactions, it is of the IGG type, which means that he would have been exposed to the said "milk" several times before a full anaphylactic reaction. I have Celiac disease AND lactose intolerance. The problem with that is that the general population doesn't care to specify between allergy and intolerance for people like us. For example, I cant go into a restaurant without having to tell the server that I have an allergy not just an intolerance or else I'm not taken as seriously. I also have an allergy to bees that carry Antigen-5... Do you have one of these allergies that you would care to share on? If you do, you are not the only one. I believe the difference in an allergy vs an intolerance would be that an allergy is a immuno specific response of an antigen, usually to a protein...in my case Anti Gliadin A to an antibody thus making an antigen antibody complex in the body creating your...wait for it....allergic reaction, which is immediate. An intolerance, say as in lactose is usually because the body lacks the correct enzyme to metabolize it and results in a delayed reaction. By the way, someone is in big trouble if they are getting recipe suggestions from a website like this and has a serious life threating food allergy.They need to consult a nutritionist and the guidance of a doctor, so, instead of jumping the gun & giving a low rate Immunohematology lesson consider that just because someone has a few posts as opposed to thousands...doesn't mean you need to "educate" instead, wheres your suggestion to help out?
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas, i feel i should clarify.....my doctor and I are just starting to figure out what the problem is and i guess i don't fully know if its an allergy or an intollerance yet. I had eliminated all sources of dairy and beef along with other allergens like gluten for a long period of time. All of my symptoms went away. I then began to re-introduce items one at a time and tracked my reaction to them. Beef and dairy both caoused my symptoms to return. Initially i found that I could tollerate small amounts of dairy (like cream in a coffee) and i tried lactose free milk which didn't seem to bug me. Now however that is not the case and I am slowly figuring out what I can and cannot have. I am seeing the Doc on Friday so hopefully I will have more info. Thanks for the ideas.
    Don't worry, there are plenty of options out there once you get going!! I wouldn't go back even if I had a "cure" My children actually prefer my food over their regular boring food(that is what they call it). Ive thought about totally switching to all gluten free because they love all of my renditions.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Thanks for the "info" but with people getting so trigger happy these days and not really thinking before they speak, I'm well aware of what "lactose intolerance" vs "allergy" is and I also think that he can manage his options just fine or else he wouldn't be here, well into adult age typing about what to eat because we would have deceased from an allergic reaction already. In most allergic reactions, it is of the IGG type, which means that he would have been exposed to the said "milk" several times before a full anaphylactic reaction. I have Celiac disease AND lactose intolerance. The problem with that is that the general population doesn't care to specify between allergy and intolerance for people like us. For example, I cant go into a restaurant without having to tell the server that I have an allergy not just an intolerance or else I'm not taken as seriously. I also have an allergy to bees that carry Antigen-5... Do you have one of these allergies that you would care to share on? If you do, you are not the only one. I believe the difference in an allergy vs an intolerance would be that an allergy is a immuno specific response of an antigen, usually to a protein...in my case Anti Gliadin A to an antibody thus making an antigen antibody complex in the body creating your...wait for it....allergic reaction, which is immediate. An intolerance, say as in lactose is usually because the body lacks the correct enzyme to metabolize it and results in a delayed reaction. By the way, someone is in big trouble if they are getting recipe suggestions from a website like this and has a serious life threating food allergy.They need to consult a nutritionist and the guidance of a doctor, so, instead of jumping the gun & giving a low rate Immunohematology lesson consider that just because someone has a few posts as opposed to thousands...doesn't mean you need to "educate" instead, wheres your suggestion to help out?

I'm sorry if you felt attacked. My comment was not meant in any way as an insult to you. It was merely intended to educate those who are reading the thread, including the OP. You are right, people often do not understand the difference between an allergy and an intolerance. Unfortunately that often includes people who have allergies/intolerances and the professionals who advise them. The stories we could tell! Doctors often don't take the time to educate their patients on how to deal with their allergies, and it is entirely possible that the OP, or others reading the thread, do not know that Lactaid milk is not safe for someone with an allergy, which is what the OP originally said he had.

Thank you for the additional information that you provided.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/split-pea-burgers-recipe/index.html
    easiest veg. burger i've found. just cook, stir, bake
    no blender/masher needed.
    awesome with curry seasonings

more veg. and legume recipes than I can count, and really simple.
    http://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/