Greek Yogurt - Texture Issue

Options

Replies

• XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani. I have half a shelf of it in my fridge in all varieties and sizes. Their caramel pineapple is so tasty.
  • pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Uck- I agree dont like greek yogurt but can do other types.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% is very smooth and creamy but much thicker than "regular" yogurt (not runny). It is similar to a sour cream in texture but it is not sour. I buy large tubs of the stuff at Costco and then add to it. While buying yogurt with add-ons already in the package is more convenient I prefer making my own additions so I can prepare it just the way I like and control what's in it. I just add frozen berries but my wfie adds cinnamon and honey with fresh berries.

I'm not sure why some people think of Greek yogurt as a fad. At 18 grams of protein and 100 calories for a 6 oz serving it is one of the most nutritious and lowest caloric sources of protein out there, much better than the traditional yogurt that has about 1/3 of the protein and twice the calories with the fruit on the bottom.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    OIKOS! I had the same problem with grainy texture from Chobani. Definitely a turn off. Tried Oikos and it doesn't have that grainy-ness. Very smooth and the flavors are great. I recommend black cherry.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Dannon Oikos- Best Greek Yogurt Ever!!!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If it's that big of a problem don't eat it. There's no sense in eating foods you don't enjoy.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Chobani and Oikos are both good but I mainly by my Winn Dixie store brand, I actually like it better!
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The best texture would have to be Greek Gods. Holy moly it's amazing. I noticed it's starting to get stocked in Walmart. It used to be only available in certain small groceries. but it's like eating ice cream only not as low cal as some yogurts.
    I personally love Fage but I add stuff (jam, honey, granola, etc.) and mix it so the texture doesn'tbother me.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    OIKOS is amazing greek yogurt sooo smooth and yummy!!

^^^^ this is the only one I have tired for Greek Yogurt and I LOVE it! The blueberry one... MMMMMM
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    haha i'm the opposite. i've eaten greek yogurt, nonfat for 8 months or so and full fat the past couple months, and my usual brand was out (greek gods, athena). i grabbed a stonyfield, not thinking to check if it was greek or not.

when i poured it out, it looked so gooey and smooshy and unappetizing! greek yogurt has body, and a smooth consistency. regular yogurt tastes weird to me now.

and lite yogurt, just no.

any flavored greek yogurt has too much sugar for me. i'd rather add in my own fruits than eat the HFCS mess at the bottom of flavored yogurts.
  • tweishap
    tweishap Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chobani has come out with some super new flavors in a smaller version called BITES and they also have a line called champions which is much smoother texture. Also new the FLIP where the yogurt is separate from the dip (fruit or whatever it is like key lime crumble). My only issue with them is they have more sugar than I'd like but most of it is natural sugar from what I've researched (no worse than what you get when you eat an apple). They have 13 NONFAT flavors as well! Another idea? Cook with them! Check out the website to see more.... (I sound like an ad? My husband works for them.... (smile)
    So I have tried Greek yogurt only once, but I really struggled with the texture...it seemed very grainy and dried out my mouth like a cotton ball. I typically enjoy lite yogurts in pretty much any flavor except vanilla.

Is Greek yogurt really that much better than the lite/fat free yogurts? I'm willing to give it another go - what brands/flavors would you recommend?

Thanks!
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Obviously this is such a personal preference type of food, lol! I like Fage 0% with honey (I can't stand dumping the honey in, though...I just put a little on the spoon and maybe eat half the honey...too sweet otherwise). Love Muller's Greek Corner with Carmelized Almonds, Yopa! with almonds, Chobani Apple/Cinnamon, Pomegranate and Raspberry...I'm all over the map. Obviously I like Greek yogurt:)
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani. I have half a shelf of it in my fridge in all varieties and sizes. Their caramel pineapple is so tasty.

I haven't seen caramel pineapple! I want it!!
  • AngieEmJay
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt...Dannon is my favorite by far. But I like Oikos too!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I eat Chobani plain, and I add my own fruit to it. I do not find it to be grainy in texture, although the consistency is a bit too much like sour cream for me, so I put mine in the freezer for about an hour before I eat it.

The major benefit of Greek yogurt is that it is so high in protein. If you're able to get your protein from other sources, then I wouldn't worry about it. But beware of thinking Greek yogurt has less sugar. That's really only true if you eat it plain. The single serving cups of Chobani that have fruit have 18 g of sugar. Even the vanilla has 13 g per serving. So if you're going to eat it every day, make sure you're planning for it in your calorie/macro totals.
  • melinda3792
    Options
    I super love Oikos, vanilla WAS my fav until the sugars killed my totals..LOL I can't stomache just the plain even with fresh fruit. If you are in the states there is a Greek one that has an awesome protein value as well as fat content. Us Canadians are not privileged yet to get it here..LOL

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/alpina-revive-0-fat-greek-yogurt-antioxidant-berries-18236985
  • shona329
    Options
    OIKOS (by Danone in Canada) is the only one I've tried. the Pomegranate and raspberry is my favourite, and I don't find it grainy at all. I think it has quite ruined me for other types of yogurt, which now taste so gloppy and / or gelatin-y.
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I have tried all kinds of Greek yogurt and don't like texture too & too much tang. I like stoneyfield lowfat yogurt as it is natural and no additives & fake sugar.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat Voskos and Greek gods brands usually.. Plain fat free greek yogurt and i add my own flavoring. Which means I can play with the texture. The flavored varieties add chemicals (preservatives) to it and I don't see the point. I add my own flavoring. Eating it mixed with avocado and black pepper right now. Gets rid of the chemicals this way and it tastes better. Greek yogurt has live cultures which is why it is healthier and it's usually got more protein and it's usually not processed like the other kinds are.
  • lkherna
    lkherna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    They all take a little getting used to... When I first started eating it I would put granola in... now I can eat it plain no prob (no granola)!