Journaling the Typical... cleaning, chores, etc.

Options
I've noticed a number of my MFP friend logging things like cleaning, doing chores, and things like that. My policy is to never log my "typical." I walk 30 minutes every day back and forth from my job to my parking space, but I don't log it because I've done that every day for a year and it didn't affect my weight loss in any way.

Do you journal the typical? And if so, why or why not?

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    no I don't log the "typical"

I think my daily activity levels are considered with my BMR/TDEE numbers and are already apart of my caloric needs (sedentary, lightly active etc) and to log them would give me back calories that I don't need
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    No, for the same reason. To me, daily activity is daily activity - not exercise..I only log planned, sustained aerobic/cardio exercise.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I also assume that stuff is in my activity level. But I have mfp friends that have set themselves to sedentary when they know they aren't and do record that stuff-sort of a trial and error way to try and gauge what their actual TDEE is. Also, that stuff could produce a good burn for an extremely sedentary out of shape person. After cleaning, packing, renovating, moving, cleaning, unpacking and eating well over maintenance for 2 solid months (and logging about 0 minutes of actual exercise) and losing 7lbs, I'm more than willing to subscribe to the idea that the "regular" stuff can absolutely burn some calories (like a regular diet of pizza hut & McDonalds) even if it's "normal". I don't log it myself-but I should have gained a lot during the move, but lost instead. Those calories got burned somehow. Different strokes for different folks.
  • jessiefreshh
    jessiefreshh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have my settings at sedentary, even though I have a 6 month old, I'm always carrying her (17lbs) while cleaning (vacuuming, mopping, dishes, laundry, Thank God for baby carriers!!) , plus running around playing, picking her up and moving her to change her diaper, feed her while carrying her, the list goes on. So in itself its a workout for me. And then I log my workouts (low impact aerobics) as well. I've been losing weight, so it must be working. I just wasn't comfortable setting my status to lightly active until summer and I start walking outside with her. :) I know you probably see me log my cleaning almost everyday.. lol And the calories MFP says I gain from my 'daily activities' I don't eat back, just in case! I do eat the ones back from my actual workouts though.
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have my lifestyle set to sedentary. I don't log the typical light cleaning or chores. But, I do log the more deep cleaning I do here & there where it really makes me feel like I just ran a marathon. Last weekend was one of those times. My entire family has been sick with the flu this past week so very little cleaning had been done. Just the basic keeping up with kitchen clean-up & laundry. So I really attacked the house Saturday & literally cleaned at a steady pace for atleast 5 hours & also did several more loads of laundry (I can be a bit of a freak when it comes to washing everything after everyone has been sick! lol). However, I didn't log 5 hours of cleaning. I only logged it for 2 hours. Only because I don't want to put myself in a place where I think I have more calories to eat back than I really do.
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I will only log something like cleaning if it is heavy duty cleaning, like deep scrubbing the floors, or organizing storage that I don't do every day and actually feels like it s giving a burn. But things like the ten minute walk to and from ,y sons bus stop, no. I don't log that because its something I do every day and I don't consider it a workout.
  • oAshlio
    oAshlio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I journal the "typical" because it is still apart of my daily workout. My "job" consists of sitting around the house with my three year old a lot so when I do some major cleaning-- which is only a couple times a week, and I spend an hour or so cooking, which the time generally varies each day depending on the meal, I like to log it so I know I did a bit of exercise today. I know it doesnt burn nearly as many calories as sit ups or anything like that, But I do it basically to remind myself that even the little things count as exercise so on days that I dont get to do sit ups or biking or anythng, that my body still got active today. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do not... I figure that into my lifestyle/activity setting when I calculate my calorie targets, so it's already accounted for. I only log actual workouts.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't even log actual exercise.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No. You did those things while you weren't trying to lose weight, what makes them "exercise" now that you are trying to lose weight? Oh yeah, people want to eat more.
  • evalarae
    Options
    does my fitness pal count caloreis burned for weight training?
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do not log things like that. I'd only be cheating myself. Next thing you know people will be logging brushing their teeth and taking a crap. I've actually seen someone ask about calories lost from vomiting :(
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    No but for an obese person who has been very sedentary these may not be the ordinary. Plus, if you have your calorie level at sedentary a major cleaning or gardening push will burn enough calories to have a serious impact. The big problem I see is that the calorie burns I see for these things are so high - I cannot believe that cleaning house burns as many calories as MFP says it does - so they may be kidding themselves.

I don't log it, but there is a certain logic for some very sedentary people.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This is ALWAYS a touchy subject that usually ends up getting one or more users banned.

But I think logging normal activities is ridiculous, and I completely agree that people only do it so they can eat more or artificially inflate their caloric deficit to pretend they are going to lose more pounds in 5 weeks than they actually will.

Proponents of this policy will say "All movements counts," and I pretty much put them in the same category as women who think they will look like bodybuilders if they lift more than 3-lb. dumbbells or that a juice diet is a successful strategy for sustained weight loss. It is all counterproductive to looking good naked, but nobody wants to be told they are wrong, so they won't admit it until they learn it themselves.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't log that stuff. I only consider something a workout if I keep my heart rate elevated for at least 20 minutes!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    When I am being strict I do... why? Because my activity level is set on sedentary (ie sitting on my *kitten* all day) and I don't sit on my *kitten* all day...

And no, I didn't get fat while cleaning... I got fat while consuming too many calories....

How about you do what you feel helps you get to your goals and I will do what helps me get to mine... BTW, I have quite a few friends here that logs ALL activity, including chasing a toddler around, walking the dog, and cleaning and have lost 30+ lbs and they look AWESOME.
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Ususally it's above my normal activity. My BMR is 1263 which means if I do nothing I will burn those calories. So when I clean house, drive my car, do laundry I'm buring more. If I suscribe to the theory that I did it before and wasn't losing so I can't count it, my 4 trips to the gym wouldn't count either. I just like an accurate record. And for me, it's working. I guess this like many other topics should be left up to the user. What ever works, why criticize anyone who choses to do it or not do it?