Any PESCETARIANS out there?????

Options
I been thinking about becoming a pescetarian. I don't want to be a vegetarian because I can't see myself going without meat (no diss to the vegetarians). That's just my preference. Out of all the different kinds of meat: poultry, beef, pork, etc. Fish is my favorite.
I would like to know if this is a healthy alternative when losing weight. And what are the pros and cons to being a pescetarian if any.

Replies

• Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wanna be one too (in my little school girl voice)! I have heard that it's a really good lifestyle if you can't go full blown vegan. You won't put yourself at risk of all the things eating tons of pork and red meat bring (so I have heard). I need to learn how to cook it other than deep fried. Otherwise, I might as well eat (land) meat.
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I need to learn how to cook it other than deep fried. Otherwise, I might as well eat (land) meat.

Eating fish baked is real good. I like baked tilapia and catfish with fresh lemons or lemon pepper seasoning and smoked salmon. I don't know if you are fimilar with the brand Groton's or not, but they have good fish considering it comes out of a box lol.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just whisk together some olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, basil and oregano and marinate the fish in that for 20 min. Then grill or bake in the oven. My kids love it this way, with a little Old Bay sprinkled on top, of course. We are from Maryland after all.
  • Imaginationmademelove
    Options
    Im A pescetarian and have only been one for 8 months and I don't want to ever go back. The benefits have been astounding and I even got blood tests to make sure it was worth it. It was a smidgen hard at first due to the fact that I could get cheap good quality meat from all around me, I work in a deli, but after a while It wasn't even a consideration to try and eat the meat. I however cant give up sushi :). If it is something you are considering I would give it a try, however dont go cold turkey (pun intended) wean off bit by bit, I never planned to go pescetarian. I gave up red meat, pork followed then so did the rest of it on its own time and terms
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Fish is great for you, generally speaking. But you should consider the potential health risks of farmed and oceanic fish (toxins, mercury, etc)
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I never really planned on going pescetarian, but for the most part it's what my diet consists of. I eat fish pretty much daily - I don't like red meat so seldom eat it, and never buy it. I do on occasion eat chicken and turkey, usually when there isn't an option for fish at a restaurant. I can't really attest as to whether or not it has contributed to my weight loss, but I like to think it offers a lot of benefit to one's health. I've read several articles on the predominantly pescetarian diet consumed by the Japanese, and how it may be a contributing factor to their long life spans and low cancer rates. Although the Japanese are exposed to more environmental toxins than North Americans, their rates of coronary heart disease and cancer are significantly less than in north america.
    One thing you do need to look out for is the toxicity absorption of certain types of fish (mercury absorption for example). As far as my understanding, albacore tuna, swordish, and king mackeral usually contain the highest levels of mercury - so limited intake is recommended for those types of fish.
    I want sashimi now :bigsmile:
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I did it intentionally but....I find that when dieting fish is my friend. Tons of protein and easy! I keep cans of tuna ad canned salmon in my car for quick meals. Fish soup is one of my favorites. I see no negative impact from your considering this way of healthy living.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescetarian since Oct 2012.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I've been a Pescetarian since 2008. It's been great. Love it! Yes, my blood tests have testified to this awesome lifestyle.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    While not a pescetarian entirely, I don't eat a lot of meat or poultry. My freezer is stocked with tons of salmon, swai, tilapia, and flounder. I love sushi and tuna... mmm, delicious tuna melt.